Help Purchasing New Sub 200$ IEM W/ Mic
Jul 26, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:
The Etys could duplicate and/or exceed any IEMs bass with EQ. (in the same price range)
Jim

With EQ is the word...  Bloated bass can be corrected with EQ too... 

YOu seem to avoided my question, have you heard any other IEMs outside the Ety household...  If so, which ones?  Are they all analytical?  Could it be that your preference is analytical?

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #17 of 36
My preference is to have the most accurate IEMs possible within my budget.

I also have other IEMs besides Etymotic.

But for... Bang for the Buck, Accuracy, and Serviceability the Ety ER-4 cannot be beat. (to include clean bass reproduction)

In My Own Opinion, Jim

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #18 of 36
Quote:
My preference is to have the most accurate IEMs possible within my budget.
I also have other IEMs besides Etymotic.
But for... Bang for the Buck, Accuracy, and Serviceability the Ety ER-4 cannot be beat. (to include clean bass reproduction)
In My Own Opinion, Jim

Name them...  I have a feeling that your preference is analytical.  Which is why your bias goes towards the Etymotic for every single suggestion even if it would not be the best one.  Etymotic's low end may be good for the bass heavy genres, but it's not great or sufficient with presence. 

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #20 of 36
Lol it is beyond "bias". ER4 as "bang for buck"? Maybe when they were going for $150. But their current prices of $240-300 for an old design and single driver when you can get either a quad-driver BA (XBA4), or for just $20 more for a top of the line dynamic IEM (EX1000), the ER4s can hardly be called "bang for the buck".  I still love mine and think everyone should at least try a pair, but the things he's been saying all over the forum is just off the mark. 
Quote:

Name them...  I have a feeling that your preference is analytical.  Which is why your bias goes towards the Etymotic for every single suggestion even if it would not be the best one.  Etymotic's low end may be good for the bass heavy genres, but it's not great or sufficient with presence. 

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:
Lol it is beyond "bias". ER4 as "bang for buck"? Maybe when they were going for $150. But their current prices of $240-300 for an old design and single driver when you can get either a quad-driver BA (XBA4), or for just $20 more for a top of the line dynamic IEM (EX1000), the ER4s can hardly be called "bang for the buck".  I still love mine and think everyone should at least try a pair, but the things he's been saying all over the forum is just off the mark. 

He named the HF2, I think, since the ER4 doesn't have a remote and mic.  Those are bang for the buck (assuming street price), but he acts like every other headphone is inferior.  So it is a little more than a bias.

A little OT: I didn't think much of the XBA4-iP, I was expecting a little more from them.  Then again, I was using an iPod with them (remote and mic is something I need when on the go, most amps don't allow this to continue working :frowning2:).  They were great though, but I was expecting just a little more.  Haven't heard the EX1ks, so I can't comment on that. 

I haven't heard the ER4, so I can't comment much on those, but have the HF2 and EtyKids 3.  Both are superb IEMs, but not a godsend.  I enjoy them very much being an analytical listener myself. 

Jul 27, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #22 of 36

This is part of the problem with Self Made Audiophiles... You ASSUME my prefference is analytical... I have cleary stated that I prefer Acurate Sound.

Now you say that Etymotics bass may be good for bass heavy genres??? Well which is it? You can't have it both ways. Although you can and do say it both ways. Just not great with presense? Again, veiws coming from One Guy.

Jim

PS When it becomes a requirement to list out IEMs owned, listened to, touched, felt, looked upon, and/or read about. I will be one of the first to provide you with my resume.

Jul 27, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #23 of 36
This is the most ignorant and clueless comment I've ever seen. Try other IEMs and get some perspective before spewing nonsense. 

Ygg

Have tested the limits of Etys bass under a EQ situation?

Thanks, Jim

Jul 27, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #24 of 36

I have just yesterday purchased my 4th set of Ety ER-4.

And have spent less than 500 bucks total.

Jim

Jul 27, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #25 of 36
I haven't heard the ER4, so I can't comment much on those, but have the HF2 and EtyKids 3.  Both are superb IEMs, but not a godsend.  I enjoy them very much being an analytical listener myself. 

Could you define Godsend IEM for me?

Thanks, Jim

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:
This is part of the problem with Self Made Audiophiles... You ASSUME my prefference is analytical... I have cleary stated that I prefer Acurate Sound.
Now you say that Etymotics bass may be good for bass heavy genres??? Well which is it? You can't have it both ways. Although you can and do say it both ways. Just not great with presense? Again, veiws coming from One Guy.
Jim
PS When it becomes a requirement to list out IEMs owned, listened to, touched, felt, looked upon, and/or read about. I will be one of the first to provide you with my resume.

Please read the whole statement I made...  I hate it when people only read part of what I say. 

YOu have yet to name any other IEMs...  Please name them.

Quote:
Could you define Godsend IEM for me?
Thanks, Jim

Godsend, best of the best.  There is no better.  It has no weaknesses.  It is perfect  Refers to the idea that they were sent by God himself (or herself, or itself). 

Jul 27, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #27 of 36
Please read the whole statement I made...  I hate it when people only read part of what I say. 

YOu have yet to name any other IEMs...  Please name them.

Likewise... See my above PS.

Kirk Out,

Jim

Jul 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:
Likewise... See my above PS.
Kirk Out,
Jim

That's fine...  You're still avoiding the question.  I'll just assume you haven't heard any others...  Which in turn means...  I'm curious though...  Name one thing that is wrong with the HF2...  Name one (sonically, outside the treble).  With all this said, I still have a feeling your preference tends towards the analytical side...  I have yet to see you talk about any other IEM outside the analytical realm, heck, you haven't stepped outside the Etymotic realm yet...  Just sayin'.

Jul 27, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

That's fine...  You're still avoiding the question.  I'll just assume you haven't heard any others...  Which in turn means...  I'm curious though...  Name one thing that is wrong with the HF2...  Name one (sonically, outside the treble).  With all this said, I still have a feeling your preference tends towards the analytical side...  I have yet to see you talk about any other IEM outside the analytical realm, heck, you haven't stepped outside the Etymotic realm yet...  Just sayin'.

Aw Gee Tiny...

You have found me out.

Truth be told, I only own a pair of Apple Ear Buds that I found in the trash.

I hope you are happy, Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back