Help with IEMs for sleep for someone with chronic pain
Jul 4, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #16 of 22
First, your husband will be happy to learn that properly inserted IEMs do not bleed. He will not hear your music.

For comfort, I recommend a soft-gel silicone product like Sensaphonics. You can request a permanently-attached cable, which makes it very low-profile. That's the classic 2X-S. The single-ear stereo thing might be a safer option (for safety reasons cited earlier). Sensaphonics offers that option as well - it's called the 221.

Also, if you are having ongoing pain, I strongly suggest you see an audiologist (who may recommend an ENT doctor).

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #17 of 22
A summary so far, as I'm sure many other people will find this thread useful as well (prices are from Amazon.com for comparison purposes and indicative only):

MEElectronics M6 (or M6P or the sports version M6-CL), c. $22 :

dB Logic EP-100, c. $35 :

SoundMAGIC PL50, c. $55 :

How about other contenders that have been recommended by some as comfortable for sleeping with very low cable noise, even by those who have tried both the SoundMagic PL50 or MEElectronics M6:

- JVC HAFX66 (series) Air Cushion Headphones (sof tsilicon rubber, 3 tips, may have cable noise?), c. $15
- JVC HA-FX33 marshmallow, c. $11

BTW, as a side note. I have Westone W3 (braided cable) myself and I don't find the particularly comfortable for sleeping, esp. on the side with ear against the pillow. I have medium sized ear canals. YMMV.

Aug 6, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #18 of 22
Along the vein of this thread, the OP can also get pillows with an indent where the ear lays which work better with IEM's as well. Plus for those suffering from insomnia there are many great albums designed to help promote sleep when used with IEM/headphones.

Aug 6, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #19 of 22
Another vote for the M6's and the Pl-50's with a bias for the PL50's the memory wire on the M6 is a bit much, and the PL-50's have a smoother sound signature.

Aug 6, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #20 of 22

Quote:
Hello - I first want to start with an apology for starting yet another thread on this subject. I have been searching your archives for information related to this issue, as well as reading the very wonderful comprehensive IEM review page listed here. I have been trying to do my due diligence in finding what is right for me, but still feel very confused with all the products out there and selecting something that will work for me.

My specific issue(s) are that I suffer from extreme chronic pain due to several medical conditions. Part of the underlying conditions is also insomnia, for which I have tried a whole host of medications that basically do nothing. Recently, I tried an experiment with my iPod and found that for some reason, listening to music while trying to fall asleep actually did more for me than any medication I've ever tried. I can just leave the music running all night and eventually just wake up in the morning with uninterrupted sleep. I don't know why this works, but it does, and I'm not going to question it. 

The problem is right now I'm just using the crappy headphones that came with the iPod. I sleep on my side and I'm noticing that because of my hypersensitivity to pain, these headphones are causing my ear canals to hurt immensely. I gave up using them a few nights ago (now I can't sleep again), but my ears are still in great pain, even to the degree that now lying on my side is painful to my ears. 

My husband is in the bed with me, so external speakers won't work, as he wants it dead silent to be able to sleep. He has also complained that even with a low volume setting on my headphones, he can still hear them (even with a white noise machine in our room). Someone on one thread mentioned in-speaker pillows, but I don't know if those are quiet enough to not disturb a partner.

Anyway, I don't care what I have to pay. I am just interested in finding a very comfortable option for sleeping on my side that will not exacerbate hypersensitivity to pain. The IE8s were mentioned in the comprehensive review as good for sleeping. I don't know if anyone has experience with the 1964ears since they are customized (although I know the material might take getting used to). 

I am less concerned with audio quality than with comfort, but if there are good options that are pricy, I would obviously like to make an investment that produces a good sound. 

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Marie

Personally, I can't believe that your partner won't sacrifice a bit of his sleep for the pain you're suffering (if it is severe). 

Aug 6, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #21 of 22

Quote:
A summary so far, as I'm sure many other people will find this thread useful as well (prices are from Amazon.com for comparison purposes and indicative only):

MEElectronics M6 (or M6P or the sports version M6-CL), c. $22 :

dB Logic EP-100, c. $35 :

SoundMAGIC PL50, c. $55 :

How about other contenders that have been recommended by some as comfortable for sleeping with very low cable noise, even by those who have tried both the SoundMagic PL50 or MEElectronics M6:

- JVC HAFX66 (series) Air Cushion Headphones (sof tsilicon rubber, 3 tips, may have cable noise?), c. $15
- JVC HA-FX33 marshmallow, c. $11

BTW, as a side note. I have Westone W3 (braided cable) myself and I don't find the particularly comfortable for sleeping, esp. on the side with ear against the pillow. I have medium sized ear canals. YMMV.

I haven't tried much IEMs, but the JVC HA-FX67 doesn't have cable noise, at least my pair doesn't. If you're lying sideways, they don't put any pressure on your ears. I also own the FX35 marshmallows, those are super comfortable as well, but horrid sound quality.

Aug 6, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #22 of 22
I'll recommend the q-JAYS. Why? Because they are the tiniest iems available. You have to see them to believe how tiny they are. They are easily swallowed by even the smallest of ears and they are the most comfortable sleep iem I have ever tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back