Help with IEMs for sleep for someone with chronic pain
Jul 1, 2011 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

inkerbelle

New Head-Fier
Hello - I first want to start with an apology for starting yet another thread on this subject. I have been searching your archives for information related to this issue, as well as reading the very wonderful comprehensive IEM review page listed here. I have been trying to do my due diligence in finding what is right for me, but still feel very confused with all the products out there and selecting something that will work for me.

My specific issue(s) are that I suffer from extreme chronic pain due to several medical conditions. Part of the underlying conditions is also insomnia, for which I have tried a whole host of medications that basically do nothing. Recently, I tried an experiment with my iPod and found that for some reason, listening to music while trying to fall asleep actually did more for me than any medication I've ever tried. I can just leave the music running all night and eventually just wake up in the morning with uninterrupted sleep. I don't know why this works, but it does, and I'm not going to question it. 

The problem is right now I'm just using the crappy headphones that came with the iPod. I sleep on my side and I'm noticing that because of my hypersensitivity to pain, these headphones are causing my ear canals to hurt immensely. I gave up using them a few nights ago (now I can't sleep again), but my ears are still in great pain, even to the degree that now lying on my side is painful to my ears. 

My husband is in the bed with me, so external speakers won't work, as he wants it dead silent to be able to sleep. He has also complained that even with a low volume setting on my headphones, he can still hear them (even with a white noise machine in our room). Someone on one thread mentioned in-speaker pillows, but I don't know if those are quiet enough to not disturb a partner.

Anyway, I don't care what I have to pay. I am just interested in finding a very comfortable option for sleeping on my side that will not exacerbate hypersensitivity to pain. The IE8s were mentioned in the comprehensive review as good for sleeping. I don't know if anyone has experience with the 1964ears since they are customized (although I know the material might take getting used to). 

I am less concerned with audio quality than with comfort, but if there are good options that are pricy, I would obviously like to make an investment that produces a good sound. 

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Marie

Jul 1, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 22
I think you'd want something that conforms to the shape of your ear.  Many Shure branded headphones supposedly do this (however, some people have reported some discomfort with them).  If you go Shure, get them from a store and if it doesn't work out, return them.  Another idea is the MEElectroncs M6 (or M6P).  These are relatively cheap and do conform to your ear and are comfortable.  The fit issues people normally have is a bad seal (which can change with movement).  If you just need music for sleep, I don't think this change in quality should affect it that much.  Another idea is the Elago E7.  I have not tried these myself, but they too are supposed to be extremely comfortable and conform to the human ear.

If all else fails, get a set of cheap customs (these normally take a lot longer to get though as you have to go to an audiologist and get ear impressions). 

Another idea with the headphones is more of a safety concern.  Try for one night or two to wear one earphone (instead of two) to see if you can do this.  If you can, Ultimate Ears does offer a custom that only uses one ear.  This can be helpful if your, God forbid, fire alarm goes off.  Many of these headphones isolate sound (20-30dB) and I don't want you to not hear it.  However, if you cannot get to sleep with one earpiece do go with two.  One is safer though.

If you have any other questions, ask.

Jul 1, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 22
For universals I would take a hard look at the GR07, they have a movable eartip that makes them fit your ear better and they have an extremely detailed and balanced sound that is non-fatiguing. Personaly I have owned the IE8 and prefer the GR07 for it's sound and comfort. I also use my IEM's sleeping and find the GR07 is one of the only ones I can use on my side even a bit.

Otherwise you should consider a custom ear and if your really succeptible to pain you may want to look at the silicone based customs over a hard acrylic custom.

The big thing though would be to make sure the what ever you get doesn't stick out past your ear or you still won't be able to lie on your side.

Jul 1, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 22

Quote:
I personally suggest the Apple Dual-Driver IEM for this. Very ergonomic and the sound is not exciting so you can put it at a low volume with great comfort.

Westones Period. They sit flush with the ear, unbelievable comfort, super comfortable cable great sound. UM3X W4 or W3, depends what sound signature you may be seeking

Jul 1, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 22
Another vote for the Meelectronics m6. I've slept regularly wearing a bunch of iems including the Apple dual drivers, klipsch s4i, RE0, various soundmagics, etc...

It's gotta be the meelecs. Cheap, comfortable, sits flush with your ears, don't leak sound, and you won't worry about twisting the cables as you sleep, eventually destroying them, because they're SO CHEAP. I sleep with iems everyday myself since music and podcasts help my insomnia too. Rolling on those cables as you sleep always ruins them. I've resigned myself to that fact.

WARNING: I've bought a few of the M6's  with the mic and the mic always breaks, whether or not you twist the cables. Either the remote doesn't work or the sound cuts out on the side with the mic... Once I opened a pair and the mic was defective immediately, which is a huge problem since i ask my relatives to send these to me from halfway around the world. But that quality control thing seems to be confined to the mic versions. I finally bought the ones without a mic and they worked great for me until I lost them.

They sound great, btw, which is why I kept buying them in spite of the QC issues. I have a few higher end iems, the DBA-02, im716, etc.. and once in a while I'd crave the sound of the meelecs over those...

Jul 1, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #7 of 22
Agree on the Westones.  Had a similar situation earlier in the year (so I feel your pain) and the Westone 3s were by far the most comfortable with head on pillow.  Best of luck.

Jul 2, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #9 of 22
personally i think IEMs that sit right in the ear instead of drop down ones will be better for you.

i recommend iems with smaller housings, e.g. westones. It's very very comfortable.

If you need something real small, try audio technica ath ck10. It's so small, people complain they had to tug the wire to get it out.

Jul 2, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #10 of 22
I have the 1964 ears quads.  They are a DEEP insertion phone, and fairly bulky outside the ear.  Laying on them is not particularly comfortable.   I would recommend against them for sleeping.

Of the iem's I've tried, the Westone 3 and Westone UM3X were the smallest, and least obtrusive, and the only ones I really ever fell asleep with for a longish time.  I think most anything will have issues for all night sleeping.

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #11 of 22
I can't believe no one has suggested the SoundMAGIC PL50s for sleeping. You don't even notice them sleeping. It's unique form factor makes them perfect for sleeping. Balanced sounding as well and it's sound suits a lot of music older mas and pas are into. Nothing I've tried in-ear wise has touched the PL50 for comfort when sleeping. Affordable as well and very comfortable with shallow insertion. Very good value as well at $55.

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #13 of 22
Not that I have a problem with the PL50 or M6 myself but I have to toss in a recommendation for the dB Logic EP-100, easily the smallest dynamic-driver IEM out there. They were tuned for fatigue-free listening and with Shure Olive eartips (a must IMO) they will still be a little cheaper than PL50s. 

Jul 4, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
Not that I have a problem with the PL50 or M6 myself but I have to toss in a recommendation for the dB Logic EP-100, easily the smallest dynamic-driver IEM out there. They were tuned for fatigue-free listening and with Shure Olive eartips (a must IMO) they will still be a little cheaper than PL50s. 

Those look good too for sleeping.  From the pictures they do look like they are designed to fit nicely with the ear.  This is also a good choice.  If you care about audio quality while you sleep, get these.  If you don't, save yourself some money and get the M6.  If you plan to use these for everyday listening, get the EP-100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back