HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
Mar 13, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #1,051 of 1,076
Good morning, I leave you screenshots of what the screen does in some applications, it doesn't always do it, the highlight is when I open the hiby music application.

Could it be a firmware problem too? @Joe Bloggs

IMG_20240312_202840.jpgIMG_20240312_222014.jpgIMG_20240312_222407.jpgIMG_20240312_222409.jpg
Looks defective. Have you tried resetting the device and making sure all updates are installed? Problem with buying cheap electronics from China is when you’re unfortunate to get a bad product. I was lucky with mine. But I won’t buy something like this again if it isn’t from a source I have faith in…

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #1,052 of 1,076
Looks defective. Have you tried resetting the device and making sure all updates are installed? Problem with buying cheap electronics from China is when you’re unfortunate to get a bad product. I was lucky with mine. But I won’t buy something like this again if it isn’t from a source I have faith in…

Hello, I installed the latest OTA update and tried doing a reboot from within Android, this afternoon I will try to do a complete reset through the recovery that I have already seen how to enter.
Yes, the quality seems to be not very high with these Hiby products, to be honest.
I have never had problems with Ibasso, Fiio, Shanling, Cowon, etc.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #1,053 of 1,076
Well, I finally received my Hiby R5 II, but I am not very happy with the purchase.

Apart from a constant flickering and some streaks on the home screen, I have problems with the playback of MQA files on Tidal, I have done the latest update but it has not solved these problems, the songs are heard with background noise, continuous cuts and sparks .

Impossible to use, I hope it is a matter of an update. @Joe Bloggs
Hi, I also had problems with MQA playback on Tidal-cracking etc. I wrote to support, no response... But I figured out one thing. If you click on the sample rate icon in the player, you can change MQA to MAX and that was fine. Try it out. Otherwise, I don't have the player anymore, the sound was completely satisfactory to me, but the software was very slow, it got stuck and I had to restart it often. Maybe it was because I mainly stream, he was not suitable for that.

Mar 13, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #1,055 of 1,076
Well, I finally received my Hiby R5 II, but I am not very happy with the purchase.

Apart from a constant flickering and some streaks on the home screen, I have problems with the playback of MQA files on Tidal, I have done the latest update but it has not solved these problems, the songs are heard with background noise, continuous cuts and sparks .

Impossible to use, I hope it is a matter of an update. @Joe Bloggs
My Shanling M6 Pro 21 has the same Tidal app thing with MQA tracks although their software team tried to fix it. If I use UAPP for Tidal streaming all of that MQA popping artifact stuff goes away. And I can keep the app up to date too. Probably would work on the R5 II also.

I actually still use Tidal Android app V 2.86 with my Shanling and tick the Play Store not to auto update anything. It stays in the MQA world and it works well for me as I have crappy internet and the MQA streams are at the lower end of the streaming bitrate with 24/44.1 and 24/48 and rarely buffer out. Otherwise UAPP does all the FLAC stuff 100%. Best of both worlds for me!

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #1,056 of 1,076
My Shanling M6 Pro 21 has the same Tidal app thing with MQA tracks although their software team tried to fix it. If I use UAPP for Tidal streaming all of that MQA popping artifact stuff goes away. And I can keep the app up to date too. Probably would work on the R5 II also.

I actually still use Tidal Android app V 2.86 with my Shanling and tick the Play Store not to auto update anything. It stays in the MQA world and it works well for me as I have crappy internet and the MQA streams are at the lower end of the streaming bitrate with 24/44.1 and 24/48 and rarely buffer out. Otherwise UAPP does all the FLAC stuff 100%. Best of both worlds for me!

It is a solution that I have considered, installing a version of Tidal prior to the implementation of the MAX/MQA algorithm, which is when the problems started. I'm writing down V 2.86, I suppose I can find it in apkure, for example?

Mar 14, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #1,057 of 1,076
It is a solution that I have considered, installing a version of Tidal prior to the implementation of the MAX/MQA algorithm, which is when the problems started. I'm writing down V 2.86, I suppose I can find it in apkure, for example?
Let us know if and how this works for you. Interesting how these issues pop up seemingly at random points.

