HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Apr 2, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #2,371 of 6,622
The R3 takes on a warmer approach than the R6. The R6 is more detailed with additional crisp at the top end and the midrange has better transparency. :beyersmile:
The result is really eye (and ear) opening with the Custom Art Harmony 8.2 (and the R6). Those are CIEMs with 8 drivers and an output impedance of only 15ohms. And the result is nothing short of delightfull. There's no lack of any frequency with these multiarmature. So much so that I prefer these to the FIBAE 3 I had also ordered (and those are built to sound the same with high and low OI). I'm really impressed by this DAP.
So you should really test the low impedance IEMs with the R6 (or read comments from other people) because the results seem to vary, and some do sound extremely well without adapter.
The DAP offers lots of microdetails, the bass is powerfull but well controled, you're sure to discover some records as if it was the first time you listened to them.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #2,373 of 6,622
At the moment only through indiegogo. Hiby have said that they are looking to close that soon and open it up to full retail. Meaning amazon and the like.

Apr 2, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #2,374 of 6,622
I have the X7 II now and thinking to get the R6 to compare, indiegogo it is then.

is the R6 marketed as their flagship? judging from the price bracket, it is closer to the X5 III which is not flagship.

BTW, how does the dual DAC work? will it only operate that way on balanced out via 2.5mm?

How about when I use it as DAC to my balanced external amp, via RCA?

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #2,375 of 6,622
Hi George,
Hope you are enjoying R6 and please compare it to DX200 and X7 II which will be great!!!!
I never really liked the EQ on any other players (except Cowon), they drop the volume when you enable EQ and it did not change the sound much. I think Cowon JetEffects is the best EQ, when you said R6 betters that I got very curious.

Does R6 drop volume when EQ or MageSound is enabled?

I promise to post an in-depth comparison when I review it :)

I really loved Cowon J3 and its EQ thingy, and R6's Magic Ball is much better this time around.

Enabling it will not lower the main volume, and its enhancements are even more intriguing than Cowon pulled off with their J3, basically, Hiby managed to implement a rather complex set of DSPs, most of which are clever EQ's which will give you music a sense of whatever you want it to get. Like in, I am actually impressed by it more than any EQ I tried before, this makes things easier than manually EQ'ing something, but still yields better results :)

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #2,376 of 6,622
I promise to post an in-depth comparison when I review it :)

I really loved Cowon J3 and its EQ thingy, and R6's Magic Ball is much better this time around.

Enabling it will not lower the main volume, and its enhancements are even more intriguing than Cowon pulled off with their J3, basically, Hiby managed to implement a rather complex set of DSPs, most of which are clever EQ's which will give you music a sense of whatever you want it to get. Like in, I am actually impressed by it more than any EQ I tried before, this makes things easier than manually EQ'ing something, but still yields better results :)
George and ALL, thanks for all the replies.

I will be looking forward to your comparison review. I really hate the EQ on FiiO players, they drop volume significantly when engaged (they say it to avoid clipping but, I really don't like that). Hope R6 is different from that.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #2,377 of 6,622
I have the X7 II now and thinking to get the R6 to compare, indiegogo it is then.

is the R6 marketed as their flagship? judging from the price bracket, it is closer to the X5 III which is not flagship.

BTW, how does the dual DAC work? will it only operate that way on balanced out via 2.5mm?

I dont have the X7 II. Some reviews already pointed the R6 in the same league soundwise (and even better). It’s more resolving than what I have here : Cayin N5 I or Hidizs AP200. Or LG V10 and V20. My only portable 'source' that can compete is a Chord Mojo. I have to listen more to compare those two on different records. Also with other headphones, I have used CIEMs and Fostex TH-X00 (and EMU teck) until now...
The price difference comes from crowdfunding and the use of mobile ESS DACs... instead of more expensive desktop pro serie DAC chips. Not sure you'll hear a big difference with anything less than 9038 pro.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #2,378 of 6,622
Just pulled the trigger on one of these. Now for the waiting game!

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #2,379 of 6,622
Just got mine, #704 SS. I have some other irons in the fire at the moment, so it's up for sale (unopened!) if anyone wants a Hiby in their hands this week..!

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #2,380 of 6,622

R6 is somewhat above X5-3, closer to X7mkii, not only in detail, but also in signautre. X5-3 is much smoother, not as revealing, R6 feels more neutral by comparison, has much more better treble :)

It is supposed to be Hiby's Flagship at this moment, AFAIK :)

Apr 2, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #2,381 of 6,622
Apr 2, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #2,382 of 6,622
Thanks everyone for all the help and information, I just made an order of these last night, Thanks for hawaiibadboy for His reviews and made me decide. Much love everyone, This Hiby R6, will kick out of AK120, I owned for a long time! Much love to Joebloggs for his information as well! Thank U all and waiting game begins! Hahaha

Apr 2, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #2,383 of 6,622
Thanks everyone for all the help and information, I just made an order of these last night, Thanks for hawaiibadboy for His reviews and made me decide. Much love everyone, This Hiby R6, will kick out of AK120, I owned for a long time! Much love to Joebloggs for his information as well! Thank U all and waiting game begins! Hahaha

Hopefully your wait won't be as long as my wait for Massdrop's 6xx... August 13th. Gah. :confounded:

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #2,384 of 6,622
i think about a hundred made a week is decent. As long as we get our hands on one before a better dap comes out I think we’ll be happy.

Something to note, there are a lot of reputable sellers on Taobao claiming to have the R6’s in stock for RMB 3,298, which is about the same price as IG. If you can pick a fast courier ($) Ive had items arrive in north america in 3 business days. Maybe HiBy distributed a bunch of stock to retailers in China at launch since locals there arent familiar with IG and Taobao has their own crowd funding section.

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #2,385 of 6,622
Just places an order over the weekend! Can't wait to get my hands on this, currently DAP-less after I sold my previous DAP

i think about a hundred made a week is decent. As long as we get our hands on one before a better dap comes out I think we’ll be happy.

Something to note, there are a lot of reputable sellers on Taobao claiming to have the R6’s in stock for RMB 3,298, which is about the same price as IG. If you can pick a fast courier ($) Ive had items arrive in north america in 3 business days. Maybe HiBy distributed a bunch of stock to retailers in China at launch since locals there arent familiar with IG and Taobao has their own crowd funding section.

IIRC, Hiby started selling in the China market first before going on IGG?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back