Hi-end cans and lossy formats
Mar 16, 2013 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Zuriel

New Head-Fier
Hello, Head-Fi! This is my first post here. Well, I'll get to the point. I'm wondering how these high-end cans will sound with the source as a LAME-encoded MP3 (-V 2 setting)

Sennheiser HD600
Alessandro MS Pro/Grado RS1i/Grado HF2
Sony MDR-V6
Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Will they be forgiving of the lossy formats (musical) or will they reveal the flaws (analytical)?

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 8
V2 will sound "ok" on these headphones, although you may feel like you're missing out on something.

If you can, re-rip all of your CD's to V0 using the latest LAME encoder. (3.99.5).

If you have really well mastered CD's, then you'd be best storing them losslessly to either FLAC or APE.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 8
(quite impressed that the MDR-V6 is listed as high-end next to headphones 3x+ times as expensive)

Lossy encoding doesn't really make a difference. What does make a difference is the audio itself. 

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #7 of 8
in my experiences, hd 600/650 are the most forgiving of mp3 and poor recordings. they make even youtube tube songs and 160kbps sound decent. though of course, lossless is ideal whenever possible.

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
in my experiences, hd 600/650 are the most forgiving of mp3 and poor recordings. they make even youtube tube songs and 160kbps sound decent. though of course, lossless is ideal whenever possible.

Yes, I have the same experience. I used to have a DT880 but they were ultimately a little too revealing in terms of making low bitrate files and badly mastered pieces sound bad. I like to enjoy the music I am listening to so having a more forgiving can is important to me. The HD650 is great for this reason. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back