HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Mar 18, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #5,671 of 6,622
Quick dumb question for the collective:

I'm expecting delivery of my new R6 "soon". I've currently got a 200 GB micro-SD card with my music on it that I've been using in a Fiio X5III. Am I good to simply move the card into the R6 and perform a scan or should I be reformatting the card and starting from scratch?

Specifically, I'm wondering about the old "Android" folder on the card that has data from the apps that I had installed on the X5III. I'm tempted to simply remove the "Android" folder from the card before installing it in the Hiby.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #5,672 of 6,622

I'm expecting delivery of my new R6 "soon". I've currently got a 200 GB micro-SD card with my music on it that I've been using in a Fiio X5III. Am I good to simply move the card into the R6 and perform a scan or should I be reformatting the card and starting from scratch?

Specifically, I'm wondering about the old "Android" folder on the card that has data from the apps that I had installed on the X5III. I'm tempted to simply remove the "Android" folder from the card before installing it in the Hiby.

Yep.. just put it in. And scan..

Mar 18, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #5,673 of 6,622

In theory, it should be absolutely fine. Put it in and see what happens before reformatting!

Mar 19, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #5,674 of 6,622
Well I got my R6, a 400BG Sandisk Extreme microSD and am using both B&W P7 (wired) and Px (BT). Audio files are ALAC lossless. I'm getting a troubling issue that at random points in songs there is a loud static pop or scratch. The issue persists between wired and wireless. No background apps are running - just Rocket Player (but the issue also affects the HiBy player). The noise happen at the same points (e.g. 11 seconds into Protection by Massive Attack) until I reboot and then it can happen at different times. No EQ.

I'm also getting slight skips at random points.

It's horrible and far behind what I'd expect from something costing over £500.

This isn't an issue of poppings at the start and end of tracks, but during playback.

Mar 19, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #5,675 of 6,622
Well I got my R6, a 400BG Sandisk Extreme microSD and am using both B&W P7 (wired) and Px (BT). Audio files are ALAC lossless. I'm getting a troubling issue that at random points in songs there is a loud static pop or scratch. The issue persists between wired and wireless. No background apps are running - just Rocket Player (but the issue also affects the HiBy player). The noise happen at the same points (e.g. 11 seconds into Protection by Massive Attack) until I reboot and then it can happen at different times. No EQ.

I'm also getting slight skips at random points.

It's horrible and far behind what I'd expect from something costing over £500.

This isn't an issue of poppings at the start and end of tracks, but during playback.

Troubling indeed. Obvious one but is your FW up-to-date?

Mar 19, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #5,678 of 6,622
Not sure. Could be WiFi or BT interference. Are either/both on when listening?
I had a bad Sandisk mSD card that caused skipping and pauses on my DX90. That was the conclusion after a multitude of FW reloads, factory resets, reformatting and file reloads - Sandisk replaced under warranty and it fixed the problem. Suggest trying another SD card if you have one to see if the problems persist and take it from there.

Cheers,
Tim

Mar 19, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #5,679 of 6,622
I had a bad Sandisk mSD card that caused skipping and pauses on my DX90. That was the conclusion after a multitude of FW reloads, factory resets, reformatting and file reloads - Sandisk replaced under warranty and it fixed the problem. Suggest trying another SD card if you have one to see if the problems persist and take it from there.

Cheers,
Tim

Think I saw in this thread that somebody was having an issue with a SanDisk card do definitely worth trying another. I'm using a Samsung which works without issue.

Mar 19, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #5,680 of 6,622
Well I just copied one of the tracks to local storage and played it with Hiby and it did the same thing at the same point. It's not the SD card. To double-check I played the same song on iTunes on my iMac and that was fine.
I think it's software related as a reboot resets the crackle point but it's really bad. My wife heard it in the other room.
It's not the output either as it's happening on wireless, wired and also the line-out (analog).

EDIT: Here's a link to a short (15 seconds) recording I made from the line-out to a Zoom H1n recorder. The crackle happens 10 seconds into the audio. https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wy7dgnhd9mcr3y/ZOOM0009.WAV?dl=0

EDIT2: I think the issue is only happening on ALAC (m4a) files (or at least anything with a high bitrate. So far MP3 files (320kbps or lower) are not producing the issue. As an experiment I converted an ALAC file to FLAC, MP3, WAV and DSD. I could not replicate the issue on those but that was just one song, and a second copy of the ALAC file did not repeat the issue.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #5,681 of 6,622
@teston, thank you for bringing up this topic. I am in the same boat with my recently acquired R6 Pro. At least give a setting option like AK Kann where you can set the line out port volume to fixed or variable as I am also using R6 pro for my car and external amp as well. With the current design, I am almost sure one of these days someone will seriously injure their hearing by forgetting to turn down the volume from 100% when switching from line out port to headphone ports.

@Joe Bloggs, please please work with Hibby to release a new firmware that fix this issue in both R6 and R6 Pro before the unfortunate event happens to one or more R6 or R6 Pro users. An update to this serious usability issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I have fought an uphill battle since day 1 to keep the line out variable,
1. because it is a feature of the DAC (to directly change volume without re-digitization)
2. because plenty of people in China (for whatever reason) unintentionally or intentionally plug their earphones straight into the line out, with usually predictable results (temporary deafness)
3. because plenty of headphone amps otherwise have way too much gain for their poor little volume pots to control, meaning the user never goes past 8:30 or so on the pot and listens with volume skewed to one side half the time. It would be a service to them to have the line out be variable to act as a second, better volume control.

Having this volume control be separate from the usual headphone out volume, however, appears to be an Android programming challenge that is beyond our means.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 19, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #5,682 of 6,622
Well I just copied one of the tracks to local storage and played it with Hiby and it did the same thing at the same point. It's not the SD card. To double-check I played the same song on iTunes on my iMac and that was fine.
I think it's software related as a reboot resets the crackle point but it's really bad. My wife heard it in the other room.
It's not the output either as it's happening on wireless, wired and also the line-out (analog).

EDIT: Here's a link to a short (15 seconds) recording I made from the line-out to a Zoom H1n recorder. The crackle happens 10 seconds into the audio. https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wy7dgnhd9mcr3y/ZOOM0009.WAV?dl=0

EDIT2: I think the issue is only happening on ALAC (m4a) files (or at least anything with a high bitrate. So far MP3 files (320kbps or lower) are not producing the issue. As an experiment I converted an ALAC file to FLAC, MP3, WAV and DSD. I could not replicate the issue on those but that was just one song, and a second copy of the ALAC file did not repeat the issue.
Can you copy the problem file back out of the R6 onto your computer and run an md5 checksum check of it against the original?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 19, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #5,683 of 6,622
Think I saw in this thread that somebody was having an issue with a SanDisk card do definitely worth trying another. I'm using a Samsung which works without issue.

That was probably me. As an update to my issues, a full proper reformatting of the card seems to have fixed my randomly missing track issues, for now.

Mar 20, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #5,685 of 6,622
Can you copy the problem file back out of the R6 onto your computer and run an md5 checksum check of it against the original?

I could, but note that if I reboot the location of the static changes. It's also affecting files I ripped from CD as ALAC, files I bought from a store as FLAC and ran though XLD and files I bought from a store as ALAC. I'll try it so anything can be ruled out at least.

UPDATE: MD5 checksum matches. The file hasn't changed.

Also I confirm this is happening to Apple Lossless only. MP3 and AAC is unaffected. At this point I don't know if filesize is a factor, so I'm going to add a bunch of FLAC to try and reproduce the issue there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back