Help on getting new IEMs (Classical Music)
Jul 21, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #46 of 51
Hi there, I know I definitely need more friends, thanks for being my first new one, it's always nice to make friends, isn't it?

I'm not saying that I hate the Etys from now on, I still love them and I do 100% believe you, they're still my first choices.
What do you think about Etys and IE 80?

Jordan

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #47 of 51
I will be honest...

I do not know the ie80s.

What I do know is this...

The Ety design is straight forward, they advertise their specs, have a great warranty & customer service plan, can use a multitude of tips, have a custom tip program for a 100 bucks, have for free (with purchase) the !Awareness App for iphone & android.

Oh, and they also have Fitear Togo 111 trying very hard to be them.

They, Ety have many more fans then you could imagine.

It is a True Audiophile IEM.

Good Luck, Choose Wisely, and Enjoy whatever you purchase.

Jim

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #48 of 51
Hey, Just thought I'd share this.

The other day I wrote to Headroom to inquire about alternatives to the GR10.  Here's what Jorge had to say: "The Etymotic HF3 -- or the ER4 model w/o a 'built-in' iPhone mic -- offers better detail resolution and clarity in the mids/ upper highs versus the Grado GR10. The Etymotic line also has a more deeply inserted "earplug-like" fit so the isolation factor and stability of the earpiece is superior to the Grado ergonomics. However, the Grado GR10 musical presentation maintains a fuller, more satisfying texture in the low-end bass response imho." He went on to say that the closest thing in full-sized cans to the GR10 is the Denon D2000, which offers a "close acoustic equivalent with wider soundstage depth & expansiveness and also faster dynamic extension compared to the GR10."

I don't know if I agree about the D2000 being a close acoustic equivalent to the GR10.  I always found the D2000 to be much heavier in the bass quantity department and much more extended in the highs than the GR10 (or GR8).  Anyway, what do I know... he's the expert, not me.

I do have to say though, you've piqued my interest in the IE80.  It sounds like they're an improvement over the IE8.  

Quote:
Hi vinnievidi,

I went to a dealer today and picked up the IE 80 for trying them out, I actually found them not that bad, probably it has been improved after the IE 8, string ensembles are pretty impressively sparkling clear and separated, the soundstage is good as always, and I mean this applies to less large classical works. Etys were not available for testing, plus the fact that some of my audiophile friends said it would be too thin and flat for even classical music, I gave that up. Unfortunately, I couldn't find GR 8s nor 10s as they only have the full-sized headphones, and the dealers actually had bad comments on them somehow...
You were absolutely right, I tried the TF10 and it was really not for classical music, since it has 2 drivers for the bass and only 1 left for the rest...

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #49 of 51
Quote:
Hey, Just thought I'd share this.

The other day I wrote to Headroom to inquire about alternatives to the GR10.  Here's what Jorge had to say: "The Etymotic HF3 -- or the ER4 model w/o a 'built-in' iPhone mic -- offers better detail resolution and clarity in the mids/ upper highs versus the Grado GR10. The Etymotic line also has a more deeply inserted "earplug-like" fit so the isolation factor and stability of the earpiece is superior to the Grado ergonomics. However, the Grado GR10 musical presentation maintains a fuller, more satisfying texture in the low-end bass response imho." He went on to say that the closest thing in full-sized cans to the GR10 is the Denon D2000, which offers a "close acoustic equivalent with wider soundstage depth & expansiveness and also faster dynamic extension compared to the GR10."

I don't know if I agree about the D2000 being a close acoustic equivalent to the GR10.  I always found the D2000 to be much heavier in the bass quantity department and much more extended in the highs than the GR10 (or GR8).  Anyway, what do I know... he's the expert, not me.

I'm not sure I agree w Headroom at all. The D2000 comparison is just odd. The GR10 has some of the best mids ever and the D2000 mids are disappointingly recessed. I agree with you that the D2000's bass is much heavier than the GR10 but I wouldn't say that the highs were more extended...I thought the highs of the GR10 were plenty extended, if sometimes a little bright. For me, I got a nice "earplug" fit with the GR10 though not the painfully deep insertion of the Etymotic; obviously, fit issues vary hugely. I do wonder about Headroom's comment on detail resolution; GR10 had amazing detail imo, while being more colored than the ER4. 

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #50 of 51
Hey iMackler,

I know we agree quite a bit regarding sound preference, and I don't think this is an exception.  I misspoke when I said that the D2000's highs are more extended.  I guess what I meant to say is that they are way too sibilant.  I also agree that the mids sound recessed.  I honestly don't see the comparison to the GR10--which are still by far and away my favorite sounding IEM.

However, I do like the fit of the Etys more.  I have started to play with the fit kit for the GR10 and think that I found a sweet spot.  It's going to take more fiddling, but I think that I can get a secure fit eventually.  They sound too good to stop trying.   
Quote:

I'm not sure I agree w Headroom at all. The D2000 comparison is just odd. The GR10 has some of the best mids ever and the D2000 mids are disappointingly recessed. I agree with you that the D2000's bass is much heavier than the GR10 but I wouldn't say that the highs were more extended...I thought the highs of the GR10 were plenty extended, if sometimes a little bright. For me, I got a nice "earplug" fit with the GR10 though not the painfully deep insertion of the Etymotic; obviously, fit issues vary hugely. I do wonder about Headroom's comment on detail resolution; GR10 had amazing detail imo, while being more colored than the ER4. 

Jul 24, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #51 of 51
deleted-wrong thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back