HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Mar 20, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #5,686 of 6,622
I have fought an uphill battle since day 1 to keep the line out variable,
1. because it is a feature of the DAC (to directly change volume without re-digitization)
2. because plenty of people in China (for whatever reason) unintentionally or intentionally plug their earphones straight into the line out, with usually predictable results (temporary deafness)
3. because plenty of headphone amps otherwise have way too much gain for their poor little volume pots to control, meaning the user never goes past 8:30 or so on the pot and listens with volume skewed to one side half the time. It would be a service to them to have the line out be variable to act as a second, better volume control.

Having this volume control be separate from the usual headphone out volume, however, appears to be an Android programming challenge that is beyond our means.
Thank you for elaborating.
Well I do like the variable lineout too.
But I think that it's posible to seperate the lineout and headphone out volume control. I think it is similar to the way the fixed lineout in other daps work.
Detect the lineout is used - change to other volume mode.
I don't know if Hiby will investigate in this or not, but if they do it will be an amazing feature.

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #5,687 of 6,622
OK. I've searched through this thread to my limited abilities but I'll be damned if I can figure out the answer to this question so I'm just going to ask it:

Can the R6 play MQA files through its native music player? I know that you can get MQA files through Tidal and play them with the Tidal app but I'm not a Tidal subscriber. I also think I've sussed out that USB Audio Player has a plug-in for MQA? But I'd like to stick to the stock player app if I can (I haven't received my R6 yet so this is all speculation at this point). I'm looking at some David Bowie albums on ProStudioMasters' website and they have 196/24 versions in both FLAC and MQA. Now normally I'd just buy the FLAC versions I'm curious to try MQA if they are playable on the R6.

Any and all advice welcomed. Even "stop asking stupid questions" type advice.

Mar 20, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #5,688 of 6,622
I have searched and searched, but still haven't figured out how to have the list of playlists sort in alphabetical order.
Is there a way to sort the list of playlists in alphabetical order that I'm missing?

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #5,690 of 6,622
What are others experiencing for battery-life running balanced out?
Playing FLAC/mp3, no streaming, wifi and bluetooth antennas turned off, and very little screen time and no other background apps running. Also very few other apps even installed and running on Android 8.

Before when using a 3.5mm TRS unbalanced cable, I was getting great battery life, generally in the ~8-10 hours range per charge if I extrapolate.
Now, I seem hard pressed to get just a few hours. Any ideas?

Still not having a good battery experience here when using the BAL output. Listening around ~20-25 on the volume level setting. I can practically start listening and watch the battery percentage start dropping.
Have been listening for maybe ~30-45mins and have lost about ~10%. Does anyone have any ideas? Wifi and BT off and using little to no screen.
In comparison, battery lasts forever when used with Line Out. Can listen for a few hours and only loose like ~10-15% it seems.

I've also noticed a setting in the OS in the battery section which is somewhat cryptic. There's a battery "mode1" and "mode2". Anyone know what these do or what's different? Couldnt find any documentation about this.

For reference, in the few minutes it took me to find my original post, quote it, type this reply, I've lost 2% of battery.

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #5,691 of 6,622
Still not having a good battery experience here when using the BAL output. Listening around ~20-25 on the volume level setting. I can practically start listening and watch the battery percentage start dropping.
Have been listening for maybe ~30-45mins and have lost about ~10%. Does anyone have any ideas? Wifi and BT off and using little to no screen.
In comparison, battery lasts forever when used with Line Out. Can listen for a few hours and only loose like ~10-15% it seems.

I've also noticed a setting in the OS in the battery section which is somewhat cryptic. There's a battery "mode1" and "mode2". Anyone know what these do or what's different? Couldnt find any documentation about this.

For reference, in the few minutes it took me to find my original post, quote it, type this reply, I've lost 2% of battery.
I am on the 8.1 with the first OTA update. I have not updated to 1.12G yet. Playing mostly 16 bit and some 24 bit (20%) I am getting around 6-7 hours on balanced at around 50 Volume without much screen activity. I have noticed the less I use the screen the dramatically better the battery life is. I set my screen brightness at about 15%. My unit is very bright.

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #5,692 of 6,622
I am on the 8.1 with the first OTA update. I have not updated to 1.12G yet. Playing mostly 16 bit and some 24 bit (20%) I am getting around 6-7 hours on balanced at around 50 Volume without much screen activity. I have noticed the less I use the screen the dramatically better the battery life is. I set my screen brightness at about 15%. My unit is very bright.
Also I am using Neutron Player.

