HF-2
Aug 17, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #766 of 1,149
Mine arrived last week. They're in beautiful condition, no scuffs or hot glue overspill, and they're easily my favourite Grados now, nosing out my vintage RS1s due to their overall balance and soundstaging, which I'd agree is less upfront than previous models I've heard. Time will tell I guess, but it feels like I could live with these as my only phones given their combination of virtues. They seem as though they might be an "exit product" for some HP listeners.

best,

o

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #767 of 1,149
Order number #5899, still no news but Todd did say that mine was shipping last week, I haven't reconfirmed it though. Still I heard some people received theirs without any updates whatsoever from TTVJ so I suppose I should feel relieved?

For overseas customers, how long do shipping via USPS Express/EMS usually take?

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #768 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For overseas customers, how long do shipping via USPS Express/EMS usually take?

Mine took a brisk ten working days to arrive in Canada via EMS. If I'd known that the difference between USPS "Priority" and "EMS" was so small I'd have gone with the cheaper option.

o

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #769 of 1,149
Thanks for the testimony, orkney. I had a shipment using USPS Priority before and it took like 14 days before the package arrived. My main problem was the useless tracking though so I decided to use the more reliable EMS this time round.

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #770 of 1,149
orkney are you using them with the Earmax or the HeadRoom set>

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #771 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got mine today.

Ordered 6/3
Shipped 8/14
Received 8/17

Initial Impressions:

Build Quality: Glue Slopped all over them. I've put Grados together, taken them apart and mod'd them, there is no glue visible on mine, and I'm not a professional like Grado.

Quite a few nicks and bang marks on the Aluminum cups. One nick is pretty bad. The Aluminum has the Grado AL splotching problem mentioned by others on the 325s. Not bad, but evident in one spot.

Then there's the misspelling, nothing else to say there.

Build Quality Grade: D-, aka Typical Grado

Distribution: aka Todd. I got a notification with tracker that it shipped. But, and there's always a but, they didn't ship my salad bowls that I paid for in June when I ordered them! Grade B+

Sound: If you've never liked Grado before because they were too forward and had highs that gave your Tympanic Membrane a 3rd degree "Soundburn", you really should try these. They are a row or two back from sitting on the stage. You are still up front, but not sitting on the neck of the Guitar or the hanging off the slide of the Trombone. You're sitting in the Best seats. The sound stage seems wider to me than the rest of the Grados I've heard, not a hard mark to hit, I'll admit. The highs are smooth and the exaggerated sibilance I usually hear with Grados is now just the Sibilance that is present if there is any. Tape hiss, which Grados excel at reproducing, is not the irritant it usually is. Yet the resolution of detail is superb and much better than my GS1000s and a number of others. The bad stuff is not there and the good stuff is. The bass is adequate. No Grados have been bass cans to me including my GS1000s which I feel are "adequate".

I like Grados, but they've always been like Cotton Candy to me. Eat more than a few mouthfuls and you're sick to your stomach. These, at first blush, don't seem like that. I can see how you could listen to them for long periods and not get those Grado irritated nerves in your head that the rest of the line can produce. I have not heard RS-1s though, they're on my list.

That being said, that means that the super-sparkle, or glare to some, is missing to a certain extent. This gives them a very smooth detailed sound. I'll say it again, if you never liked Grados in the past, you "might" like these, a lot. I can see an HD650 lover loving these canz. I wouldn't call them dark, just a shade or two darker than your average Grado. They Sparkle, but don't Glare.

But every once in a while, Cotton Candy is kinda fun, therefore I'll have to keep some of the sizzlers in the stable for those periods when you want some serious sizzle with that steak!

On a side note, if I don't like mine and end up selling them, I'll sign "Les Garten Edition" just below JGs sig. Now those would be rare indeed!

icon10.gif

My impression of the HF2 is similar to yours, with the exception of the appearance. I must be one of the lucky ones. Mine appear blemish free and the glueing is quite neat.

My other Grado is the SR125 and it exhibits all of the sound qualities for which Grado is renowned or maligned. The HF2 is definitely toned down and full bodied in comparison, while not lacking in clarity or detail. It's just easier on the ears.

I haven't tried the RS1/RS1i either but I'm most interested to read any comparative reviews from those Head-Fier's who own either of those and the HF2. I'm also interested in seeing comparative reviews between the RS2 and the HF2 given the similar price points of these phones.

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #773 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten
Just got mine today.

Ordered 6/3
Shipped 8/14
Received 8/17

I ordered mine 5/31 and I still haven't received them. That's not good, unless Todd has run out of flats (which I ordered with them). My email to Todd didn't get a reply (though it wouldn't surprise me if he is overwhelmed with "When are my HF2s coming?" emails).

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #774 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yours might be as bad as Les's if you look as closely as he does...

Perhaps but I'm afraid that my mettalurgical microscope is out for repair.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #775 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered mine 5/31 and I still haven't received them. That's not good, unless Todd has run out of flats (which I ordered with them). My email to Todd didn't get a reply (though it wouldn't surprise me if he is overwhelmed with "When are my HF2s coming?" emails).

International shipping takes longer than domestic, that's not a surprise to you is it?

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #776 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yours might be as bad as Les's if you look as closely as he does...

Mine looked fine till I put on my Reading glasses
icon10.gif

Leave the pads on and you don't see the glue.

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #777 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My impression of the HF2 is similar to yours, with the exception of the appearance. I must be one of the lucky ones. Mine appear blemish free and the glueing is quite neat.

I agree - mine is as close to perfect as I would expect - no blemishes whatsoever, no glue overrun, no nicks or abrasions at all. I am VERY pleased with the build quality and cosmetics. The sound is as described by many - phenomenal!

Aug 18, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #778 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps but I'm afraid that my mettalurgical microscope is out for repair.

Well good thing is you won't need it, just open your eyes! Typical Grado, they seem to have particular problems handling Aluminum.

AAA_1890.JPG

Aug 18, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #780 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh man thats a big nick. And is the lettering rubbing off?

No, that's how the Lettering is. It is what it is...

I've seen a few sales of HF-2s. They all mention the nicks and that that was how they came from the factory.

If you look closely at the PIC I posted, you can see a lot of smaller little nicks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back