Help me to choose which headphones to buy!
Nov 27, 2012 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Groovetreatment

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,im new in this forum and as i have read through the net this is the right place to help me.Im building up my home studio,including pc,soundcard,monitors and headphones .I produce progressive-house,deep-house,chill out.Im in big trouble to decide which headphones to buy,i have read many reviews,forums etc and cant decide.The problem is that in stores in my town (i live in greece) there are very few headphones,only some sennheizers and akg to listen and not all models so i cant hear them all.I have experience only with 1 pair of headphones until now the Sennheiser Evolution e2270 and i liked them but they broke.So here is the deal.Because i dont have big room and is not treated well,i will not buy more than 6" monitors,and im between Yamaha hs50m and Equator D5 cause i have read that they are the one of most revealing and detailed in this price range,i dont need boomy monitors,i need them to mix right.So with this choose because i will have lack of bass i think i need some headphones with good low end.A friend told me to buy the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO and he tolds me that they are very revealing in low freqs but as i have said i cant test them cause my friend lives in uk.
After a big search over the net and many reviews and videos i think open back or semi-open is the best option for mixing cause closed are not so detailed and you cant head right bass there cause they are closed.My budget is 150 euros max and +20-30 if it is very good deal!Here is the list with the headphones that i have find that is the right for me after big research,please dont suggest me other headphones to confuse me more,just help me to choose between this!And i wonder if i need an amp or the soundcard(native instrument komplete 6 usb) is enough?For the akg i need sure an amp but dont know about other headphones.
Some are closed some are semi-open some open.

AKG K240 MK2 Studio  (lack in bass good overall but i think this is not for electronic music and need amp for sure!)
Beyerdynamic DT 770 250ohm (good overall)
Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO (very good low end as friend told me)
Sennheiser HD 280 PRO (good overall)
Shure SRH-840 (good overall)
Ultrasone HFI-680 (very flat frequency responce but lack in ultra low freq and they are also closed)
Equation Audio RP21 (good overall)
Audio Technica ATH AD700 (very flat freq responce and are open too) (is my first choice i think)
Grado SR60

Superlux-HD681 (very cheap and good overall but have a peak at highs i will buy this for sure to have them for second pair among the others from above)

e.g. a video from David Rat (the mighty headphone quest) helped me a lot for the list but the bad is that this video is for closed headphones only!And sorry for my english if i make mistakes :)

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 11
If you're making music the AKG, Beyers and Shure are your best options. The others are designed for music enjoyment rather than creation. 

You could also add the Beyer DT 880 to the list, as some say it's even more neutral than the 990. Either of those would be a good choice for electronic music making AND enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back