Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Dec 20, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #1,741 of 2,094
Hi everyone,

I am currently using an ifi Go Blu. I usually stream to it via MacBook or iPhone.

I like the device but there are a few things I am missing. If I had some wishes free, I would like the Go Blu to have less hiss, to have AirPlay, to sound a bit clearer and to put the vocals a bit more to the front.

Therefore I am thinking about getting a Hiebe R3 Pro Saber.

Can anyone compare the sound quality and hiss of the R3 Pro Saber to a Go Blu? Will it be able to fulfill my wishes?

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards,
Chris
I have the 2022 version and I can't detect any hiss on any of my iem's or headphones.
I would describe the sound as very neutral and clean.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #1,743 of 2,094
Thank you. Do you know the Go Blu? Can you tell which is technically better?
I'm not familiar with the go blu, but in my experience the hiby r3 works well as a receiver for wireless connectivity but poor as a transmitter. I don't think it outputs a strong enough signal compared to a modern smartphone.

I found this review on a Chinese website that measures the previous version before the 2022 edition. It also included a ESS Saber dac.
https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/hiby-r3-pro-saber/
The single ended output only has a snr of around 85db, but the balanced output is pretty good with a snr of 104/105db.
Dynamic range is great as rated by hiby.

Dec 20, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #1,744 of 2,094
Thank you. I‘d be only using it as an AirPlay receiver. Checken the Internet for Gen2 Bit could not find anything about it. If I‘m buying used: How can I Identity 2022 Version?

PS: Is the R5 Saber (soundwise) a bog step up? Android not needed and it would be only used with IEMs - so not much Power needed.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #1,745 of 2,094
Thank you. I‘d be only using it as an AirPlay receiver. Checken the Internet for Gen2 Bit could not find anything about it. If I‘m buying used: How can I Identity 2022 Version?
The HiBy logo on the front of the 2022 version is centered and has a new font.

https://hiby.com/products/hiby-r3-pro-saber-2022
Previous versions all have the logo in the bottom right of the unit.
https://hiby.com/products/hiby-r3

Edit
It's a step up from most android phones without using a dongle dac power and performance wise.

The 2022 version has a lot of power from the balanced output, but the single ended is still more powerful than the average smartphone.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #1,746 of 2,094
I just logged in to thank Hiby for producing a great little DAP.

I joined this site many years ago to help with the endless problems that I was suffering with Fiio, Fiio x5ii, Fiio X5iii, F9, F9 Pro and finally FA7. It always felt like I was Beta testing for their next device, problem after problem which would be corrected for the next device.

All I wanted was a compact, stable, pure music DAP which is what Hiby has provided with the 'R3 Pro Saber 2022'. The FA7s sound great on this device, however, I was tempted out of curiosity to try a pair of Soundpeats with LDAC support, as they appeared to be offering too much for the money, so I was expecting to throw them in the drawer.

What a surprise, the Soundpeats actually sound fantastic, pretty close in sound to the wired FA7s with upgraded 2.5 cable and all for under £40.00.

Thanks Hiby, I cannot wait to see what you will be producing from now on.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #1,747 of 2,094
Hi I just bought a 2022 r3 saber ver.
Is it really any audible sound quality difference between 3.5mm and 2.5mm jack?

Because I don't want to spend $200 more on a cable for my tago iem and focal clear headphone...
Clear is a easy to drive headphone, so I think there's no need for extra power from 2.5mm.

Thanks ^^

Dec 26, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #1,748 of 2,094
Hi I just bought a 2022 r3 saber ver.

Because I don't want to spend $200 more on a cable for my tago iem and focal clear headphone...
Clear is a easy to drive headphone, so I think there's no need for extra power from 2.5mm.

Thanks ^^
I have the original saber and unlike some other devices I’ve tried, the balanced output definitely sounds better than the 3.5mm. Tighter bass, faster decaying treble, better staging. Also unlike some other devices that have balanced, it has a blacker background in that mode, making it actually more beneficial for high sensitivity headphones/IEMs.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #1,749 of 2,094
I owned both R3 versions and 2022 is better. It seems to actually be more responsive but I'm not sure how that could be. If you already own the old one, no need to shell out the $200, as differences are fairly minor. R5 gen 2 is definitely a step up though. When comparing R3 to go blu, hiby is better in SQ. The go blu bests btr5, qudelix, etc and R3 bests it. Pop a card in though and it is even better. R3 is my gym go to at the moment.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #1,750 of 2,094
I owned both and 2022 is better. It seems to actually be more responsive but I'm not sure how that could be. If you already own the old one, no need to shell out the $200, as differences are minor. R5 gen 2 is a step up though. Compared to go blu, hiby is better in SQ. Pop a card in though and it is even better. R3 is my gym go to at the moment.
Thank you, I was hoping to get some feedback on both. How much more detail in the treble does the 2022 squeeze out? I feel the original could do a bit better in that area.

Dec 26, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #1,751 of 2,094
Thank you, I was hoping to get some feedback on both. How much more detail in the treble does the 2022 squeeze out? I feel the original could do a bit better in that area.
A good amount. Compared to smsl stack, and r3, the r5 is the most treble centric. Pairs super well with xenns Up. Its very musical as a whole. Love the r5 gen 2.

Dec 26, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #1,752 of 2,094
A good amount. Compared to smsl stack, and r3, the r5 is the most treble centric. Pairs super well with xenns Up. Its very musical as a whole. Love the r5 gen 2.
Now I just need to figure out if r6 2020 is an Ctual upgrade to r5 gen 2.

Dec 26, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #1,754 of 2,094
I've owned many mid-fi devices (including the R3 pro sabre) with both single-ended and balanced outputs.

The only discernible difference I've been able to hear (using short 1.2m cables) is out is output power.

(Having done some research, I'd expected better channel separation, but for me it isn't audible. As far as I can tell, the other benifits of balanced connections only seem to apply in situations involving distances longer than your typical headphone cable and only in (electromagnetically) noisy environments)

In light of that, I personally wouldn't spend $200 on balanced cables unless you are having issues driving your headphones.

Dec 26, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #1,755 of 2,094
@JoshG1217 How about hiss level between the two R3s? Specs show that 2022 has a good amount more power, just hoping it’s still suitable for sensitive IEMs.
No hiss. 2022 runs about 5 volume steps back from previous model. Clean background

Users who are viewing this thread

Back