Help Me Pick a High End Custom
Nov 27, 2010 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

maverickronin

Headphoneus Supremus
I try to avoid reading about or trying things that are way out of my budget but that has come back to bite me now that my budget has expanded.  I don't know much about custom IEMs and I've come to the conclusion I need a pair.

My room is too damn noisy.  As I sit in my room, the various fans, A/C, etc come to 62 C weighted decibels if my radio shack SPL meter is to be trusted.  I can't listen to open phones at low volumes without losing all the detail and if I listen loud I can't listen for long.  In addition, I've measured my pet parrot at more than 115dB at one foot.

When taking inventory of all my gear I noticed that if I sold most of it I could consolidate to a single pair of high end headphones, and that if they were isolating and portable they would fulfill all my needs.  The cheapest closed 'phones I know are good enough in both SQ and isolation are the ED8s, but for that much money I might as well buy a high end custom which will be more portable and more isolating, so that's what I think I'll do.

My main concern is the fit changing over the course of a few years.  I don't want to have to spend $1200+ every 2-3 years or sooner if I ever manage to lose some weight.  I'd absolutely have to buy from a company that will reshell their own customs for a modest fee (maybe $100-$150 or so) since I'm not very comfortable sending them to a 3rd party.

Of the 'phones I've owned or had loaned to me long enough to form a firm opinion on them, the HD650 and SE530 are almost neck and neck for my favorite but neither are my "perfect" sound sig.  I'd prefer the HD650 had quite a bit more sub-bass and maybe a bit more mid-bass.  I'd prefer the SE530s had a hair more treble and a few hairs more bass.  I love their mids though, and I don't want to give up any quality in that area, though I'm assuming I shouldn't have to worry about that when dealing with kilo-buck customs.

Even though it may seem odd given my choice of 'phones I mostly listen to metal of all sub-genres though just about everything but country gets a turn on my playlist.  I'm also more or less a bass head (metal is followed by electronica/techno/trance), but if given the choice I'll take extension down to the very lowest subsonics over more quantity at a higher frequency.

So based on that, what custom should I pick?

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 50
2/5ths through the JH16 impressions thread.  Looking good so far...

Nov 28, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 50
UM Miracle, JH13Pro, JH16Pro, ES5..........

Nov 28, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #4 of 50
If you want to listen to the voice of inexperience, the JH16 sounds like a good fit. Bassier than the JH13, which I prefer and plan to buy. The JH IEMs are the only ones that have seriously pushed my "buy" button. Take that with a kilogram of salt since I have mainly focused on full-sized open headphones and floorstanding speakers.

Not to threadjack, but you mentioned losing weight. I dropped over 100 lbs. about two years ago and have kept it off. PM me if you want details. (No, I'm not selling anything. It's a lifestyle change that actually saves me money. :))

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 50
Sensaphonics will give you better isolation than JH (or any brand for that matter). For your listening preferences, I would recommend the 3MAX, which has exceptional sound quality with a more forward bass presentation than their other models (which are designed for a more neutral reference standard delivery). The 3MAX is a triple-driver, 2-way design with soft-gel silicone earpieces -- very comfortable. The isolation allows you to listen at lower volume settings while still getting a big impact. Price is $1050.

Full disclosure:
I'm a marketing/PR guy, and Sensaphonics is a client of mine.
I can tell you from personal experience, however, that they totally rock.

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 50
The JH16 and JH3A were looking like what I wanted but I just got an email back from them saying that they won't refit them several years down the line which turns me off.  On the other hand I love the idea of a bass dial on the amp itself and I'll probably use them enough that they will influence the growth of my ears.  Hopefully I'll have have a better job by the time I "outgrow" them anyway so it won't be such a huge deal buy a new set.

Decisions, decisions...

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 50
Quote:
UE18 may be just for you. The mids are awesome. The bass is not so prominent as on JH16 though. 

I've heard bad things about their customer service though.  Do they refit for the original buyer?

Nov 29, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 50
I'll have to look into those then.  Thanks.

Nov 29, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #11 of 50
I got the new UE Reference Monitors.  I honestly love them.  I'm lucky enough to live close enough to the Ultimate Ears office that I had a chance to demo both the UE18Pro and the Reference Monitors.  Both sounded wonderful.  But, for $350 more it made the choice easy.  

My thoughts on customer service.  I mean this generically after getting a tour of how they are made and I think this applies to any and all companies that make them .  These really are custom products in every sense of the word.  Each one is made by a few skilled craftsman and not by a machine on a line.  I actually think $1000 customs have less profit margin in them than $300 universals.  Lets face it, IEMs are just tin and plastic.  The cost is in R&D, Payroll, and Marketing.  With universals they send you $5 in plastic if you have a problem.  With customs, you have to deal with getting time from a craftsman and also it could be a complex issue such as how your ear collapses.  UE is the largest in the industry, so odds are they have a longer service line.  But, when I purchased from them, I certainly felt like I was dealing with good people that wanted to make my purchase just right.  

I'd highly recommend the UEs.  I'm not saying that other products might not be great, but the UE's certainly are.  The new cable is so pretty.  

I don't get anything for free from UE or anything, God I wish I did!  But, I'd suggest you call the guy that responded to my questions.  He can arrange a place for you to demo them locally.  He said he would appreciate referrals and I'm happy to help the guy since he made me so happy.

His info is below:
David Gutierrez
Artist Rep.
Ultimate Ears
5 Jenner Street, Suite 100
Irvine, CA 92618

949.783.5678 English
866.963.3479 Spanish/[size=medium]/gratis[/size]
Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm,PST
dgutierrez@ultimateears.com

Nov 29, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 50
Maybe I'll give that guy a call.  FWIR so far I don't like what I've heard about their service, trying to charge some guy $50 for a picture of his custom art...

The impression I got from JH was that they might be a little slow sometimes due too a high volume of orders but that they made everything work out in the end.  Plus Jerry was absolutely great to talk to when I met him at CanJam.

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #14 of 50
JH told me they don't do refits when you "outgrow" them a few years down the line.  If not for that I think I'd be ordering the JH16 and JH3A rather soon.

I sent some emails to Westone and UE.  Now I'm thinking either the the ES5 or UE18 but the decision will probably come down to customer service though I think I'd prefer the UE18's sound.

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #15 of 50

Quote:
JH told me they don't do refits when you "outgrow" them a few years down the line.  If not for that I think I'd be ordering the JH16 and JH3A rather soon.

I sent some emails to Westone and UE.  Now I'm thinking either the the ES5 or UE18 but the decision will probably come down to customer service though I think I'd prefer the UE18's sound.

AFAIK, neither UE or Westone will do refitting a few years down the road. This is why we have companies like Unique Melody, Fisher Audio and Rooth that will do remolding for a fairly cheap price (compared to the initial MSRP of the IEM).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back