Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Dec 7, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #1,681 of 2,094
The new firmware upgrade is not great.

First thing I noticed after upgrading is UI lag.

After manually selecting a song, or skipping a track the UI lags for 3 or so swipes back before then the lag stops.

If I turn the screen off after selecting a song straight away, it will still lag after turning the screen back on again, evan if l let it play for some time.

Tonight out of nowhere the player has started regularly freezing when selecting songs and then rebooting itself, it was fine all of today.

I decided to downgrade the firmware back to 1.7, all seemed fine at first and lag was gone, but now when I switch the screen off while playing a song, after awhile the touch screen is frozen evan though music is still playing. The physical buttons all work but the screen remains frozen until rebooting.

Looks like it's going back to amazon.
Surely, Hiby must know that this firmware update doesn't work? I've found them to have mediocre customer service at best anyways.

Dec 8, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #1,682 of 2,094
Surely, Hiby must know that this firmware update doesn't work? I've found them to have mediocre customer service at best anyways.
I've sent it back now. The first unit I had got stuck in balanced mode, no amount out of compressed air would fix it. I don't think it was dust in the port, the pin or plate must of been stuck.

I got a replacement hoping it was just a janky port. The second unit never developed the port issue but it had software issues instead.

I'm now trying to find something else instead. It's a shame as it was the perfect player for me minus the issues.

Dec 8, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #1,683 of 2,094
I've sent it back now. The first unit I had got stuck in balanced mode, no amount out of compressed air would fix it. I don't think it was dust in the port, the pin or plate must of been stuck.

I got a replacement hoping it was just a janky port. The second unit never developed the port issue but it had software issues instead.

I'm now trying to find something else instead. It's a shame as it was the perfect player for me minus the issues.
Mine had the problem where I couldn't update the firmware without installing some software thing on a PC...of course, MAC user here. They wouldn't exchange it, they wanted me to send it back to their China office for a replacement and have me pay for the shipping. So now I have the unit but stuck on firmware 1.3 forever.

Dec 8, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #1,684 of 2,094
The new firmware upgrade is not great.

First thing I noticed after upgrading is UI lag.

After manually selecting a song, or skipping a track the UI lags for 3 or so swipes back before then the lag stops.

If I turn the screen off after selecting a song straight away, it will still lag after turning the screen back on again, evan if l let it play for some time.

Tonight out of nowhere the player has started regularly freezing when selecting songs and then rebooting itself, it was fine all of today.

I decided to downgrade the firmware back to 1.7, all seemed fine at first and lag was gone, but now when I switch the screen off while playing a song, after awhile the touch screen is frozen evan though music is still playing. The physical buttons all work but the screen remains frozen until rebooting.

Looks like it's going back to amazon.
Which version of the R3 Pro did you have before returning it? I had none of those issues on my R3PS but there are strange inconsistencies in the behaviour of these models. In theory two identical models running the same firmware should behave in the same way. But v1.7 was unusable on my R3PS and yet others had no issues at all with the same model running v1.7!

Dec 8, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #1,685 of 2,094
Which version of the R3 Pro did you have before returning it? I had none of those issues on my R3PS but there are strange inconsistencies in the behaviour of these models. In theory two identical models running the same firmware should behave in the same way. But v1.7 was unusable on my R3PS and yet others had no issues at all with the same model running v1.7!
Both units were the newest 2022 models.

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #1,687 of 2,094
Hey, I just updated my R3 pro to version 2.0 and now this thing reboots randomly while playing. Is anybody else having this problem?
Constant reboots. The player cannot be used. Useless garbage. Perhaps the new firmware will fix the errors. Is there a hiby representative on the forum, or do I need to contact through the site?

Dec 12, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #1,689 of 2,094
Constant reboots. The player cannot be used. Useless garbage. Perhaps the new firmware will fix the errors. Is there a hiby representative on the forum, or do I need to contact through the site?

@Joe Bloggs is the Hiby rep on this forum.

Dec 12, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #1,690 of 2,094
Finally got the Gimlet in my ears. Forget what I said about the cable, untangling it was a nightmare, and it feels like part of a costume for a third grader. IEM fits fine in the ear, though they are definitely there, and sound is.. good, follows the graph well, nothing peaking much but again lower treble emphasis like Cadenza. Cadenza beats it in timbre to me, treble is a bit steely, but bass is cleaner.. I think, maybe less textured though. Soundstage feels average. Bass has weight but could be tighter, I’m imagining a ballerina with a bit of a beer belly here. Like, she can move, but yeah lol. Idk guys, I’m not being super critical right now, and only an hour on it.

Dec 12, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #1,692 of 2,094
I just received my R3 Pro Saber 2022. It came with a v1.9 fw. I updated it (OTA) to v2.0 and now I also experience these random freeze/reboot issues, mostly when I change track. I tried rebuilding the database (I have ~13,000 tracks), but it had no impact.
Strangely, driving the R3 from my iPhone through HibyLink seems a lot more reliable…

Dec 12, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #1,693 of 2,094
I just received my R3 Pro Saber 2022. It came with a v1.9 fw. I updated it (OTA) to v2.0 and now I also experience these random freeze/reboot issues, mostly when I change track. I tried rebuilding the database (I have ~13,000 tracks), but it had no impact.
Strangely, driving the R3 from my iPhone through HibyLink seems a lot more reliable…
After experiencing the reboots after updating, I then downgraded the firmware back to 1.7.
It stopped the random rebooting, but the screen would freeze when switched off. I'd turn the screen back on during playback and the screen would be frozen no touch response, buttons all work fine and I could still skip tracks with buttons only.

Dec 12, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #1,694 of 2,094
After experiencing the reboots after updating, I then downgraded the firmware back to 1.7.
It stopped the random rebooting, but the screen would freeze when switched off. I'd turn the screen back on during playback and the screen would be frozen no touch response, buttons all work fine and I could still skip tracks with buttons only.
Note that Hiby download page says that v1.7 and below are not for R3 Pro Saber 2022, so this behavior may not be surprising…

Dec 12, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #1,695 of 2,094
Note that Hiby download page says that v1.7 and below are not for R3 Pro Saber 2022, so this behavior may not be surprising…
Mine came with 1.7 on, I then updated using the devices OTA over WiFi. When I downgraded, I had to by SD, but I selected firmware listed as compatable with 2022 version.

Now that I'm seeing other users report this rebooting issue problem, I'm assuming it's a software bug

What's strange is after updating OTA at first all I experienced was some added UI lag, it was fine for days before the player started rebooting randomly during playback.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back