Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Dec 12, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #1,696 of 2,070
Hi, newby here.

I've bought a a R3 Pro Saber 2022 recently and I here I listed some issues I had so far.
*After installing firmware 2.0, mine came with 1.7 but tidal login was imposible.

-When using Tidal or Qobuz for some time the device reboots randomly
-I have to re Log in on Tidal constantly (Qobuz login is perfect)
-When I have USB in dock mode and the change to storage the device reboots
-When I play radio stations the device reboots, just with .AAC format.
-The device reboots on DAC mode sometime when I use it on my Mac Book
-LED color codes are different from the manual.

So far, I'm enjoying the product and I think this has nothing to do with hardware or quality

Dec 12, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #1,697 of 2,070
Hi, newby here.

I've bought a a R3 Pro Saber 2022 recently and I here I listed some issues I had so far.
*After installing firmware 2.0, mine came with 1.7 but tidal login was imposible.

-When using Tidal or Qobuz for some time the device reboots randomly
-I have to re Log in on Tidal constantly (Qobuz login is perfect)
-When I have USB in dock mode and the change to storage the device reboots
-When I play radio stations the device reboots, just with .AAC format.
-The device reboots on DAC mode sometime when I use it on my Mac Book
-LED color codes are different from the manual.

So far, I'm enjoying the product and I think this has nothing to do with hardware or quality
I'd try downgrading the firmware back to previous version till hiby fixes the issues, you'll lose tidal again.

Dec 13, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #1,698 of 2,070
Unfortunately as you may know by now, Tidal has changed the login method available to us and for quite a while TIDAL was inaccessible and, this being a crucial feature advertised of the product, this was almost only thing being worked on in the lead-up to firmware v2.0. Unfortunately the changes required are major and the new system more taxing on the low-power-consumption CPUs of the R2/R3 series, and we understand from the user feedback that TIDAL support on these units has effectively been downgraded in usability, whereas it was working better when the feature was first advertised and then launched, with the TIDAL APIs of that time.

For this I am deeply sorry. We will continue working on this as hard as possible.

Unfortunately TIDAL support on these units has long been ill-fated, from before the launch of the OG R3, when we advertised offline support (we saw no technical reason why it couldn't be done) until we were corrected (turned out the reason why nobody (including us) could do it was not technical but contractual), etc.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 13, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #1,699 of 2,070
Unfortunately as you may know by now, Tidal has changed the login method available to us and for quite a while TIDAL was inaccessible and, this being a crucial feature advertised of the product, this was almost only thing being worked on in the lead-up to firmware v2.0. Unfortunately the changes required are major and the new system more taxing on the low-power-consumption CPUs of the R2/R3 series, and we understand from the user feedback that TIDAL support on these units has effectively been downgraded in usability, whereas it was working better when the feature was first advertised and then launched, with the TIDAL APIs of that time.

For this I am deeply sorry. We will continue working on this as hard as possible.

Unfortunately TIDAL support on these units has long been ill-fated, from before the launch of the OG R3, when we advertised offline support (we saw no technical reason why it couldn't be done) until we were corrected (turned out the reason why nobody (including us) could do it was not technical but contractual), etc.
Hi! There is a problem with Qobuz - it does not see new releases - the tab does not work. What to do with a constant reboot? The player is almost inoperable. Could you give a link to a working early version of the firmware, relevant for r3 2022

Dec 13, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #1,700 of 2,070

Thanks for the insight about what has been going on. I personally do not use Tidal nor Qobuz. I would accept using my iPhone in that case, streaming to the R3 through Bluetooth or Airplay (WiFi or R3 tethered to my iPhone hotspot).
Could we expect a firmware release that would, at a minimum, provide a stable working DAP, even if it’s at the expense of Tidal & Qobuz support?

Dec 13, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #1,701 of 2,070

Could an alternative version of the firmware that doesn't include streaming apps support more indexed tracks?

It would be nice option to have alternative choice that removes the streaming apps.
After updating I had issues lagging UI, then freezing and rebooting.
I downgraded back to previous firmware but then had freezing UI with only physical buttons working.

Dec 13, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #1,702 of 2,070
I really try to like this, but the sloppy coding and lack of QC for the code makes it very difficult.

