HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Feb 26, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #1,846 of 6,622
Hello ying27,

Yes, the line out volume is currently adjustable on the R6. This is a feature of the DAC itself (hence it is a true line out) but often leaves users of previous fixed line outs a little confused and doubtful, so we don't know if we'll be keeping the feature :thinking:

I don't think anyone should have any doubts about it, you shouldn't remove a feature just because it is new, I think this could come in handy for those who have a fixed voltage input car head audio thingy, and y'know, if the LO voltage is too high, that can enter clipping, so your variable option should be pretty good, as long as the signal is crystal clear

Especially since LO can be used in appliances where this can happen, I think having variable level is a good thing.

main-qimg-df76072e1d8ba3f1455b10715579c360

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #1,847 of 6,622
I don't think anyone should have any doubts about it, you shouldn't remove a feature just because it is new, I think this could come in handy for those who have a fixed voltage input car head audio thingy, and y'know, if the LO voltage is too high, that can enter clipping, so your variable option should be pretty good, as long as the signal is crystal clear

Especially since LO can be used in appliances where this can happen, I think having variable level is a good thing.

main-qimg-df76072e1d8ba3f1455b10715579c360
I concur. @Joe Bloggs , keep this feature. Are use the variable line out on my Astell & Kern KANN quite frequently, it is helpful with certain external amps and vintage equipment.

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #1,849 of 6,622
Correct me if I am wrong....

But isn't it when you alter the volume in a pre amps stage(if that's the way its implemented on the R6) . You are tinkering with the bit perfect out?
I’m not exactly sure how the ESS saber DAC alters its voltage out, it may or may not alter the bit perfect nature of the audio. But if you have distorted waveforms due to too much amplitude, would you prefer that over an un-distorted waveform that was not exactly bit perfect? I’ll take the latter.

There is literally zero negative to this approach; if you are concerned, and you have no distorted way forms, simply use full volume out.

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #1,850 of 6,622
I’m not exactly sure how the ESS saber DAC alters its voltage out, it may or may not alter the bit perfect nature of the audio. But if you have distorted waveforms due to too much amplitude, would you prefer that over an un-distorted waveform that was not exactly bit perfect? I’ll take the latter.

There is literally zero negative to this approach; if you are concerned, and you have no distorted way forms, simply use full volume out.

Oh don't get me wrong. It's indeed better to leave that option in. Best of both worlds here.

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #1,851 of 6,622
A few units need to be returned because of a faulty SD card slot

I haven’t had a chance to test the SD card slot yet, but now I am going to do so ASAP. I’m wondering what you mean by “faulty” — what should I be watching for, out of curiosity? I’m assuming it’s a different issue than the one reported by saykong.

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #1,853 of 6,622
Hello ying27,

Yes, the line out volume is currently adjustable on the R6. This is a feature of the DAC itself (hence it is a true line out) but often leaves users of previous fixed line outs a little confused and doubtful, so we don't know if we'll be keeping the feature :thinking:

While it is apparent a small amount of users simply do not understand the added value of a variable preamp , it is not at all a reason to remove it ...GEEZUS
While using powered monitors/speakers, being able to control volume at the player as opposed leaning/reaching (behind in many cases) each monitor to adjust is a beautiful thing. (Think LSR 305's, a super popular desktop monitor)
Please don't remove this feature for a few users just trying to find their way in the dark.
Perhaps a toggle, would be the sweet solution?
Of course one could use the HO for this, as the R6 has an exceptionally good signal, but my point is to not strip out features for a handful that don't understand them.
I fear next, you'll be removing the pre amp from the EQ .

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #1,854 of 6,622
I haven’t had a chance to test the SD card slot yet, but now I am going to do so ASAP. I’m wondering what you mean by “faulty” — what should I be watching for, out of curiosity? I’m assuming it’s a different issue than the one reported by saykong.
If your R6 detects the SD card and can play music from it you're fine.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 26, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #1,856 of 6,622
Have been using my R6 for over 3 weeks, including 100hrs of burn in. Really enjoy the speed of the UI , it's a breath of fresh air as I only experienced this speed with the Only DP1A

Some quick comments, after +3 weeks:

• Device build is solid and weight is pretty well balanced
  • UI is very stable and fast
  • Screen brightness and resolution is a 2x other DAP's
  • Battery performance is pretty good it's lasting over 5 hrs , with will fi off and only music playing. Have seen some variation when using Spotify, Tidal,etc assuming is the whole app optimization
  • Music settings are Ok , but I liked added settings from Only as an example
  • On the player app I have issues with subfolders. For example if I have a folder with multiple artists and each one has a folder with the album and then the individual track, I can play individually but there is no option to "play all" as in Asktell Kern, Onkyo as example of this feature
  • Have noticed good increase on device temperature if streaming for over 1ht, but also noticed this on Hidizs AP200. Not sure what drives this
  • Huge variation on sound with IEM's, understand that this is due to the impedance from my forum reading. However I thought prior to my unit arriving that it was for those people with pretty good ear for small changes , however it is really, really noticeable. I found that my darker IEM's Westone W50 sound better thab other IEM's. This is surprising as these are very dark IEM's
  • Also noticed that shielding from WiFi interference is average, even my Hidizs AP200 tend to do a better job and that is not saying much
  • Button layout, physical feedback,etc is fantastic
  • Would have like to have the top drop down menu to include more than just what is shows currently

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #1,857 of 6,622
Have been using my R6 for over 3 weeks, including 100hrs of burn in. Really enjoy the speed of the UI , it's a breath of fresh air as I only experienced this speed with the Only DP1A

Some quick comments, after +3 weeks:

• Device build is solid and weight is pretty well balanced
  • UI is very stable and fast
  • Screen brightness and resolution is a 2x other DAP's
  • Battery performance is pretty good it's lasting over 5 hrs , with will fi off and only music playing. Have seen some variation when using Spotify, Tidal,etc assuming is the whole app optimization
  • Music settings are Ok , but I liked added settings from Only as an example
  • On the player app I have issues with subfolders. For example if I have a folder with multiple artists and each one has a folder with the album and then the individual track, I can play individually but there is no option to "play all" as in Asktell Kern, Onkyo as example of this feature
  • Have noticed good increase on device temperature if streaming for over 1ht, but also noticed this on Hidizs AP200. Not sure what drives this
  • Huge variation on sound with IEM's, understand that this is due to the impedance from my forum reading. However I thought prior to my unit arriving that it was for those people with pretty good ear for small changes , however it is really, really noticeable. I found that my darker IEM's Westone W50 sound better thab other IEM's. This is surprising as these are very dark IEM's
  • Also noticed that shielding from WiFi interference is average, even my Hidizs AP200 tend to do a better job and that is not saying much
  • Button layout, physical feedback,etc is fantastic
  • Would have like to have the top drop down menu to include more than just what is shows currently

you're only seeing about 5 hours battery life, even with wifi off? That doesn't sound good at all.

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #1,860 of 6,622
@Joe Bloggs (or anyone else) - any recommendation (or warnings) regarding which QC3.0 charger should I get for the R6?
Would any Anker / iClever / Belkin that is QC3.0 certified do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back