Help on getting new IEMs (Classical Music)
Jun 16, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #16 of 51
Thanks a lot. I really need a good think now, because GR 8s or 10s are way too expensive, though they sound really good from your comments which might worth thinking.
By the way, what's the difference between GR8 and GR10? 
normal_smile .gif

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #19 of 51
Quote:
I really like the Westone 4 for classical as well as the PFE 232 which is way out of your price range.  In that case I think, from what I've read, that you could go with the PFE 122.  The soundstage is really open and the instruments have a nice amount of air around them which gives them a very realistic feel.  I get height in classical vocals/opera that I don't get with a lot of other iem's.  Some good deals can be found on the Westone 4 if you're patient - either from dealers or on the sale/trade listings.  Those would be my pick - speaking as a classical singer and someone who listens to a lot of classical and opera.

May I just be curious and ask about the clarity of Westone 4 in the high range, like the high-pitched mixture pipes in organ, and the "three-way crossover", would it affect the balance between the earbuds?

Jun 16, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #23 of 51
Thanks, and is it comfortable to have the Etymotic earbuds right in the canal?

Jordan,

The Universal IEM is one of the most customizable fitting of all headphone products.

Further, the small barrel/body size of the Etymotic ER-4 works to its advantage.

Here is a blogger that loves his ER-4Bs, and does various tip sound testing.

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com

With a Comply Foam tip, I can easily wear mine all day long.

Hope that helps, Jim

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #25 of 51
the triple flanges and the foamies. i feel that it sticks out too much with the foamies whereas i hate the feel of the triple.

I always come back to the Comply Foam tips.

With them I can go all day without discomfort.

I like the P-Series best. Longer foam, and longer sound tube.

Jim

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #27 of 51
Quote:
Thanks a lot. I really need a good think now, because GR 8s or 10s are way too expensive, though they sound really good from your comments which might worth thinking.
By the way, what's the difference between GR8 and GR10? 
normal_smile .gif

I owned the GR8 a long time ago and can't really speak of the difference in any truly accurate capacity.  Off memory though, I do remember that the GR8 is a bit less refined across the board.  I think the GR10's highs are less grainy and the bass is a bit tighter.  I think the GR8 was a bit warmer.  Again, this is all from memory and not a proper a/b test.  I would suspect that if you were to buy the GR8 and never listen to the GR10, you would be a happy camper.  I was once told that if Etymotic made the GR8 and GR10, the GR8 would be the warmer version of the ER-4 and the GR10 would be the next evolutionary step up.  From my experience with Grado and Etymotic, I can agree with this assessment. 

But please, I am not a Grado fan boy, and can see why you'd go with the Etymotic (cost being one reason--though the GR8 used can go for around $175-200); but I do still stand by my statement that you need to match them right or they'll sound too thin.  I agree with people who say that the Comply tips work well with Etymotics.  I personally really liked the longer P-Series tips, as they helped warm-up the sound and were a little more comfortable.    

What about the Westone 2?  It doesn't get a lot of love around here, but I've heard that it's pretty impressive for its price.   

Jun 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #28 of 51
I owned the GR8 a long time ago and can't really speak of the difference in any truly accurate capacity.  Off memory though, I do remember that the GR8 is a bit less refined across the board.  I think the GR10's highs are less grainy and the bass is a bit tighter.  I think the GR8 was a bit warmer.  Again, this is all from memory and not a proper a/b test.  I would suspect that if you were to buy the GR8 and never listen to the GR10, you would be a happy camper.  I was once told that if Etymotic made the GR8 and GR10, the GR8 would be the warmer version of the ER-4 and the GR10 would be the next evolutionary step up.  From my experience with Grado and Etymotic, I can agree with this assessment. 

But please, I am not a Grado fan boy, and can see why you'd go with the Etymotic (cost being one reason--though the GR8 used can go for around $175-200); but I do still stand by my statement that you need to match them right or they'll sound too thin.  I agree with people who say that the Comply tips work well with Etymotics.  I personally really liked the longer P-Series tips, as they helped warm-up the sound and were a little more comfortable.    

What about the Westone 2?  It doesn't get a lot of love around here, but I've heard that it's pretty impressive for its price.   

Thanks, I've thought about Westone 2 indeed, but I'm not sure about them, as compared to Etymotic...have you any comments on them?

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #29 of 51
Not from any personal experience, I've owned the W1, W3, W4 and UMX3, but not the W2.  The reviews on earphone solutions are pretty interesting though (there are some head-fier who have posted their reviews there).

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #30 of 51
I've a few to add to the mix, I know Etymotic has been said already, I'd like to add to that list:
  1. Etymotic ER series
  2. ACS T15
  3. Phonak PFE 1xx series (grey filters)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back