HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
Dec 12, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #1,006 of 1,078
So I factory reset my R5ii and didn't install anything, but just scanned my library into HibyMusic. Overnight, the battery went down 4%. That is MUCH better and something I can live with. Now I'll install the apps I need one at a time and see which one was causing my rapid battery drain.

Dec 14, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #1,007 of 1,078
So I factory reset my R5ii and didn't install anything, but just scanned my library into HibyMusic. Overnight, the battery went down 4%. That is MUCH better and something I can live with. Now I'll install the apps I need one at a time and see which one was causing my rapid battery drain.

I found the source of the battery drain, and it's google services! I had good battery life after a factory reset. I installed Apple Music and the battery life went down again. In developer mode, I saw the there were no Apple processes running when Apple Music was not running, but there were a few google services running. I believe these start up as soon as I logged into the Play store. I disabled the Play store in settings and my battery life went back up. I find it interesting in that nowhere in the 68 pages of this thread, anyone mentioned any of this, or maybe it's common Android knowledge. I'm an Apple guy. So if you aren't getting the battery life you expect, turn off the Play Store.

Dec 14, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #1,008 of 1,078
I found the source of the battery drain, and it's google services! I had good battery life after a factory reset. I installed Apple Music and the battery life went down again. In developer mode, I saw the there were no Apple processes running when Apple Music was not running, but there were a few google services running. I believe these start up as soon as I logged into the Play store. I disabled the Play store in settings and my battery life went back up. I find it interesting in that nowhere in the 68 pages of this thread, anyone mentioned any of this, or maybe it's common Android knowledge. I'm an Apple guy. So if you aren't getting the battery life you expect, turn off the Play Store.
FWIW I have Google Play Store enabled on my R5 all the time and it hasn't resulted in that issue for me, so not expected.

Dec 14, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #1,009 of 1,078
FWIW I have Google Play Store enabled on my R5 all the time and it hasn't resulted in that issue for me, so not expected.
I was thinking that since nobody mentioned this before, it must be unique to me. Not sure what it is. There is another setting in User and Accounts to sync data. I turned that off, too. Maybe it was that? I turned the play store back on but left the sync data off and will see if the battery life still is good.

Dec 14, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #1,010 of 1,078
Any tips or tricks for the R5 II? Just got it delivered today and having a look around. I’ve managed to log into Tidal via the Hiby app but I believe it doesn’t allow offline downloads so I might have to use the official app. I’ve also downloaded the latest firmware.

I’ve seen a number of other Android audio players mentioned too so I’ll check those out.

Dec 14, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #1,011 of 1,078
I was thinking that since nobody mentioned this before, it must be unique to me. Not sure what it is. There is another setting in User and Accounts to sync data. I turned that off, too. Maybe it was that? I turned the play store back on but left the sync data off and will see if the battery life still is good.
I have Play Store and Google Drive enabled on mine and have no degradation of battery life.

Dec 14, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #1,012 of 1,078
I have Play Store and Google Drive enabled on mine and have no degradation of battery life.
I re-enabled the Play Store and no degradation in battery life. I also re-enabled the data sync option and it didn't appear to affect battery life, either! At this point I'm not sure what was causing my faster battery drain, but definitely disabling these two options fixed it, even if re-enabling them didn't make a difference! I'm loving this player and the long battery life now!

Dec 14, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #1,013 of 1,078
I re-enabled the Play Store and no degradation in battery life. I also re-enabled the data sync option and it didn't appear to affect battery life, either! At this point I'm not sure what was causing my faster battery drain, but definitely disabling these two options fixed it, even if re-enabling them didn't make a difference! I'm loving this player and the long battery life now!
There's definitely something draining the battery.

I use mine infrequently, maybe once a week or two.

Fully charged, the battery just drains very fast even if i power off. Id say about 10-15% a day.

Two things that i found reduce the speed of the battery drain, turning off wifi and bluetooth.

Turning off class a when not in use helps to slow down the drain as well.

I'll try disabling Google services and see if that reduces the drain.

Dec 14, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #1,014 of 1,078
There's definitely something draining the battery.

I use mine infrequently, maybe once a week or two.

Fully charged, the battery just drains very fast even if i power off. Id say about 10-15% a day.

Two things that i found reduce the speed of the battery drain, turning off wifi and bluetooth.

