HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Nov 15, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #4,712 of 6,622
Added a leather (maybe pleather) backing to my R6. Original owner cracked & chipped the lower right corner of the glass. I applied a layer of Bondic over it to prevent further chipping (I forgot to take pics). $10.99 for 5 7.8”x4” self adhesive patches - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CYKHBR9/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_6xY6BbFXVYGRT
It adds maybe 1mm to the overall thickness and you probably wouldn’t be able to fit it into the case, but I don’t use a case with mine and I think it adds some grip to the DAP.

This looks excellent. And as I now find myself in need of EXACTLY the same remedy, a big thank you!

Nov 15, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #4,713 of 6,622
Just be careful when applying it. The adhesive is really tacky and once it’s on it’s really hard to peel off without possibly stretching out the fabric.

Nov 17, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #4,716 of 6,622
I'm really disappointed in the inability of the R6 to mount as a drive on a mac, I get that android and apple aren't perfect bedfellows but neither are android and windows and there don't seem to be many problems there. I've had android daps that cost half as much as the r6 that mount as a drive and don't arbitrarily become corrupt. Hopefully the upcoming android update fixes this.

This is actually an issue with Apple not supporting the protocol used natively by AOSP (which the HiBy OS will be based off). Microsoft do implement the protocol and if I’m not mistaken were actually the champions of it. I’d recommend downloading Android File Transfer which is an official Google application for MacOS.

Nov 17, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #4,717 of 6,622
This is actually an issue with Apple not supporting the protocol used natively by AOSP (which the HiBy OS will be based off).
Other android DAPs can mount as a drive on Mac. So there....Hiby is behind in this regard. Really a moot point with 'android file transfer' which worked just fine for the R6. https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Nov 17, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #4,718 of 6,622
Other android DAPs can mount as a drive on Mac. So there....Hiby is behind in this regard. Really a moot point with 'android file transfer' which worked just fine for the R6. https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Most DAPs use a much older Android version that still has USB Mass Storage mode. It’s been removed from AOSP for some time.

But as you said, not an issue because there’s an official (Google) solution.

Edit: the reason it was removed is because it effectively forces exclusive access to the storage device and thereby ‘unmounting’ it from the host device. That’s not desirable for a DAP because it will stop playback of music if you want to copy files to the drive.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #4,719 of 6,622
Most DAPs use a much older Android version that still has USB Mass Storage mode. It’s been removed from AOSP for some time.

But as you said, not an issue because there’s an official (Google) solution.

Edit: the reason it was removed is because it effectively forces exclusive access to the storage device and thereby ‘unmounting’ it from the host device. That’s not desirable for a DAP because it will stop playback of music if you want to copy files to the drive.

Appreciated but Android File Transfer is downright awful. With debugging enabled and the R6 in file transfer mode I still get random crashes and am often unable to write to my sd card. I've also had files disappear for no reason at all.

A card reader helps but using one usually messes with my tidal downloads and forces me to redownload them all.

This is the only gripe I have against an otherwise stellar device.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #4,720 of 6,622
With debugging enabled and the R6 in file transfer mode I still get random crashes and am often unable to write to my sd card. I've also had files disappear for no reason at all.

A card reader helps but using one usually messes with my tidal downloads and forces me to redownload them all.
I had similar problems with my R6, but the issue was with SD card. I have replaced it by Samsung EVO card and now all is ok. Old SD card is working normally in other devices.

Nov 18, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #4,721 of 6,622
I had similar problems with my R6, but the issue was with SD card.
You had problems with 'debugging mode' enabled and file transfers from a computer? Or you had problems with Tidal files needing to be re-downloaded? The solution was going with a samsung card, that was pretty clear, but hoping you can elaborate a bit on the problems you were having.

Nov 18, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #4,722 of 6,622
You had problems with 'debugging mode' enabled and file transfers from a computer? Or you had problems with Tidal files needing to be re-downloaded? The solution was going with a samsung card, that was pretty clear, but hoping you can elaborate a bit on the problems you were having.
I had problems with file transfers, but "debugging mode" was off.

Nov 19, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #4,723 of 6,622
WiFi is generally appalling.

Not to take away from the issues you have had but I recently got my hands on a demo unit for an extended trial and don't seem to be having any wifi issues.

Screenshot_20181116-213649.png

Nov 19, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #4,724 of 6,622
So I just recently got my hands on a lot of DSD files.

Using the r6 as a source outputting to 2.5mm balanced IEMs, in both DoP and native mode there is a noticeable drop off/deficit in bass. Everything sounds very thin. When set back to PCM mode the bass returns. Anyone else experiencing this? Is this normal? Isn't switching it back to PCM mode essentially defeating the point of DSD (even though most of the recordings were done in PCM, converted to DSD, then I'm covering them back to PCM)?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back