HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
Dec 19, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #1,021 of 1,076
I don't have a high sensitivity Hifiman--I can try the Quad ERA-1, if you'd like. It's 20 ohm, 94 db.
Funny that the HE400SE is considered high sensitivity! It's 32ohm and 91db. In some of the reviews, it sounds like you need current to make it sound good as many DAPs can make it loud enough, but they aren't driving the planars optimally. I'm thinking (hoping) the class A mode may have sufficient current drive.

I'd be curious how it drives your Quads. Thanks!

Dec 19, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #1,022 of 1,076
Funny that the HE400SE is considered high sensitivity!

Lol, I meant that the only other thing I have is the HE6SE v2 which is 83.5 db, so I consider the 400SE high in comparison. I also have the HE5 but don't have the right cables to run them off the HiBy.

Dec 19, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #1,023 of 1,076
I can't give you a proper test even with the Quad because I can only run it out the 3.5. My one dual 3.5 to 4.4 cable doesn't fit the Quad because of the way the connectors are built into the cups. Out of the 3.5 on max volume, it wasn't great.

Dec 19, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #1,024 of 1,076
I can't give you a proper test even with the Quad because I can only run it out the 3.5. My one dual 3.5 to 4.4 cable doesn't fit the Quad because of the way the connectors are built into the cups. Out of the 3.5 on max volume, it wasn't great.
Thanks for trying!

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #1,025 of 1,076
I found the source of the battery drain, and it's google services! I had good battery life after a factory reset. I installed Apple Music and the battery life went down again. In developer mode, I saw the there were no Apple processes running when Apple Music was not running, but there were a few google services running. I believe these start up as soon as I logged into the Play store. I disabled the Play store in settings and my battery life went back up. I find it interesting in that nowhere in the 68 pages of this thread, anyone mentioned any of this, or maybe it's common Android knowledge. I'm an Apple guy. So if you aren't getting the battery life you expect, turn off the Play Store.
not mentioned in this thread, but this was definitely a thing we had run into in the past. That you could turn it back on just fine is an interesting tidbit though. It's some misconfiguration of the google services (that rather than having to avoid using them completely). Probably something to do with these players not having a camera or GPS and services demanding use of them.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 20, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #1,026 of 1,076
not mentioned in this thread, but this was definitely a thing we had run into in the past. That you could turn it back on just fine is an interesting tidbit though. It's some misconfiguration of the google services (that rather than having to avoid using them completely). Probably something to do with these players not having a camera or GPS and services demanding use of them.
Thanks, Joe. I really appreciate your insider knowledge and informative responses. You are a huge asset to the Hiby community.

When I had the power issue, the R5ii would get fairly warm listening in economy mode, warmer than it does now in class A mode. The CPU was definitely doing something but I don't know enough about Android to know if there is a way to run the equivalent of Linux "top". It would have been interesting to see what was using so many CPU resources.

I have the play store re-enabled and haven't seen any issues since. The power savings now is actually very good. If I turn off the radios, I lose 1% overnight, even if I leave class A enabled. If I turn on wifi, I lose 4% overnight. I love this little player. Maybe for next Black Friday, I'll pick up an R6Pro ii, but maybe not. :dt880smile:

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #1,027 of 1,076
Thanks, Joe. I really appreciate your insider knowledge and informative responses. You are a huge asset to the Hiby community.

When I had the power issue, the R5ii would get fairly warm listening in economy mode, warmer than it does now in class A mode. The CPU was definitely doing something but I don't know enough about Android to know if there is a way to run the equivalent of Linux "top". It would have been interesting to see what was using so many CPU resources.

