HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Feb 25, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #1,816 of 6,622
I have a pair of AAW W900 on the way and wonder if this would be a good pairing for them. I also ordered a balanced 2.5mm vitesse silver cable with it. Will this give it the power it craves? Cause the W900 gets better sounding with more power.
Also how long will it take to deliver if I purchase a black aluminum one?

Not sure who told you this info, W900 is a very efficient and easy to drive hybrid iem (16ohm, 108dB sensitivity). I just tried it with R6, using 2.5mm terminated EA Thor II+ on Low gain with a volume set at 42/100, and it sounds on par with my other DAPs, maybe with a little more weight in sub-bass.

Feb 25, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #1,817 of 6,622
I demoed the w900 in the tour and drove it with my note 8. It sound like any other iem, but when I connected it to my Mac pro it was a huge difference, everything came alive. I then added the fiio q1 amp and it gave a little more oomph on top.

I now have a ibasso dx90 and would like to upgrade into something with streaming and android.

Looking at onkyo dp-x1a and the hiby r6.

Feb 25, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #1,818 of 6,622
@twister6 how does the pairing of the w900 and r6 compares to the pairing of w900 and dx200 (both balanced and SE).
Was thinking about the dx200 but don't like that it don't have full android and kind of restricted.

Really interested to see if I'm missing out on sound quality by going with the r6 in comparison with the DX200.

And where is the DP-X1A in this race? is it even worth mentioning?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #1,819 of 6,622
@twister6 how does the pairing of the w900 and r6 compares to the pairing of w900 and dx200 (both balanced and SE).
Was thinking about the dx200 but don't like that it don't have full android and kind of restricted.

Really interested to see if I'm missing out on sound quality by going with the r6 in comparison with the DX200.

And where is the DP-X1A in this race? is it even worth mentioning?

Of course, comparing a smartphone to a DAP will yield an improvement when using a dedicated source in this case. But I would call IEM or full size cans a power hungry if you really need to step it up to a more powerful amp to drive higher impedance load, or less efficient drivers, etc. For a portable use, W900 is ok with a DAP.

I don't have any experience with Onkyo/Pioner daps, sorry. With DX200, depending on amp module selection the sound will scale up, iBasso have tweaked their fw over the past year to improve the sound and the latest amp modules are pretty good. But as they say, sky the limit. DX200 is a flagship level DAP around $900 where you need to invest more to buy additional amps to scale it up even further, and you can go higher in the food chain to $2k LPG or $3.2k WM1Z, or $3.5k SP1000. R6 is $509 (aluminum version) and pretty damn good for what it does. Figure out your budget limit first, then your requirements (power, OS, streaming, bluetooth, balanced, battery, etc), and narrow down the list based on Pros/Cons, depending on your priorities. That should help you choose the one you need.

Feb 25, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #1,821 of 6,622
Price range is sub $600 Which leans me toward r6. Thanks @twister6
The Onkyo you mention I think it has a Sabre DAC identical to those used on the DX90 which is archaic tech nowadays. The R6 on the other hand comes with the newer generation ESS chips.

I'm not a big fan of Sabre tbh and that's why I hesitated pledging for the R6 in the first place, but If the DAC is anything to go by, that Onlyo should be transparent airy but lacking oomph and musicality at the same time and the related reviews I just checked verify that verdict.

Plus I don't see a point in investing in hardware of yesteryear and that Sabre chip it carries is such.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #1,824 of 6,622
R6 is a great little DAP, pairs brilliant with my B&W P7W I think.

Although... I have received an import tax fee or whatever for £19 I have to pay, no bother, makes it around £370. To me, this was money well spent, no doubt at all.

Now... just trying to figure out a set of new IEM's... fiio fh1??? Ety ER3/4XR? fiio f9 pro?? Anything else??

Looking for the best IEM's for realism for rock and acoustic music/ singer song writer music. FH1's are looking like a great bargain from reviews...

