Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Dec 1, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #1,668 of 2,068
I have a frustrating issue with the v2.0 update on my R3 Pro Saber. Everyday I'm having to go through the process of scanning the QR code with my phone to access Tidal. It seems as though I have access to my account for around 24 hours before having to scan the code again. Surely this should be a one time setup? Anyone else having this problem?
Reply from Hiby. Not great this really.

"Yes, scanning the QR code to log in to Tidal is only valid for 24 hours. After the timeout, users need to scan the QR code again to log in."

Dec 1, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #1,669 of 2,068
Consensus seems to be that this isn’t the player for streaming or Bluetooth.
I would say it works very well over Bluetooth, at least 2022 model. LDAC and using phone as source has been a good experience, no noise, good bt range, sounds good. Still use it mainly with flac files, but for the occasion using the phone is no problem at all.

Dec 1, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #1,670 of 2,068
PXL_20221201_081431540~3.jpg

Had tons of fun the last week's with the 2022 model, didn't know I would like a DAP this much. Only used dongles before this and on occasion XD-05 Pro. Outside that it's always desktop gear at home.

For the price I can not complain, getting a faster and bigger SD card today.

Dec 1, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #1,671 of 2,068
On the flipside, my R3 is sat on a shelf and doesn't see much use. I find it annoying to browse and find music on it. That and it's full of long-standing bugs and quirks that HiBy don't seem to care to fix.

I think the hardware is very good, but the software could do with a lot of attention to fix bugs and add some quality of life improvements.

Like:

- The search feature should be incremental and not anchor the search term to the beginning of the artist/album/track (you can work around the latter with an SQL injection attack, but that's hardly salvation!)
- The little icon that switches the browser list between an artists albums and tracks doesn't show if you select an artist in the search results. So if you want to see the albums by an artist, you have to scroll through the artist list instead.
- In some screens you can go back by swiping right, but not on others where you have to tap the little arrow instead (e.g. bluetooth mode and "view album" screen).
- You can still get the player stuck in bluetooth mode if you turn on bluetooth and switch bluetooth mode too quickly.
- There is a "go to album" feature, but no "go to artist"
- There is no "play random albums" or "play random artists" feature.
- You can't adjust the EQ or MSEB in bluetooth mode.

I could go on...

It frustrates me that this little player could be fantastic if HiBy put some more effort into software.

Anyway, rant over.

Dec 1, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #1,673 of 2,068
Reply from Hiby. Not great this really.

"Yes, scanning the QR code to log in to Tidal is only valid for 24 hours. After the timeout, users need to scan the QR code again to log in."

Well that's damned inconvenient. @Joe Bloggs - please help get this fixed. I don't want to have to pull out my phone every time I want to stream Tidal. It kinda defeats the purpose of a small, handy streaming DAP.

Dec 1, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #1,674 of 2,068
PXL_20221201_081431540~3.jpg
Had tons of fun the last week's with the 2022 model, didn't know I would like a DAP this much. Only used dongles before this and on occasion XD-05 Pro. Outside that it's always desktop gear at home.

For the price I can not complain, getting a faster and bigger SD card today.
That is a very aesthetically pleasing pic and hey, Infected Mushroom! Classical Mushroom might just be in my top 20 albums.

Dec 1, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #1,675 of 2,068
Well that's damned inconvenient. @Joe Bloggs - please help get this fixed. I don't want to have to pull out my phone every time I want to stream Tidal. It kinda defeats the purpose of a small, handy streaming DAP.
It's ridiculous. This kind of thing is always a one time procedure. So HiBy fix the initial login issue with a firmware update only to introduce a new one! You couldn't make it up.

Dec 1, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #1,677 of 2,068
It wouldn't surprise me if the Tidal 24-hour login thing is something imposed on third-party vendors when they are using the Tidal API.
Possible. I did wonder. I'm not sure why this has started since the V2.0 firmware upgrade. Perhaps Tidal had a different system in place which led to the tokens expiring and the subsequent login issue.

Dec 6, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #1,679 of 2,068
I have a frustrating issue with the v2.0 update on my R3 Pro Saber. Everyday I'm having to go through the process of scanning the QR code with my phone to access Tidal. It seems as though I have access to my account for around 24 hours before having to scan the code again. Surely this should be a one time setup? Anyone else having this problem?
Me too

Dec 7, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #1,680 of 2,068
The new firmware upgrade is not great.

First thing I noticed after upgrading is UI lag.

After manually selecting a song, or skipping a track the UI lags for 3 or so swipes back before then the lag stops.

If I turn the screen off after selecting a song straight away, it will still lag after turning the screen back on again, evan if l let it play for some time.

Tonight out of nowhere the player has started regularly freezing when selecting songs and then rebooting itself, it was fine all of today.

I decided to downgrade the firmware back to 1.7, all seemed fine at first and lag was gone, but now when I switch the screen off while playing a song, after awhile the touch screen is frozen evan though music is still playing. The physical buttons all work but the screen remains frozen until rebooting.

Looks like it's going back to amazon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back