HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Dec 1, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #4,831 of 6,628
Hello guys,

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm new at this. I'm trying to connect my R6 to my external DAC via line out. Are there any settings I need to apply to get it to work? Thank you very much for your time gents, I look forward to any replies.

regards,

Kevin

Dec 1, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #4,832 of 6,628
Hello guys,

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm new at this. I'm trying to connect my R6 to my external DAC via line out. Are there any settings I need to apply to get it to work? Thank you very much for your time gents, I look forward to any replies.

regards,

Kevin
What DAC? DAC's require a digital signal not analog unless your only using the amp section in it.

Dec 1, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #4,833 of 6,628
Hello guys,

regards,

Kevin
Hi Keven!

If you are wanting to run the signal through a DAC, you need it to be digital so it bypasses the on-board DAC of the R6. I don't have my R6 in front of me (as I am out of town and forgot to pack it), but in the settings, there should be an option to make the line out jack either "Line Out" which is an analog signal to send to an external amplifier, or "COAX Out", which is the digital signal you need to use an external DAC. Once you change the setting to COAX Out and manage to connect with your DAC, then it should work. Well, one other thing...you have to make sure you have the right cable and adapter for the DAC and R6 so you can use the COAX Out.

I hope that helps but I ask that anyone with their R6 available to them to please provide more detailed steps. Hey, we all have to learn the basics and start somewhere. If you never ask questions, then you will never learn.

Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug::beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #4,835 of 6,628
Hello guys,

regards,

Kevin
If using a DAC I suppose you are trying to supply the DAC with digital signal. Then you should set the line out to Coax mode and use the supplied 3.5 mm to RCA coax cable. You may need an adaptor as what is supplied in the box is male to male. BTW the 3.5mm cable that came with Fiio X3ii which was my previous DAP works too. Hope this helps.

Dec 1, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #4,836 of 6,628
If using a DAC I suppose you are trying to supply the DAC with digital signal. Then you should set the line out to Coax mode and use the supplied 3.5 mm to RCA coax cable. You may need an adaptor as what is supplied in the box is male to male. BTW the 3.5mm cable that came with Fiio X3ii which was my previous DAP works too. Hope this helps.
Yeah...what KKFA said...:ksc75smile:

Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Dec 2, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #4,837 of 6,628
Hi Keven!

If you are wanting to run the signal through a DAC, you need it to be digital so it bypasses the on-board DAC of the R6. I don't have my R6 in front of me (as I am out of town and forgot to pack it), but in the settings, there should be an option to make the line out jack either "Line Out" which is an analog signal to send to an external amplifier, or "COAX Out", which is the digital signal you need to use an external DAC. Once you change the setting to COAX Out and manage to connect with your DAC, then it should work. Well, one other thing...you have to make sure you have the right cable and adapter for the DAC and R6 so you can use the COAX Out.

I hope that helps but I ask that anyone with their R6 available to them to please provide more detailed steps. Hey, we all have to learn the basics and start somewhere. If you never ask questions, then you will never learn.

Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug::beerchug:
-HK sends
If you’re connecting from the USB C port to say a Hugo 2 or a Mojo, which I want to do, which setting then? Thanks

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #4,838 of 6,628
If you’re connecting from the USB C port to say a Hugo 2 or a Mojo, which I want to do, which setting then? Thanks

As far as I know, you can't use the USB C port to a Hugo 2 or a Mojo.

You can only use the coax port (which is the 3.5mm jack, but you use a 4 pole coax plug to a 2 pole coax plug) to connect to a Hugo 2 or Mojo.

This is different from the R3, which does what you are thinking, connecting a USB-C to USB micro, similar to the Cayin n5ii.

I actually prefer the coax cable, because it allows me to charge the R6 via the USB C while using the coax to run digital to the Hugo 2 or Mojo.

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #4,839 of 6,628

You can only use the coax port (which is the 3.5mm jack, but you use a 4 pole coax plug to a 2 pole coax plug) to connect to a Hugo 2 or Mojo.

This is different from the R3, which does what you are thinking, connecting a USB-C to USB micro, similar to the Cayin n5ii.

I actually prefer the coax cable, because it allows me to charge the R6 via the USB C while using the coax to run digital to the Hugo 2 or Mojo.

I successfully play off the USB port into my Mutec MC3+USB (USB-C/USB-B cable)
If I recall correctly, I just connect the cable and play. Nothing more to it (my R6 is in repairs, so it's from the top of my head).
If I'm wrong, then there's a USB popup menue to choose from.

The SQ off the coax is better in my opinion. And yes, you can charge your device at the same time. However....If you use a long coax cable, it'll pick up interferences. That's because the pinout on the port is reversed: data through the shield, the core is the ground. Very odd. My cable is 3m long, and every time I turn on the lights, the signal drops.

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #4,840 of 6,628

Hi - you can use the USB-C port. I’m doing it. I just want to know which of the audio settings is best: line out or spdif.

Dec 2, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #4,842 of 6,628
Hi - you can use the USB-C port. I’m doing it. I just want to know which of the audio settings is best: line out or spdif.
Hi if using the USB C port there should not be any setting of line out or coax. I believe this setting only affects the lineout/coax jack on the top of the player.

If you want to take digital out of the USB C it should be possible but the setting should in Android so using this might nullify the touted DTA for R6. You may also require a special OTA cable. Dont know whether a C to micro OTA cable is available for this.
I stand corrected if thethe above is incorrect.

Dec 2, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #4,843 of 6,628
If the Hiby music app is anything like the one on Android then it would send digital out through USB out without SRC. I dont have the R6 yet to try it on the device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back