Feb 25, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #1,825 of 6,622
R6 is a great little DAP, pairs brilliant with my B&W P7W I think.

Although... I have received an import tax fee or whatever for £19 I have to pay, no bother, makes it around £370. To me, this was money well spent, no doubt at all.

Now... just trying to figure out a set of new IEM's... fiio fh1??? Ety ER3/4XR? fiio f9 pro?? Anything else??

Looking for the best IEM's for realism for rock and acoustic music/ singer song writer music. FH1's are looking like a great bargain from reviews...

Probably lean away from the Fiio earphones if you're looking for realism, however, the F9 Pro is quite good for acoustic as it's very crisp and slightly warm. The ER4XR is the most balanced of the models listed, I would personally consider it to be slightly bright, but it's certainly very technical and well extended.

Are you looking for something similar to the P7W? The Etymotic will sound quite lean by comparison. What is your estimated budget?

Feb 25, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #1,826 of 6,622
Probably lean away from the Fiio earphones if you're looking for realism, however, the F9 Pro is quite good for acoustic as it's very crisp and slightly warm. The ER4XR is the most balanced of the models listed, I would personally consider it to be slightly bright, but it's certainly very technical and well extended.

Are you looking for something similar to the P7W? The Etymotic will sound quite lean by comparison. What is your estimated budget?
hey, dont really have a budget per se, I am value minded though. I'll spend the cash as long as it can be sonically justified kinda thing.

Im actually looking at the hd660's too. Was looking strongly into the sundara but have read the 660s are superior, though I get that it's subjective. I can get the hd660's for around £400-430.

Im currently using the stock IEM from samsung and don't mind it, though I do think the mids are reccessed a bit, I could be totally wrong.

Read the mid range are superb on the hd660 which will shine on my rock based music...

Feb 25, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #1,828 of 6,622
Yup, these Micro SD issues are making me nervous too. I'm really hoping this is just user error but I'm thinking it's not. I get that we as early adopters of their first DAP, we are getting a product with some issues that the R7 (If they do make it) will correct. But these issues (if valid) are a big deal.

I feel like the R6 should have had a few more months of testing before being shipping off.
crap happens of course but having a working SD slot is absolutely essential.

Fixes for HIby R7

1. Headphone impedance
2. Line-Out Noise
3. Noise with Wifi on
4. SD Card Slot

These are the big 4.

Feb 25, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #1,829 of 6,622
Yup, these Micro SD issues are making me nervous too. I'm really hoping this is just user error but I'm thinking it's not. I get that we as early adopters of their first DAP, we are getting a product with some issues that the R7 (If they do make it) will correct. But these issues (if valid) are a big deal.

I feel like the R6 should have had a few more months of testing before being shipping off.
crap happens of course but having a working SD slot is absolutely essential.

Fixes for HIby R7

1. Headphone impedance
2. Line-Out Noise
3. Noise with Wifi on
4. SD Card Slot

These are the big 4.
I feel like the R6 is a great device that was launched at the PERFECT TIME. I don't know if you even own the device or not yet, but I disagree with 3 of your so called fixes. Headphone impedance doesn't seem to be much of an issue for MANY of the headphones tested by users here. Certainly no more than other DAPs, which is amazing, considering the high OI. Line out noise - I'm not using, so I wouldn't know. Noise with the WIFI on - No such issues on my end at all. There are others who are NOT having issues, as well. SD card slot - no issues! I even double checked today just to make sure and you know what? I had to click on the main drive (C) to get to the R6. It doesn't show up as a separate drive like other devices when connected. I changed the USB designation on the player, and both player drives showed up immediately. I was able to transfer music. The file transfer is very fast, by the way. So, I'm in the EXCELLENT LAUNCH camp. This device is everything advertised and more. I'm amazed at how my 16 ohm IEM's show no effect of the high impedance after minor MSEB adjustments. Excellent work, HIBY!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back