HiBy R6 2020 User Impressions
Dec 28, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #1,681 of 1,971
Hey, maybe you can add some light to my concern after buying r6 2020 and andromeda 2020.
I found that andromeda sound very muffled if i use the phone out. Sound is very dark.
If i use line out sound is lot more neutral an natural, but highs tend to be too crysp at the point sometime its annoying.
If i connect andromeda ton other sources like phones it gives me more of the line out sound type also not annoying highs
Its my r6 that have a problem? It looks like an impedance problem to me.

Thanks!
Hey! Sorry for the late reply, I missed this post. I have the Andromeda pre-2020, not the 2020 version and my R6 is on loan to a friend to try. I can test and let you know by the weekend once I get my R6 back. Till then I hope someone else can pitch in and help. Maybe Alex (@twister6 ) who has the Andromeda 2020 as well as the R6.

Jan 11, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #1,683 of 1,971
Need some troubleshooting help as my R6 2020 suddenly stopped playing files last night. I've had this player for nearly a year and have loved it.

Symptoms: tried to listen to music as normal through UAPP. Playing a track results in the progress bar staying at 0:00. No audio. Sometimes the progress bar starts moving very fast (as in, a 5 minute track claims to have fully played within a few seconds). Still no audio.

I have tried the following steps, none of which helped:
- Tried many different tracks from different artists/albums/etc. to ensure that it wasn't a specific bad file, but same results
- Swapping out the microSD card for a different one, in case that was the issue, but same results
- Using different jacks/headphones. I was initially using the balanced line out with an amp/headphone. To eliminate that as the issue, I tried a pair of IEMs on the balanced headphone jack instead, but same results
- Tried other apps (HiBy app, Neutron), but they behave the same
- Restarting did not help
- Factory reset did not help (the firmware is also already the latest)

When I use the USB out to play music in my car (which just reads the files off the microSD card), it still works fine as usual.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDITED TO ADD: after emailing HiBy and then MusicTeck, I was able to do a full reset from Android Recovery, and that appears to have fixed the issue. Thank you, HiBy and @MusicTeck!

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #1,684 of 1,971
Wanted to give my 1 month impression of my 2020 Hiby R6. I bought mine from Andrew at musicteck (www.musicteck.com). I also got the leather case with the unit. The R6 was an upgrade from my iBasso DX200 with the Amp8 module which I carried around for the last 2 years. I primarily use the unit with iems, my current favorite being the Thieaudo Oracles. I also occasionally connect my ZMF Eikons, Sennheiser HD560s and my Modhouse Argons Mk3. While the R6 has slightly less power than the DX200/Amp8 combo, it has enough power for any of my gear. The build quality is excellent. Sturdy with a good heft and fits well in the hand. The HibyOS is very smooth and very fast. The unit, with a Snapdragon 660 and 4GB of RAM makes interacting with the device liquid smooth. Also the Hiby Music app is very intuitive with no onerous learning curve. Plus I love that the color of the lcd refers to the quality of the music playing. A very cool feature. As to the sound. It is warmer than the DX200 but without any loss of detail. Just a nlush enjoyable presentation without any sibilance. I rarely need togo beyond medium gain to feel like I'm hearing everything my iem's/headphones are giving me. Finally, battery life is excellent. I was out for 6 hours yesterday listening to all flac recordings and I came home to 77% power remaining. Pretty damn good.
I would definitely recommend these to anyone in the market for a new DAP. My other choices were the new DX300, and the A&K Kann Alpha. For my needs the 2020 Hiby R6 was the best choice at a substantially lower price.

Feb 3, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #1,685 of 1,971
Wanted to give my 1 month impression of my 2020 Hiby R6. I bought mine from Andrew at musicteck (www.musicteck.com). I also got the leather case with the unit. The R6 was an upgrade from my iBasso DX200 with the Amp8 module which I carried around for the last 2 years. I primarily use the unit with iems, my current favorite being the Thieaudo Oracles. I also occasionally connect my ZMF Eikons, Sennheiser HD560s and my Modhouse Argons Mk3. While the R6 has slightly less power than the DX200/Amp8 combo, it has enough power for any of my gear. The build quality is excellent. Sturdy with a good heft and fits well in the hand. The HibyOS is very smooth and very fast. The unit, with a Snapdragon 660 and 4GB of RAM makes interacting with the device liquid smooth. Also the Hiby Music app is very intuitive with no onerous learning curve. Plus I love that the color of the lcd refers to the quality of the music playing. A very cool feature. As to the sound. It is warmer than the DX200 but without any loss of detail. Just a nlush enjoyable presentation without any sibilance. I rarely need togo beyond medium gain to feel like I'm hearing everything my iem's/headphones are giving me. Finally, battery life is excellent. I was out for 6 hours yesterday listening to all flac recordings and I came home to 77% power remaining. Pretty damn good.
I would definitely recommend these to anyone in the market for a new DAP. My other choices were the new DX300, and the A&K Kann Alpha. For my needs the 2020 Hiby R6 was the best choice at a substantially lower price.
Nice impressions! I have a unit coming in to review and I'm happy to hear it runs android smoothly.

Feb 3, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #1,686 of 1,971
Nice impressions! I have a unit coming in to review and I'm happy to hear it runs android smoothly.

R6 2020 runs it as smoothly as their flagship R8.

Feb 3, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #1,688 of 1,971
Feb 3, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #1,689 of 1,971
R6 2020 runs it as smoothly as their flagship R8.
My last dap I owned was the FiiO M11 so it’s been a bit but at the time that was the fastest(I think) dap and it wasn’t that great under the hood IMO. These new DAPs seem to be better in specs.

Twister will you review the M3X?
While I’m not as cool as twister6 and his countertop of truth, I have the m3x in purple coming at the same time as the R6 so I’ll be doing comparisons between the two in my reviews.

Feb 4, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #1,690 of 1,971
Had the R6 2020 and now have the DX240. I don't think anyone should be unhappy with either as both are resolved, fast, modern devices in use. I haven't directly compared but slightly prefer the DX for solidity, note weight and mechanical layout/control but it would be picking nits for most as both are very resolved, competent and modern for their market positions. That the R6 is currently $250 cheaper makes it an extremely viable commodity. It also has some unique sound adjusting features that I personally would never use but could be very useful for many.

Hard to go wrong here. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #1,691 of 1,971
I have a ifi Zen Dac V2 and I’m wondering I can use the DAP as the source and connect to the dac? Anyone have any experience?

Feb 8, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #1,692 of 1,971
I have a ifi Zen Dac V2 and I’m wondering I can use the DAP as the source and connect to the dac? Anyone have any experience?

It works fine with my Zen DAC Signature via USB.

Feb 8, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #1,693 of 1,971
I’m a little late to the R6 party but I’m looking forward to reviewing the R6 2020!

image.jpg

Feb 9, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #1,694 of 1,971
Should work, how good it will sound is another story.

Feb 9, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #1,695 of 1,971
Should work, how good it will sound is another story.

Out of curiosity, how would you connect that DAP to a desktop DAC? Can the former's USB output data to an external DAC?

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back