Help Purchasing New Sub 200$ IEM W/ Mic
Jul 27, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #32 of 36
Quote:
Currently I am looking at either the Hf2 or the Audeo PFE 12x.  Any thoughts on deciding between these two or the different sounds that they have?

I can actually do a direct comparison right now since I have both on hand...  Well, the PFE 022 (with grey and black filters makes them 122; only difference between models is accessories and filters).  I'll do the comparison with grey filters first, then the one with black.  

Grey filters

One thing I do need to say is that there is an extremely similar sound signature to the two with grey filters on.  They both offer a more analytical sound to them.  

1. Bass: The bass is really well produced by both IEMs.  Both the PFEs and HF2s offer a good amount of sub-bass.  The PFEs have a tad bit more sub-bass in them that allows for slightly better presence.  One place the PFEs excel over the HF2s is the bass impact.  Impact is bumped up 1, maybe 2 dB (small bump), but it makes the big difference allowing better bass impact.  Both IEMs perform the same punch wise.  Both are fast with good speed and power to them.  It's the extra bits in the PFE that puts it a step above the HF2s.  
  2. Mids: As we go down into the midrange, we find that they differ a little bit.  The PFEs offer a bit of warmth over the HF2s, but quality-wise, they are equally matched.  The HF2s offer a more energetic midrange as a whole, but both offer great energy.  Vocal lushness is a little better with the PFE over the HF2, but both deal with the sweetness in a beautiful manner.  That said, both do exceptionally well with dynamics.  Clarity is well represented in both.  While the PFE offers a slight warm over the HF2, the HF2 offers a brighter sound.  Detail retrieval is about the same with both IEMs as well.  I would say that the IEMs are evenly match in the midrange, you can't go wrong either way.
  3. Highs: The Etymotic highs are slightly more forward than the PFE, both do well in this area as well.  The HF2 does much better extending into the higher highs and offer a softer sound to them overall.  The PFE are a little more sibilant in comparison, but you'd have to AB to really get this.  Both offer great separation, clarity, and detailing throughout the high end.  The PFE is a little more laid-back while the HF2 is brighter in this regard.  With all that said, the PFE tends to decay a little quicker than the HF2, which makes the HF2 splashes sound a little better in comparison to the HF2, but only by a smidge.  I would have to say that the HF2s do fare better than the FPE at the slgihtest

With the grey filters, you literally have to AB them to hear the differences in the low and high ends.  The midrange is the biggest difference between them.  Simply stated, one is warmer then the other.

Black Filters

The black filters remove a little bit of energy from the PFEs, but give a nice sub-bass boost and treble extension.  The filters filter out some of the midrange spike that is located at the 2.5 kHz range, so you will have to increase volume a notch on your device.  The PFE black filters will have a slight V to them, a slight V, nothing big.  I'd call it more of a dip than a v...  It's enough for me to call them closer to flat than V, balanced if you will.

1. Bass: There is no doubting that the PFEs seem to dig just a little deeper than the HF2 offering new textures to be discovered.  A stronger impact and punch also ensue here as well.  The PFEs with black filters really expose the bass as the weakness of the HF2.  It's not to say that the HF2 doesn't have punch, texture, or impact, but the PFE fares better due to the fact that it provides a stronger presences over the HF2.  With that said, the PFEs bass does go up a full notch from the HF2 simply due to the better bass presence.
  2. Mids: The midrange offers great detail retrieval and clarity throughout still.  The PFEs become more lush with the black filters, and have a hint of sweetness to them.  That said, the sweetness could be a little better with the black filters.  The HF2 beat the PFEs in this aspect.  Really, outside the warm sound vs bright sound (PFE vs HF2), this is the main difference.  HF2s take this one.
  3. The highs with the black filters are a little more linear to my ears.  They slowly catch up to the level of the HF2 with good sparkle and softness to them.  The differences between the high end come to become much closer in this respect.  Differences so small that I have trouble differentiating them through AB.  With that said, read the above.  The black filters make the PFE lose that slightly earlier roll off that I had with the grey filters.  The differences are so small here that it really becomes a wash.  Neither wins.