This DAP seems to suffer from what many other Chinese electronic gadgets do - put together some off the shelf hw (which can be actually good spec) but put only minimum or no effort into firmware, usability, UX, etc and release buggy code. Then abandon the whole thing as the next product release cycle comes along with the latest and greatest gizmo.

I downgraded to 1.7, because I couldn't stand the random reboots in 2.0. Will see if it's any better.

I'd love to see a firmware with pure local player option (all streaming, wifi, etc disabled) and another full blown option.

While dreaming - best case scenario would be to have a settings file, where you can enable or disable the boot options, like wih the Mr Walkman firmeare for the Sony players.

I'm quite sure the kernel could also be trimmed/optimized considerably and there must be useless kernel modules loaded but useful ones don't (like no Hindi, Arabic, etc modules, so these characters show up as squares. These are but tiny Linux kernel modules - but if the sw engineers' brief doesn't say "enable other languages" they don't.

I know, never gonna happen.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #1,703 of 2,070
Maybe it's time for an update to the R3 Pro (other than DAC chip shuffling) with more capable hardware (Ingenic X2000 maybe). I know I would buy one as my OG Cirrus version still gets lots of play time... and it's nice and small.

Dec 13, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #1,704 of 2,070
Maybe it's time for an update to the R3 Pro (other than DAC chip shuffling) with more capable hardware (Ingenic X2000 maybe). I know I would buy one as my OG Cirrus version still gets lots of play time... and it's nice and small.
I was quite happy with software performance in general until the update as I don't use the streaming features.
I think the hardware was never really good enough for supporting streaming services, it was a nice bonus feature I guess, but maybe if it didn't have to support streaming it would free up space and resources for other improvements.
Support for more songs, more text characters and scrolling text would be a nice upgrade.

Dec 14, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #1,706 of 2,070
Joe Bloggs hi!
After updating R3 2022 to version 2.0, many users report serious problems with spontaneous rebooting. Please don't ignore the problem!
Give a link to the working firmware, or instructions on how to roll back to the previous firmware 1.9. Only the Qobuz new releases tab did not work in it, but there were no reboots, and the player could be used.
Or would you advise returning the player to the seller?:rage:

Dec 14, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #1,708 of 2,070
Roll back to 1.7 was straightforward - download it from the Hiby website, follow the instructions for manual "upgrade". Put downloaded file into root of sd-card, then System settings -> Firmware upgrade
WilcoRogerThank you, but this is not the solution to the problem. Firmware 1.7 was not recommended by the manufacturer for P3 2022. When using it, the player does not function normally. Here is what dear jamonbread writes about it
After experiencing the reboots after updating, I then downgraded the firmware back to 1.7.
It stopped the random rebooting, but the screen would freeze when switched off. I'd turn the screen back on during playback and the screen would be frozen no touch response, buttons all work fine and I could still skip tracks with buttons only.

Dec 14, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #1,709 of 2,070
What's the use of upgrading the hw if the sw remains as buggy and lacking as it is now?

I don't seem to be having any significant issues, at least for my use case which is mostly Tidal streaming and some local playback. My wish list would include:

1. Fix Tidal login
2. More stable wifi as I get dropped connections when moving around the house.
3. More compatibility with UPnP sources and add UPnP browse and control functions.
4. Additional streaming services, Spotify connect, etc (as hinted at launch).

Again I have the original R3 Pro, so YMMV. Also, I don't have a lot of runtime on V2.0 and haven't checked every feature. Maybe the wifi drops are random reboots and I haven't been looking at the screen with the DAP in my pocket. I'll try to pay more attention today.

Dec 14, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #1,710 of 2,070
Just got another replacement unit of the 2022 version this time with firmware 1.9, my previous 2 units came with version 1.7 and this unit crashed during playback out of the box? I'm going to try and downgrade again I guess. Can hiby please provide us with correct previous firmware, last time I downgraded I got freezing screen.

Edit.
Maybe I was a bit hasty. I'd just booted the player up and scanned sd card, played an album, then went to list now playing. The audio started cutting In and out, then it rebooted.

I've since tried to replicate this and so far it hasn't happened again. The UI isn't lagging like the update to 2.0 did on my last unit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back