HF-2 vs K701+HD650
May 21, 2011 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

pogodrummer

100+ Head-Fier
Hello there! just a quick question: what would be better? a pair of used grado hf-2 (modded with a viablue 3.5mm plug) or an akgk701 + senn hd650 combo? 
I'd use the phones for almost all genres (maybe not jazz or alot of classical), and i'm a basshead, so DnB, dubstep and hardcore are a major part of the listening.
I also do some stuff in my home studio, so they have to be both musical and detailed.
music running out of my system (flac library to m-audio delta44(modded) to phase linear pre as headphone amp ) and my ipod 5.5g/iphone4 (all 320kb/s or aac, some flacs (rockbox)).
price would be about the same, maybe 20-25€ more for the akg+senn combo.
thank you very much! :D

May 21, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 11
HF-2 are nice allrounders, HD-650 too

Difference is HF-2 is on the forward side of things soundwise, 650 is on the laid back side of things. I can appreciate both for what they, couldn't choose if I wanted to.

But while HF-2 benefits from a dedicated amp, HD-650 needs it.
If you want to use it on an ipod or whatever source, unamped, definitely don't choose 650 or 70X 

May 23, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #4 of 11
If you're working in the studio, you'll need a monitor hps like the K-702. Here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/393139/k702-in-the-studio

BTW, you'll need amp and DAC, or some nice sound card.

May 23, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #5 of 11
@acix
i believe the k702 are sonically identical to the k701, or so i've been told...
cable is not a problem
i already have my modded delta44 as sound card and a phase linear preamp as headphone amp

May 23, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #7 of 11
701 and 702 are sonically identical yes.

I don't consider them musical and since you stated you are a basshead, listening to trance, hardcore etc. I think you can better forget about 70X, these cans have their fans and dislikers (I'm a absolute disliker), but your preferences definitely don't seem to match them

I don't have any experience with the Arrow, but I think it's a pretty respectable portable amp

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:

I don't consider them musical and since you stated you are a basshead, listening to trance, hardcore etc. I think you can better forget about 70X, these cans have their fans and dislikers (I'm a absolute disliker), but your preferences definitely don't seem to match them

I don't have any experience with the Arrow, but I think it's a pretty respectable portable amp

do you think hf2s are a good choice for that kind of music?
WOBBWOBBWOBWOBWOBBBBWOBB

Jun 7, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #10 of 11
I am a fan and I agree, the K70X series is not for you given your basshead self-designation.

Quote:

Jun 7, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
do you think hf2s are a good choice for that kind of music?
WOBBWOBBWOBWOBWOBBBBWOBB

I don't really listen to electrical music, trance etc.
But I'm not sure HF-2 are ideal for that. That wouldn't do it very bad, but maybe there are better choices.

I'd look into Denon (D2000/D5000/D7000) if I were you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back