Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Dec 15, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #1,727 of 2,094
Interestingly my OG R3 Pro doesn’t seem to suffer from any of the issues mentioned before after updating to 2.0. The user experience actually seems smoother now, although I didn’t have a chance to try streaming yet.

Dec 15, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #1,728 of 2,094
One may https://hiby.com/apps/help-center
Firmware v1.9 for r3 pro saber 2022 has been made available.

Note: in order to downgrade a firmware successfully / properly, a factory reset should be performed first, and/or the "delete playlist data" optuon should be selected while flashing the firnware. (obviously, new firmware can read and convert settings data from old firmwares, the reverse is not true)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 15, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #1,729 of 2,094
Interestingly my OG R3 Pro doesn’t seem to suffer from any of the issues mentioned before after updating to 2.0. The user experience actually seems smoother now, although I didn’t have a chance to try streaming yet.

Same here, except I have been using Tidal Streaming with no problems (other than the very, very irritating daily login issue). Seems that these issues may only impact the 2022 version, perhaps?

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #1,730 of 2,094
So basically the "baidu version" has the system files separately and again packed in the .upt file. Seems like a monolithic kernel, which makes sense in the circumstances.

Given that this is a Linux OS, the source code should be available. I wonder where? (not that I put my hopes too high)
I don’t know if the system files are the unpacked version of the .upt file, or recovery files in case of a bricked R3.
Since Hiby software is used by other manufacturers (Hidizs, Tempotec…) who probably pay royalties, I doubt Hiby will ever give access to the source code. Hey, even Zishan who did develop a “mod” following is not opening their relatively simple (compared to Hiby) software…

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #1,731 of 2,094
You could probably ask HiBy for access to source code of all of the Linux Kernel and userspace, including any modifications they would have had to make to devices drivers, but what would that get you?

The user interface is the bit you'd want source code to, but that's under a proprietary license. I've had a prod around in the firmware. It's a standalone C++ binary, so they are free to license as they wish. As XTF1 said, they license this IP out to Hidizs, so it would be business suicide to disclose its source.

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #1,732 of 2,094
One may https://hiby.com/apps/help-center
Firmware v1.9 for r3 pro saber 2022 has been made available.

Note: in order to downgrade a firmware successfully / properly, a factory reset should be performed first, and/or the "delete playlist data" optuon should be selected while flashing the firnware. (obviously, new firmware can read and convert settings data from old firmwares, the reverse is not true)
Have “downgraded” my R3pro saber 2022 to v1.9, the version it was shipped with. So far so good—no crash. I don’t use Tidal or Qobuz, but I use Bluetooth or Airplay to stream from my iPhone.
Thanks!

Dec 15, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #1,733 of 2,094
You could probably ask HiBy for access to source code of all of the Linux Kernel and userspace, including any modifications they would have had to make to devices drivers, but what would that get you?

The user interface is the bit you'd want source code to, but that's under a proprietary license. I've had a prod around in the firmware. It's a standalone C++ binary, so they are free to license as they wish. As XTF1 said, they license this IP out to Hidizs, so it would be business suicide to disclose its source.

Obviously they wouldn't give the source code of proprietary code out (though not unheard of) but I'm rather sure that in the kernel & modules there could be quite a few optimisation and tweaks done by bored hackers :)

Dec 15, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #1,734 of 2,094
Obviously they wouldn't give the source code of proprietary code out (though not unheard of) but I'm rather sure that in the kernel & modules there could be quite a few optimisation and tweaks done by bored hackers :)

At one time there was alternate firmware by @Snoopy112 for the original R3, so it's possible.

Dec 16, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #1,736 of 2,094
Hi,
Well finally the V2.0 is not working properly on my R3Pro Saber. Try to downgrade it to V1.7 by downloading the firmware on my SD card by after update V2.0 is still there. Do you have an idea to dowgrade it properly?

Thanks
Same thing happend to me. The hiby rep on this forum recommends full factory reset before a downgrade in firmware.

Dec 16, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #1,737 of 2,094
Hi,
Well finally the V2.0 is not working properly on my R3Pro Saber. Try to downgrade it to V1.7 by downloading the firmware on my SD card by after update V2.0 is still there. Do you have an idea to dowgrade it properly?

Thanks

I downgraded without factory reset. Put the file in the root of the SD card, then go to System settings -> Firmware upgrade and go.

Dec 20, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #1,740 of 2,094
Hi everyone,

I am currently using an ifi Go Blu. I usually stream to it via MacBook or iPhone.

I like the device but there are a few things I am missing. If I had some wishes free, I would like the Go Blu to have less hiss, to have AirPlay, to sound a bit clearer and to put the vocals a bit more to the front.

Therefore I am thinking about getting a Hiebe R3 Pro Saber.

Can anyone compare the sound quality and hiss of the R3 Pro Saber to a Go Blu? Will it be able to fulfill my wishes?

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards,
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back