Mar 14, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #1,058 of 1,076
I think I downloaded my last Tidal V 2.86 version at apkmirror and just picked the latest standalone version (1121), not the bundle. I think it was around 80MB. Before uninstall of the existing Tidal app I cleared its cache and settings, uninstalled it and rebooted, then installed the 2.86. That may be unnecessary, but I like a clean install.

Mar 15, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #1,059 of 1,076
I think I downloaded my last Tidal V 2.86 version at apkmirror and just picked the latest standalone version (1121), not the bundle. I think it was around 80MB. Before uninstall of the existing Tidal app I cleared its cache and settings, uninstalled it and rebooted, then installed the 2.86. That may be unnecessary, but I like a clean install.

Good morning, I did it as you recommended.
Version 2.86 (1121) of tidal (apkmirror), cleaning cache and data previously, uninstallation, restart and installation of version 2.86
Working perfectly, without cuts, blockages, noises, sparks, more agile, incredible.
Of course, only master/high/low appears, enough... the sound gives me the impression that it does not change at all with respect to the MAX/MQA/Flac etc.
One less problem.
Thank you so much for your help.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #1,060 of 1,076
I bought the R5 (gen 2) 3 weeks ago, to use as a source and DAC for local files, using line out to an amp with speakers or headphones. The price (£329 in UK) and long battery life swayed it over the mini pc/dac route which I also considered.
After updates, first use was as a DAP with 32gb micro sd card 3.5mm and 4.4 mm balanced headphones, everything worked as t should, no problems what so ever. The battery in economy mode truly is amazing, especially compared to my DX160. That said the class A amp literally ate it up, and caused the DAP to get quite hot. In truth, I could hardly tell the difference between class A and economy, but obviously I will not be using it that way.
After a few days I replaced the sd card with a 1tb one containing 8,400 mostly flac tracks. They scanned quite quickly, but playing a selection was a shock, as there was stuttering on most of them, although as I replayed each track the stuttering had disappeared (so not the card to blame). I restarted the DAP and tried a few more tracks of which an odd one stuttered, restarted again and no further problems at all! It was as if the OS needed to learn its way around the card, or maybe something to do with the scanning.
The sound is as described in various Head-Fi reviews and quite clinical overall, but what I wanted for my particular purpose.
Battery life is very good, approx. 28 hours in line out mode.
Not wanting it for streaming, means no problems with Android 8 or bluetooth (turned off) or wi-fi (probably will also turn off) but I can imagine the Android 8.1 especially, has put off potential purchasers of this DAP.
As for me, this has so far been a great choice, and at the price quite a steal.

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #1,061 of 1,076
Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 5:21 AM Post #1,062 of 1,076
@Joe Bloggs Due to "rooted device detection" is added on the Apple Music app 4.7.0, it doesn't work on the R5 gen 2 that is detected as rooted device.
AFAIK, the R6 Pro also has this issue, and RS8/R6ProII/R6III/R6II don't.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...d-portable-player.965428/page-7#post-18046788

Are you going to prepare the firmware to fix it? (Possible solution is to delete "SU binary" from the current firmware.)
FYI: https://twitter.com/AssembleDebug/status/1764191626564604087
We are reviewing the reason these certain models are being mis-detected as rooted. It also appears to be region-specific as we can't reproduce the bug in headquaters in China.

This is worse than pointless, audio enhancements is the one reason for which I root my smartphones.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 2, 2024 at 6:11 AM Post #1,063 of 1,076
We are reviewing the reason these certain models are being mis-detected as rooted. It also appears to be region-specific as we can't reproduce the bug in headquaters in China.

This is worse than pointless, audio enhancements is the one reason for which I root my smartphones.

Thanks for the reply.
I assume it's because "SU binary" exists on the stock firmware. It might be only on the international firmware.

AFAIK, in addition to the R6 Pro/R5 gen 2, Cayin N6ii and TempoTec V6 are also encountering this issue here in Japan.
They all have Android 8.1-based OS customized by HiBy with Snapdragon 425.

Hope this will help you.

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #1,065 of 1,076
*deleted by original poster*
Firstly, sorry to hear about your problems with purchase of our product. I can't promise an immediate conclusion in your favour but we can certainly look into the matter together...

1. What are the conditions under which shipping will cost 70usd? Product including all packaging, or device only?
2. Which country are you in? Do you have a local HiBy distributor in your country, if so, what are they selling the same product for vs us on Aliexpress?

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back