HF-2
Aug 16, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #751 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sure hope you like your cans, I had one on order and decided to cancel my order because at the time the mispelled word was more that I was willing to live with.
redface.gif
However "if it is not your cup of tea" shoot me a PM.
wink.gif
Thanks.

Will do. If I ever get them I plan to inspect carefully and if they pass muster, then give them a listen. The only other Grado's I've owned were Ms2i's and they never really floated my boat.

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #752 of 1,149
I had a total revaltion today as I was able to dedicte some serious listening time B4 heading out on my supersport, tearing up the streets acting like a total imbicle and showing why I'm gods gift to the motorcycle world and all of the people who are activally involved in the sport.
redface.gif

I decided to break out my amphora amp which i had boxed away due to time constraints and a lifestyle that manges to get into the way of every peasurable, midlife crisis thing that I want to do,

I was incrediblt pleased with the synergy that the Amphora and the HF2 were portraying. I could not find one bad thing to say about the combo

I have felt that even after a minimul amount of burn-in, the HF2s still irked me on some of the higher registers with some recordings.The Amphora took the higher registars and tamed them into something that i realy crave from a Grado. The bass was defined without being woolly, or creating bass cloud which impeded the mid-bass attributes.

The HF-2's provide dominent "better bang for your bass that is truly impressive and remarkable. Now that the Amphora manages the bass in a professional organized manner, that and the shrikky highs were my own compliants, which have seemed to be remedied.

An unlikely combination that has derived some saving grace for me, non-the-less

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #753 of 1,149
I don't even remember when I ordered mine now. I don't even think about it. When they come they come. Some day the sun will go super nova and it won't matter anyway. Enjoy what you got now and if you ain't got any phones, you can always listen to the wind. At least if you are waiting for them you can hear and that can be a true gift. :^)

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #755 of 1,149
Are people getting shipping notices with tracking numbers? I was charged last week as expected after talking with Todd on Monday and he said they would go out Wednesday. TTVJ website isn't updated with shipping info and I haven't received any email, I'd just like to know what day to expect them.

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #757 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my shipping notice the day after my HF2's arrived.

haha, that reminds me of usps. I hate their delivery confirmation. I used to work their helpdesk. (answering / fixing issues with their scanners etc). Generally you get notices that somethings been delivered the day after you get it

Wow gee thanks, that's useful
biggrin.gif

UPS is 100x better.

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #758 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by blargman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UPS is 100x better.

Except their overcharging for comparatively abysmal shipping time.

Anyway, I wonder if the count has broken 300 yet.

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #759 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't even remember when I ordered mine now. I don't even think about it. When they come they come. Some day the sun will go super nova and it won't matter anyway. Enjoy what you got now and if you ain't got any phones, you can always listen to the wind. At least if you are waiting for them you can hear and that can be a true gift. :^)

This. And when they come, it will be a big surprise, like finding a $20 in your pocket. Or a $400 or whatever.

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #760 of 1,149
Yes, I rarely gave them a thought after I ordered and then here they were. It's a genuinely pleasant surprise. Like receiving a Big Mac that bears more than a passing resemblance to the picture on the order board.

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #761 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2 I've been rather happy with the DT48a

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #762 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a total revaltion today as I was able to dedicte some serious listening time B4 heading out on my supersport, tearing up the streets acting like a total imbicle and showing why I'm gods gift to the motorcycle world and all of the people who are activally involved in the sport.
redface.gif

I decided to break out my amphora amp which i had boxed away due to time constraints and a lifestyle that manges to get into the way of every pleasurable, midlife crisis thing that I want to do,

I was incredibly pleased with the synergy that the Amphora and the HF2 were portraying. I could not find one bad thing to say about the combo

I have felt that even after a minimul amount of burn-in, the HF2s still irked me on some of the higher registers with some recordings.The Amphora took the higher registers and tamed them into something that i really crave from a Grado. The bass was defined without being woolly, or creating bass cloud which impeded the mid-bass attributes.

The HF-2's provide dominent "better bang for your bass" that is truly impressive and remarkable. Now that the Amphora manages the bass in a professional organized manner, that and the shrilly highs were my own compliants, which have seemed to be remedied.

An unlikely combination that has derived some saving grace for me, non-the-less

That is great to hear and I hope mine are keepers (if I ever get them). Synergy in audio as in life is a wonderful thing.

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #763 of 1,149
Just got mine today.

Ordered 6/3
Shipped 8/14
Received 8/17

Initial Impressions:

Build Quality: Glue Slopped all over them. I've put Grados together, taken them apart and mod'd them, there is no glue visible on mine, and I'm not a professional like Grado.

Quite a few nicks and bang marks on the Aluminum cups. One nick is pretty bad. The Aluminum has the Grado AL splotching problem mentioned by others on the 325s. Not bad, but evident in one spot.

Then there's the misspelling, nothing else to say there.

Build Quality Grade: D-, aka Typical Grado

Distribution: aka Todd. I got a notification with tracker that it shipped. But, and there's always a but, they didn't ship my salad bowls that I paid for in June when I ordered them! Grade B+

Sound: If you've never liked Grado before because they were too forward and had highs that gave your Tympanic Membrane a 3rd degree "Soundburn", you really should try these. They are a row or two back from sitting on the stage. You are still up front, but not sitting on the neck of the Guitar or the hanging off the slide of the Trombone. You're sitting in the Best seats. The sound stage seems wider to me than the rest of the Grados I've heard, not a hard mark to hit, I'll admit. The highs are smooth and the exaggerated sibilance I usually hear with Grados is now just the Sibilance that is present if there is any. Tape hiss, which Grados excel at reproducing, is not the irritant it usually is. Yet the resolution of detail is superb and much better than my GS1000s and a number of others. The bad stuff is not there and the good stuff is. The bass is adequate. No Grados have been bass cans to me including my GS1000s which I feel are "adequate".

I like Grados, but they've always been like Cotton Candy to me. Eat more than a few mouthfuls and you're sick to your stomach. These, at first blush, don't seem like that. I can see how you could listen to them for long periods and not get those Grado irritated nerves in your head that the rest of the line can produce. I have not heard RS-1s though, they're on my list.

That being said, that means that the super-sparkle, or glare to some, is missing to a certain extent. This gives them a very smooth detailed sound. I'll say it again, if you never liked Grados in the past, you "might" like these, a lot. I can see an HD650 lover loving these canz. I wouldn't call them dark, just a shade or two darker than your average Grado. They Sparkle, but don't Glare.

But every once in a while, Cotton Candy is kinda fun, therefore I'll have to keep some of the sizzlers in the stable for those periods when you want some serious sizzle with that steak!

On a side note, if I don't like mine and end up selling them, I'll sign "Les Garten Edition" just below JGs sig. Now those would be rare indeed!

icon10.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #765 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks les garten,

Any impressions of them with the salad bowl pads from your gs1000?

I'm letting them get some time on them presently. I have 5 sets of G-Cushions, so I'll take a set off my other canz and put them on in the meantime, probably tonight. I wanted to listen to them stock a little time to get a feel for how JG intended them to be. I'll like them though with the Salad Bowls. I have G-Cushions on all my Grados. If Grado didn't make the G-Cush, no way I wold own any Grados, they're too uncomfortable with anything else on them to me. I put them on around 1987 and hated the feel and never looked at them again till the GS1000 came out. They made me buy STAX at the time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back