Help.Need a Recommendation for a Portable Source!
Sep 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TheEvilNarwhal

New Head-Fier
My friend came up to me the other day, knowing that I had some insight on the audio world, and asked me if I had any recommendations for an mp3 player. He has an Ipod touch but is disappointed with its performance. He is looking for a "bang for buck" mp3 that is less than $225. Any recommendations are appreciated. He will most likely not be using an amp, but I have one coming in the mail which might change his mind.

Sep 11, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 11
I would suggest a modified Galaxy S. With Voodoo sound, it is very good. You can get them used for about $120.

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 11
Not that I've heard. The Clip+ ($35) is well regarded, but again, I have not heard it.

By the way, what headphones will he be using? (That'll probably help)

Sep 14, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 11
Clip+, Sansa Fuze, Cowon J3, C2, D2+ would be nicer options than the touch. Remembering these are MP3 players that do music very well but not much else besides video and pictures (not Clip+) If he can come to face that these players do not support apps he is off to better enjoyment in sound quality. The C2 sounds very similar to J3 and is much cheaper, has 55 hours music playback, 11 hours video, SD expandable, plays the famous FLAC codec with enough enhancements and eq tweaking to throw a stick at. Cowons also have powerful clean headphone outs.

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
My friend came up to me the other day, knowing that I had some insight on the audio world, and asked me if I had any recommendations for an mp3 player. He has an Ipod touch but is disappointed with its performance. He is looking for a "bang for buck" mp3 that is less than $225. Any recommendations are appreciated. He will most likely not be using an amp, but I have one coming in the mail which might change his mind.

What generation Touch does he have? If it's 4th-gen, he should look into one of the equalizer apps...Equalizer, EQu, Sonicmax Pro.  If he tinkers with them he'll likely no longer feel the need to get anything different.

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #9 of 11
he would do better to invest in some decent sounding headphones and a couple of the eq apps.

touch is fine, you can even get the cowon eq (sonicmaxpro bbe app) on the touch. (best on the 4g of course)

also make sure he has decent quality music files.

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #11 of 11
Get something with a card slot. The Sandisk Clip+ and Clip Zip  are cheap. For much longer battery life, consider the Cowon C2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back