I have the play store re-enabled and haven't seen any issues since. The power savings now is actually very good. If I turn off the radios, I lose 1% overnight, even if I leave class A enabled. If I turn on wifi, I lose 4% overnight. I love this little player. Maybe for next Black Friday, I'll pick up an R6Pro ii, but maybe not. :dt880smile:
The R6proII is not the most battery saving DAP out there 🤨 I would recommend stepping up to the regular R6 mk III or the R2R RS6 instead, if you want an upgrade that isn't too much of a contrast in battery life 😅

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 20, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #1,028 of 1,076
Dobrý den, funguje Vám Tidal-MQA bez problémů? Mám problém se skladbami, které jsou v MQA, a to je občasné praskání, loupání. Je to jen s MQA, MAX a HIGH jsou OK (Qobuz také bez problémů). Po nasazení MAXu s Tidalem byly problémy, psal jsem na podporu, poslali mi beta verzi a žádné problémy tam nebyly. Pak jsem aktualizoval na novou verzi a mám tyto problémy. Psal jsem na podporu, ale žádná odpověď... Díky Brrouk

Dec 21, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #1,029 of 1,076
I copied a folder over with some MP3’s to my SD card using CX File Explorer but a scan in Hiby music player isn’t picking up the files. I’ve tried directly scanning the folder but the app says there aren’t music files there. However CX File Explorer plays the tracks fine so I know the files are okay.

Any idea why the Hiby app is refusing to see them?

Dec 21, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #1,030 of 1,076
Dobrý den, funguje Vám Tidal-MQA bez problémů? Mám problém se skladbami, které jsou v MQA, a to je občasné praskání, loupání. Je to jen s MQA, MAX a HIGH jsou OK (Qobuz také bez problémů). Po nasazení MAXu s Tidalem byly problémy, psal jsem na podporu, poslali mi beta verzi a žádné problémy tam nebyly. Pak jsem aktualizoval na novou verzi a mám tyto problémy. Psal jsem na podporu, ale žádná odpověď... Díky Brrouk

Google Translated
Hello, Tidal-MQA works for you without any problems? I have a problem with songs that are in MQA, and that's occasional cracking, peeling. It's only with MQA, MAX and HIGH are OK (Qobuz also no problems). After deploying MAX with Tidal, there were problems, I wrote in support, they sent me a beta version and there were no problems. Then I updated to a new version and I have these problems. I wrote in support, but no answer... Thanks Brrouk

Dec 21, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #1,031 of 1,076
I went to Hiby.com and found that my device is five updates behind. The latest update has the Tidal playback issue on certain files. I'm going to see how this helps the device performance. Installed all updates and now Tidal app works on Max and all music files. Must pay attention to these updates to get most out of device. I was lazy and expected automatic updates.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #1,032 of 1,076
I went to Hiby.com and found that my device is five updates behind. The latest update has the Tidal playback issue on certain files. I'm going to see how this helps the device performance. Installed all updates and now Tidal app works on Max and all music files. Must pay attention to these updates to get most out of device. I was lazy and expected automatic updates.
I have the update ok and still crackling with MQA...

Jan 19, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #1,035 of 1,076
A public service announcement regarding TIDAL on our devices

Currently, TIDAL (builds starting from 2.87.1 that included Max level FLACs) does not seem to be working properly for devices of Android version 10 or below.
I included my investigation results (how I arrived at this conclusion) here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tidal-lossless-streaming.733233/page-340#post-17695132

One solution is for us to upgrade all our DAPs to 11 and up, but as some of you know, our ability to do update the Android version is pretty much tied to the SoC used and the SDK provided. 😅

Another solution, since the app does allow installation on all our DAPs ranging down to Android 6, is for TIDAL to make use of the info given above to debug the app for older versions of Android, so that they will actually run properly on devices they would install on. 😀

As of this writing, the last TIDAL version I tested that functioned properly, was 2.86.0 . I include a link to its installer here
https://d.apkpure.com/b/APK/com.aspiro.tidal?versionCode=1121

I will try to update here when this issue has been resolved.

Best regards,
Joe
HiBy Music
Hi Joe/All

Has this been sorted out for the native Tidal App? I’ve an R5 gen2 on the way and my primary use would be for Tidal. The majority of the time I’d offline (Download) the files I want to play so I don’t think I could use the Hiby App for this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back