HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Sep 22, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #4,486 of 6,628
Find an impedance response graph as well and we can tell for sure.

for anyone interested, I found this helpful to see how output impedance will affect your earphones - not all makes/models are listed here, but there are quite a few. The site is a little weird to navigate, but the info is very comprehensive. I found the sonic changes to be on point for my Oriolus mk2 - which really didn't change but for -2 db at top octave treble - no biggie for me.

https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/param1.php?name_sort=1&id=1374

here is an example of how Andromeda changes the FR based on different 'constant' or 'flat' O/I. 10, 20, 50, 100, 300 ohms output and its effects. There's clearly a 6 db brightening from the midrange upward.

Campfire_Andromeda_Center_-_-_SIEC_-_90_20-20k_-_fr_amp_flat.png

I'm assuming the R6 has a constant O/I at all audible frequencies or does O/I decrease the higher the frequency? That's a hiby question.

you can see that if the O/I isn't flat, the effect on your earphones will be more like this - a drop in bass only:

Campfire_Andromeda_Center_-_-_SIEC_-_90_20-20k_-_fr_amp_c2.png

And if anyone has CA Jupiter - the sound changes noticeably with the R6, but for me actually improved. The mids came up bit and the overall presentation became more romantic and involving. I was considering selling them, but they've rekindled my interest. So not all O/I changes are bad, see?

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #4,487 of 6,628
Anyone interested in a one-day old R6?
Stainless steel + Miter case = $500, world wide shipping included.

My plan was to use it as a transport, but it wasn't meant to be.

PM me

Sep 22, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #4,488 of 6,628
Mine is still at 1.27beta. No update is available in wireless update.
Maybe I have to download the update manually and do the local update?
Last I checked they call all their Chinese firmware "beta" so looks like yours is a Chinese version device. 1.28G is for international version device.
(I had talked to them about the negative connotation of tagging all Chinese firmware "beta"...)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 22, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #4,489 of 6,628
Last I checked they call all their Chinese firmware "beta" so looks like yours is a Chinese version device. 1.28G is for international version device.
(I had talked to them about the negative connotation of tagging all Chinese firmware "beta"...)
Thanks for letting me know. HiByMusic also told me this in the morning.
For a while, I thought that mine is global edition as it come with google play. The local seller said nothing about this though.

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #4,490 of 6,628
My primary concern was the R6 is for it to use LDAC via bluetooth, so I am over the moon that LDAC will be provided within the 2 months via Oreo update. Thanks @fanoble.

However, I tried using SBC and APTx via bluetooth and found the connection to be very poor indeed. In the car with line of sight to the headphones, connection was acceptable. But it drops immediately when I put the R6 into my pocket. Worse it drops as long as there is no line of sight eve in a light traffic area. I hope this is fixable via an update and not software related. I have no such issues with my mobiles which include the S8, S6, S5 and Asus zenphone 4.

On the other hand I have had no issues regarding WIFI. Either streaming (Spotify or Tidal) or downloading.

I am still having problems with the lineout. I have tried lowering the pre-amp by 4 db and it seems to help a bit.

Does any one else have such lineout and blutooth issues?

Cheers.

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #4,493 of 6,628
Re: R6

Can I play out through the USB port?

I'd like to send the signal to re-clockering (Etir or Mutec 3+) and from there into my active subwoofer. The Eitr will only take in a USB signal.

Thanks!
Don't know if anyone answered you. Yes you can get bit perfect USB out with the R6. There is a popup that asks you whether you want to use the DAC as the exclusive something or other. I just pressed ok without checking off the exclusive box. Works fine. The trick is getting a cable that connects the USB C of the Hiby to what you might need for your DAC.

Sep 23, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #4,495 of 6,628
I've had the R6 for about a week. I have absolutely no idea why people are raving about this DAP. I thought it would be a major improvement on my Pioneer XDP 300R. How wrong I was. It's a heap of junk and that's being kind.

I updated to 1.28G of the system software yesterday. Since then there are terrible problems with Tidal. Keeps crashing; audio just suddenly stops; tracks run on very fast randomly, with no sound. It’s a mess. Also, generally very poor responsiveness on touch screen (especially on Tidal). When I re-boot I now sometimes get the Recovery Mode screen?!?!?! Software needs a complete overhaul and especially compatibility with Tidal very quickly. People need to know, the R6 is nowhere near as good as some of the early reviews were saying. In fact it’s a very poor user experience.

Sep 23, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #4,496 of 6,628
@KevP thats very odd behavior. I’d open a claim with them and see if you can get a replacement. For all the little bugs mentioned, your issues seem to be complete software malfunction. I’ve had an issue with the SD card and tidal off-line, but nothing else like you’ve described. Furthermore I was able to isolate my Sd card issued to a bug and avoid the triggers that resulted in weird outcomes.

What other apps did you install? Also did you disable any apps? Or are you using an app freezer like greenify? I tried to disable Hiby app and that was no bueno. Need that app to run in background for proper functioning of 3rd party audio apps.

Sep 23, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #4,497 of 6,628
Anyone interested in a one-day old R6?
Stainless steel + Miter case = $500, world wide shipping included.

My plan was to use it as a transport, but it wasn't meant to be.

PM me
I'm using the R6 as a transport. USB out to DAC and then to an amp. Works very well. Why are you not satisfied?

Sep 23, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #4,498 of 6,628
I'm using the R6 as a transport. USB out to DAC and then to an amp. Works very well. Why are you not satisfied?

First, thanks for the information vis-a-vis the USB playback. It's actually a game changer since I can apparently add Eitr to my chain.

As for your question, I'm far from satisfied with the coax performance The sound is considerably inferior to the Etir.

My secondary use is Line Out over ancient active monitors. In this scenario, my A&K sp1000 blows away the R6.

As I said, the USB out might change my calculus. Thanks again!

Sep 23, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #4,499 of 6,628
Find an impedance response graph as well and we can tell for sure.
Hi Joe,
Sadly, I can't find any measurement of impedance response about N40 :frowning2:.
Btw.. Is there anyone using AKG N40 can confirm the Hiby R6 are good with it? Since where i live is too far away from the nearest local audio shop. Thank you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back