Mar 20, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #5,693 of 6,622

Funny you mentioned that, I have started using the balance out this week and noticed the crazy short battery life in this mode. I am getting around 5h of battery life with Wi-Fi on BT off at 30 volume, high gain (TIDAL Hi-fi) . I will try tomorrow to listen without Wi-Fi on but so far I am not impressed with the battery life of the R6 (I have not updated to the latest OTA of the 8.1 firmware yet... Might do that down the line)

Mar 21, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #5,694 of 6,622
UPDATE: with the help of both Hiby and JRT Software I have narrowed down the issue to JRT's isyncr software. The issue only affects files transferred using that. Good news is the the Hiby R6 is sound. Slightly bad news in that my solution for synchronizing with iTunes has issues but I can work on that with JRT.

Mar 21, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #5,695 of 6,622
OK. I've searched through this thread to my limited abilities but I'll be damned if I can figure out the answer to this question so I'm just going to ask it:

Can the R6 play MQA files through its native music player? I know that you can get MQA files through Tidal and play them with the Tidal app but I'm not a Tidal subscriber. I also think I've sussed out that USB Audio Player has a plug-in for MQA? But I'd like to stick to the stock player app if I can (I haven't received my R6 yet so this is all speculation at this point). I'm looking at some David Bowie albums on ProStudioMasters' website and they have 196/24 versions in both FLAC and MQA. Now normally I'd just buy the FLAC versions I'm curious to try MQA if they are playable on the R6.

Any and all advice welcomed. Even "stop asking stupid questions" type advice.

The stock music player doesn't decode MQA. It is fine to use other players on the R6 with its DTA architecture.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 21, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #5,696 of 6,622
Funny you mentioned that, I have started using the balance out this week and noticed the crazy short battery life in this mode. I am getting around 5h of battery life with Wi-Fi on BT off at 30 volume, high gain (TIDAL Hi-fi) . I will try tomorrow to listen without Wi-Fi on but so far I am not impressed with the battery life of the R6 (I have not updated to the latest OTA of the 8.1 firmware yet... Might do that down the line)

Unfortunately I don't have a metric to provide you for battery life on BAL out prior to the 8.1 upgrade but everything else seems to be about the same when running on the LINE or TRS Headphone out.

Though would like a comment here from someone at Hiby or anyone who knows; What in the world is the difference between "mode1" and "mode2" in the battery settings in 8.1?

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #5,697 of 6,622
Joe,

I'm still trying to resolve the downloading issue out with TIDAL on their Masters tracks and they have come back with the following answer:

Our Developers have researched further and the Hiby R6 is not certified by MQA yet. They have spoken directly to MQA to verify this.

So, in this case, if the device does not properly support MQA, then the output from the TIDAL app will be 96 or 88.2 kHz to AudioTrack.

This means that the device downsamples the audio to 48 kHz

Any help would be appreciated as before TIDAL's recent update MQA was supported correctly on the Hiby R6, going forward this must be a problem on all Hiby R6's or R6 Pro's?

Mar 22, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #5,699 of 6,622
Hi. I'm still having trouble. I narrowed down the issue to isyncr synchronising to the SD Card. During diagnostics I noticed some unusual behaviour. When I take the microSD out, put it in an adapter and plug it into the SD card slot on my mac and it mounts, it only shows a LOST.DIR folder which is empty. Back in the R6 I see all the files. If I copy files to it on the mac those files cannot be seen on the R6. Is this typical?

Perhaps the SD card is faulty (it's a Sandisk Extreme 400GB), and if what I described above it's normal then either that is faulty or there is a problem with MTP on the device or a problem with the SD slot on the device.

Does anyone have a Hiby R6 and a Mac that can confirm what they see if they mount the SD card directly?

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #5,700 of 6,622
Hi. I'm still having trouble. I narrowed down the issue to isyncr synchronising to the SD Card. During diagnostics I noticed some unusual behaviour. When I take the microSD out, put it in an adapter and plug it into the SD card slot on my mac and it mounts, it only shows a LOST.DIR folder which is empty. Back in the R6 I see all the files. If I copy files to it on the mac those files cannot be seen on the R6. Is this typical?

Perhaps the SD card is faulty (it's a Sandisk Extreme 400GB), and if what I described above it's normal then either that is faulty or there is a problem with MTP on the device or a problem with the SD slot on the device.

Does anyone have a Hiby R6 and a Mac that can confirm what they see if they mount the SD card directly?

Chris, I'm using the R6 with a Mac and the contents of my SD card, a 128GB Samsung Evo Plus, are visible on it - I'm using Android File Transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back