Turning off class a when not in use helps to slow down the drain as well.

I'll try disabling Google services and see if that reduces the drain.

I had turned off all the radios, Class A, and even the LED. I wish the LED would turn off when the player is in standby. I'm surprised your battery drains even with it off. I did that last night and I had no battery drain when I powered it back on this morning. I had resigned to just having to turn off the player when I'm not using it, but now I'll keep it on unless I won't be using it for a few days.

Dec 15, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #1,015 of 1,078
Off topic, I just bought a Gen II, primarily for the battery life and screen size over the Gen I, which I still also have.

Android 8.1 is equally sluggish on both, but I enabled Developer Options and set Window, Transition, and Animator duration scale to off/none.

This alone makes the Gen II feel much faster.

Dec 18, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #1,016 of 1,078
I am a big fan of the R5 Gen 2. As much as I would love a player with a fast processor and a newer Android, the size of this player and battery life to me make this one of the best DAPs on the market, and a great everyday carry for my commute.

As this player is going to be hitting 2 years old in 2024, I’m hoping that Hiby is still thinking about keeping the R5 series in its lineup. I think a more entry level audiophile DAP that is placed under the R6 III, but above the Hiby Digital M300 would be a great idea. I think that if you could upgrade the 4-core Snapdragon 425 to the 8-core Snapdragon 430, upgrade the RAM from 2GB to 3GB and update the android from 8 to 10, and you will have a player that still falls under the R6 III with the 660, 4GB of RAM and Android 12, but would make for a real nice upgrade to the R5 series, hopefully being able to keep the great 35hr battery life and small size.

@Joe Bloggs, I know it may be a bit premature but can you give a hint if Hiby is still planning on keeping the R5 series in its lineup with a Gen 3 version?

Dec 19, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #1,017 of 1,078
I am a big fan of the R5 Gen 2. As much as I would love a player with a fast processor and a newer Android, the size of this player and battery life to me make this one of the best DAPs on the market, and a great everyday carry for my commute.

As this player is going to be hitting 2 years old in 2024, I’m hoping that Hiby is still thinking about keeping the R5 series in its lineup. I think a more entry level audiophile DAP that is placed under the R6 III, but above the Hiby Digital M300 would be a great idea. I think that if you could upgrade the 4-core Snapdragon 425 to the 8-core Snapdragon 430, upgrade the RAM from 2GB to 3GB and update the android from 8 to 10, and you will have a player that still falls under the R6 III with the 660, 4GB of RAM and Android 12, but would make for a real nice upgrade to the R5 series, hopefully being able to keep the great 35hr battery life and small size.

@Joe Bloggs, I know it may be a bit premature but can you give a hint if Hiby is still planning on keeping the R5 series in its lineup with a Gen 3 version?
430 is old at this point. I got a m3 ultra from shanling for the same prixe that has a sd660 and a10. Compared to my r5 g2 it's faster and just better for usage daily. I'd rather they just put a much better cpu in it than a 400 series

Dec 19, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #1,018 of 1,078
Anyone try to pair a Hifiman HE400SE with the R5ii? I'm wondering if the class A amp can drive them sufficiently. I'm a fan of magnetic planars - My theatre/listening room is using Magnepans, and I recently purchased the Heyday planar IEMs (which sound great to me). I'd love try an inexpensive planar headphone and these get good reviews for the price.

Dec 19, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #1,019 of 1,078
If anyone is looking for a case like this, the R5 Gen I version will fit the Gen II IF you take the player insert out as follows. The IEM section sits on top of the HiBy. If size is no concern, they make a Gen II carrying case, it was just too big for me.

R5 Gen I case measures 6.5" L x 4.25" W x 3" H

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803346207210.html

1219231624.jpg

Dec 19, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #1,020 of 1,078
Anyone try to pair a Hifiman HE400SE with the R5ii? I'm wondering if the class A amp can drive them sufficiently. I'm a fan of magnetic planars - My theatre/listening room is using Magnepans, and I recently purchased the Heyday planar IEMs (which sound great to me). I'd love try an inexpensive planar headphone and these get good reviews for the price.

I don't have a high sensitivity Hifiman--I can try the Quad ERA-1, if you'd like. It's 20 ohm, 94 db.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back