Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Dec 14, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #1,711 of 2,094
1. Fix Tidal login
2. More stable wifi as I get dropped connections when moving around the house.
3. More compatibility with UPnP sources and add UPnP browse and control functions.
4. Additional streaming services, Spotify connect, etc (as hinted at launch).
Funny - your list is 100% on my "I couldn't care less about it" list :)

Dec 14, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #1,712 of 2,094
WilcoRogerThank you, but this is not the solution to the problem. Firmware 1.7 was not recommended by the manufacturer for P3 2022. When using it, the player does not function normally. Here is what dear jamonbread writes about it
I see, I have the previous (Saber) version.

Another thing - Hiby having firmware updates on google drive? How serious can that be?

Dec 14, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #1,713 of 2,094
Roll back to 1.7 was straightforward - download it from the Hiby website, follow the instructions for manual "upgrade". Put downloaded file into root of sd-card, then System settings -> Firmware upgrade
Best solution.
As many here, i've updated my R3 Pro with the last firmware and it was really unreliable (reboot with random tracks etc.).
This v.2 should be removed from their website.

Dec 14, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #1,716 of 2,094
the global version 2.0 of the firmware on Google drive has a size of 49 MB, the Chinese version 2.0 of the firmware on Baidu has a size of 102.5 MB. This is a very strange difference.

Indeed very strange. If someone's in an adventurous mood, he might download/install both and see the difference.

But still - hosting your firmware files in google/baidu instead on your own server? C'mon.

Dec 14, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #1,718 of 2,094
Indeed very strange. If someone's in an adventurous mood, he might download/install both and see the difference.

But still - hosting your firmware files in google/baidu instead on your own server? C'mon.
I downloaded and installed that fw from Baidu. The r3pro.upt file is exactly the same as the v2 fw from Hiby.com and I did not notice any difference—it crashes the same way !!! :ksc75smile:.
The size difference between the two versions is coming from additional files (kernel.bin, logo.bin, read me.txt, recovery.bin, system.ubifs, uboot.bin, update_md5.txt) in the Baidu zip folder.

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #1,719 of 2,094
Yes, I could read it. it's too bad. It's a good thing you were able to replace it.
And I agree with you: it's not a DAP made for streaming. Even if the options are present, I never dared to use Qobuz with it...

I use mine almost exclusively with Tidal and Qobuz streaming and it continues to work well. Interesting to see the different use cases here (as streaming was really the killer feature for the R3 lineup).

Dec 14, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #1,721 of 2,094
To be fair, it's also because I have my smartphone and a Shanling m3x; then Qobuz on the R3... more a gadget for me.
But you are absolutely right to take advantage of this feature :)

Yea, I have other, "better" DAPs as well. But nothing I have beats the small pocketable size of the R3 Pro for roaming around the house with IEMs.

Dec 15, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #1,724 of 2,094
Downgrade to 1.9 Firmware is available now from the HiBy web. I'll try to see how it goes, obviously tidal will be gone but i think Qobuz works fine in 1.9
My replacement 2022 model came with 1.9. I've had a few crashes, but only happened twice and only if I open list now playing on the playback screen. The audio would go choppy then it crashed and rebooted.

Dec 15, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #1,725 of 2,094
I downloaded and installed that fw from Baidu. The r3pro.upt file is exactly the same as the v2 fw from Hiby.com and I did not notice any difference—it crashes the same way !!! :ksc75smile:.
The size difference between the two versions is coming from additional files (kernel.bin, logo.bin, read me.txt, recovery.bin, system.ubifs, uboot.bin, update_md5.txt) in the Baidu zip folder.

So basically the "baidu version" has the system files separately and again packed in the .upt file. Seems like a monolithic kernel, which makes sense in the circumstances.

Given that this is a Linux OS, the source code should be available. I wonder where? (not that I put my hopes too high)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back