HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Apr 4, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #2,403 of 6,622
Apr 4, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #2,405 of 6,622
So after weeks of research I finally decided on getting a Hiby R6. Then to my disbelief, the day I go to make my order on the indigogo page, was the day that the indigogo campaign shut down. damn

I contacted Hiby last night asking about the retail launch and they actually got back with me in a couple hours.

Here's the email I received from Hiby on April 4th:

"Unfortunately our indiegogo has been closed. and we will start to sell on other channels after we shipped out all the IGG orders, you could follow our Facebook to get update, We should be start selling R6 in few weeks

HiBy Music"

Tick tock

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #2,406 of 6,622
Hi there!

Any further feedback on the R6 paired with the Meze 99 Classics?

Match made in heaven, The 99 classics being on the warmer side of neutral and the R6 sounding a little cooler balances things out perfectly. The Meze sounds like a beast out of the R6, specially the dynamics and soundstage. Feels like everything is just focused and pristine.

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #2,407 of 6,622
Match made in heaven, The 99 classics being on the warmer side of neutral and the R6 sounding a little cooler balances things out perfectly. The Meze sounds like a beast out of the R6, specially the dynamics and soundstage. Feels like everything is just focused and pristine.

Thanks, it wasn't on balanced was it?

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #2,408 of 6,622
So after weeks of research I finally decided on getting a Hiby R6. Then to my disbelief, the day I go to make my order on the indigogo page, was the day that the indigogo campaign shut down. damn

I contacted Hiby last night asking about the retail launch and they actually got back with me in a couple hours.

Here's the email I received from Hiby on April 4th:

"Unfortunately our indiegogo has been closed. and we will start to sell on other channels after we shipped out all the IGG orders, you could follow our Facebook to get update, We should be start selling R6 in few weeks

HiBy Music"

Tick tock

It seems as above that penon now has them on order and according to the site in stock. IF that's true that's a little bit of a kicker considering there are those of us who have pledged earlier and been waiting patiently (or not!). I reckon as good as the player is (or seems to be) this will be my last kickstarter/indiegogo campaign for quite sometime. Particularly as some other smaller companies seem to be able to release new models without resorting to these platforms.

Apr 4, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #2,410 of 6,622
It seems as above that penon now has them on order and according to the site in stock. IF that's true that's a little bit of a kicker considering there are those of us who have pledged earlier and been waiting patiently (or not!). I reckon as good as the player is (or seems to be) this will be my last kickstarter/indiegogo campaign for quite sometime. Particularly as some other smaller companies seem to be able to release new models without resorting to these platforms.
The crowdfunding campaign was excellent though. Hiby shipped on time, even with this impressive number of backers, it's not often the case.
But you're right many chinese companies begin to sell elsewhere right after the campaign ends. And sometimes before every backer recieves its pledge.
And then there is the problem of beta firmwares, absent features and bugs. Not especially thinking about Hiby and R6, but about other devices with hiby software. Android DAPs seem especially hard to master for some engineering teams... You wait for a promised feature and it never comes. And then you see the team starting another crowdfunding campaign for the next device, not bothering with the delivery of the promised features and stable firmware.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #2,411 of 6,622
Finally got around to dusting off an old pair of Beyerdynamic DT250/250 ohm to try with the R6. A very underrated over ear closed HP. Boy oh boy do these things sing with the R6. Plenty of power and control. No point supplying a photo as they’re damn ugly...but ohhhh the sounds.

Apr 5, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #2,412 of 6,622
Yeah, the penon thing is honestly bothering me now. I ordered in early February on IGG and would love to have paid 60 extra dollars to get it by now, but I'm still waiting to receive notification that mine has shipped.

Apparently I could just order it from penon NOW, two whole months later, and it'd ship for sure in the next day or two whereas who knows for my IGG order....

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #2,413 of 6,622
Yeah, the penon thing is honestly bothering me now. I ordered in early February on IGG and would love to have paid 60 extra dollars to get it by now, but I'm still waiting to receive notification that mine has shipped.

Apparently I could just order it from penon NOW, two whole months later, and it'd ship for sure in the next day or two whereas who knows for my IGG order....

So what's your explanation @Joe Bloggs?

Delays because of quality rejections... But enough units to supply Penon?

Feels to me like the big money is more important than backers who funded.

Big fail.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #2,414 of 6,622
if IGG was refundable, this would give users a choice to pay extra to buy it asap from Penon. Having said that, can I pay extra to HiBy to ship mine out tomorrow? haha

perhaps for future projects, they should leave a larger time gap between when funding ends and when retailers would get stock to ship. I understand that the company is eager to sell units and keep the momentum going, but after this experience, good luck getting people to crowdfund your projects. People here have money to spend and 10% more for stock isn’t out of reach at all.

All eyes on the R3 project now, when it ends, and when retailers will have stock.

Apr 5, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #2,415 of 6,622
Before jumping on the hate HiBy wagon I reckon you should wait to see the response from @Joe Bloggs, secondarily retailers have a opportunity to buy from them at Indiegogo just like us so they can sell them sooner than normal retail dates. So let the team respond before jumping down their throats guys! :) They’ve been excellent so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back