Extras

Both of these packages have their strengths and weaknesses outside of sound and inside of it too.  Let's go over the entire package you get from buying both of these new.

Common ground
  1. Excellent build.  Both offer kevlar reinforced cables, cases (semi-hard pouches). The Etymotic has an angled jack vs the straight jack on the PFE (mine anyways, the 132 might have an angled plug)
  2. Good attractive design
  3. Ability to wear them up

Etymotic
  1. Isolation.  Etymotic isolation is really second to none.  With silicone tips, they easily isolate as much as customs...  sometimes more.  Put on Foamies and you can forget about the world around you.  In the US, medical deafness is defined by a 32 dB loss of hearing...  Well, Etymotics tend to go around that area, and easily pass it with foam tips...  
  2. Ability to wear them down without swapping R/L earpieces.  Phonaks must be worn up.

Phonak
  1. Comfort.  Some people can't deal with the depth of insertion you must do with Etymotics.  I have to admit it as well, although the Etymotics are comfortable, the Phonaks walk circles around them in terms of comfort.  They truly are PerfectFit.
  2. Adjustable sound.  Don't like the sound?  Change it.  Phonak offers 3 filters for users to change sound.  From a bass-focused V-shape, to a slight dip in the midrange, to a boosted midrange that creates analytic properties in the IEMs.  This makes the PFE a little more versible (sp?) with people and genres.

The decision of the two is really questionable as either is better than the other.  I can recommend them both.  I will say this though, if you want a slight warmth, go with Phonak.  If you want something colder and brighter, get the Etymotic.  Both are absolutely great IEMs, and great bang for the bucks.  If you don't like sticking things deep in your ear, avoid Etymotic.  If you don't like wearing over the ear, avoid Phonak.  The power is in your hands.

Quote:
Aw Gee Tiny...

You have found me out.

Truth be told, I only own a pair of Apple Ear Buds that I found in the trash.

I hope you are happy, Jim

I'm done talking to you...  Your sarcasm and satire, as well as ignorance aren't worth my time.  Good day Jim.  Hopefully one day you will indeed expand your horizons a bit and delve deeper into the idea of audio.  You'll soon learn how loose a term like "accurate" is and how much deeper quality goes.

Jul 27, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #33 of 36
I'm done talking to you...  Your sarcasm and satire, as well as ignorance aren't worth my time.  Good day Jim.  Hopefully one day you will indeed expand your horizons a bit and delve deeper into the idea of audio.  You'll soon learn how loose a term like "accurate" is and how much deeper quality goes.

Kewl...

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #34 of 36
Thanks a lot for the help tiny!  I have decided to go with the Phonak's for some of the reasons you mentioned.  I'll message you what I think about them when they arrive! 

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #35 of 36
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the help tiny!  I have decided to go with the Phonak's for some of the reasons you mentioned.  I'll message you what I think about them when they arrive! 

Sounds good.  Hope you enjoy them :)

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #36 of 36
Hey guys, first post on head-fi, I am hoping some people can give some recommendations about buying some a new pair of IEM headphones.  

What I am looking for:
Under 200$
Has a mic for skype use and computer use

Above all great sound quality

Preferably headphones that didn't require an amp, but if they do, then please recommend an amp

Comfortable to wear for many hours at a time.  

I guess I really just want a some headphones for everything.  I spending extended periods of time gaming at my computer and on would like to be able to use the same headphones I listen to music with, to be able to talk with friends through skype.  

My portable music player is a Cowon J3, which I hope is a good music player, I haven't really tried many other than that, ipods, and a zune.  I saw that Cowon came out with the Z2, wondering if anyone has tried that and if it is worth upgrading to.

As far as my music tastes I generally don't listen to a lot of Electronic/ Hip hop/ Pop/ Rap but I really do I have a wide range of songs,   all with vocalist though.  

Any help  would be amazing, I'm excited to join and audiophile community, as I have good ears for music but haven't very little experience with equipment.  Again thanks a ton.   :D

Hi,
I use V-MODA O Positive. Not exactly an IEM, but for $50 and great sound, I can't complain.
Brainwavz R3 is $120, sturdy and has an nice fit to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back