Help Me Pick a High End Custom
Nov 30, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #31 of 50
Quote:
I gave JH a pass because they're new (probably no one's had time to "outgrow" their JH customs yet) and probably have more orders than they can fill since they're still small.  Those factors don't appear to apply to UE or Westone.  

Again, I think you are looking too much at the company and not the people behind them, or the products they make. Also there are lots of people who have had refits (of JH IEMS) for numerous reasons, I don't know of any problems from people using UM or Fischer.

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #32 of 50
Westone got back to me and said they do refits that run ~$350.  Looks like I may be going with the ES5 then.

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #33 of 50
You should look up Unique Melody (UM).  I believe they do reshelling for less than $200 not including new ear impressions.  The miracle also got some rave reviews as well.

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #34 of 50
Quote:
Westone got back to me and said they do refits that run ~$350.  Looks like I may be going with the ES5 then.

Good for you, though I still doubt you will even need that service any time soon. Do come back with your impression of the new IEM.

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #35 of 50
Quote:
Good for you, though I still doubt you will even need that service any time soon. Do come back with your impression of the new IEM.

I hope I don't need it but I don't really want to have to take the chance.  It might be a while before I get them.  I need to save a little more and sell some stuff.

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #36 of 50
@UE

If you're still watching this thread I'd like your opinion on something.  I'm looking at getting a Headstage Arrow for its switchable bass, crossfeed, and because I want something with less hiss than my Bithead.  The problem is that it seems to achieve this with a rather high output impedance of 10 ohms.  Plenty of people seem to be happy using them with 2 and 3 way IEMs, but I can't imagine that would play nice with the crossovers and crazy impedance curves.

Any thoughts?

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #39 of 50
That 1964ears place looks good.  Located in the US, low prices, and they already have guy here on head-fi.

Dec 1, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #40 of 50

Quote:
@UE

If you're still watching this thread I'd like your opinion on something.  I'm looking at getting a Headstage Arrow for its switchable bass, crossfeed, and because I want something with less hiss than my Bithead.  The problem is that it seems to achieve this with a rather high output impedance of 10 ohms.  Plenty of people seem to be happy using them with 2 and 3 way IEMs, but I can't imagine that would play nice with the crossovers and crazy impedance curves.

Any thoughts?

You can get the Arrow 3G which removes the 10ohm impedance.  That was a response to the TF10 complaints. 

Dec 1, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #41 of 50
High output impedance tends to over attenuation certain frequency range on multiple-BA IEM due to their wonky impedance curve, but there is trick to lower the effect of output impedance on the IEM - that's to build an adapter (search Meier Audio website for headphone trick). The down side is that the amp will need to output higher current and thus less efficient.

Dec 1, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #42 of 50
My personal opinion is that this "problem" exists mainly in your your mind. Non-scientific observation of Sensaphonics customers over the past 5 years I've been associated with them indicates almost no incidence of people requiring a refit without profound changes to their own physiognomy. We have customers still happily using their Pro IV models from the 90s.

And after 3-4 years, there are going to be a raft of new models out there, making it less likely that customers will want to refit dated technology. My suggestion is that you make your choice based on actual features and benefits, rather than imagined future chagrin.

Just an observation, maverickronin. I wish you great success in your hunt.

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #43 of 50
Quote:
You can get the Arrow 3G which removes the 10ohm impedance.  That was a response to the TF10 complaints. 

Where does it say that on the Headstage site?  I was looking through it and didn't see anything mentioning it.  The 3G product page also specifically says the impedance switch is 10/60/110 ohm.

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #44 of 50

Quote:
Quote:

Where does it say that on the Headstage site?  I was looking through it and didn't see anything mentioning it.  The 3G product page also specifically says the impedance switch is 10/60/110 ohm.

Forum.  Also check the Arrow thread here.  Both have info on the change.

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #45 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus 
Just to clarify Rob. Those of us w/ the noisy click 2G will be able to update for free to 3G then?

Could you also expand further on the treble improvement? 

Also, will removing the 10ohm introduce more noise to the background? I wonder if some of us w/ no plans on owning a TF10 might benefit by keeping things the way the are? Obviously, you find it worthy enough to implement across your whole line.

Everyone can upgrade their old generation. But not now when orders are piling up. 

Removing the 10 ohm resistor increases slightly the noise and the turn-on pop (that's why it was there in the first place) and improves treble on very low impedance IEMs.

Also:

Arrow 1G:

- Since mid February 2010: Improved sensitivity of automatic switch (will not turn off accidentally)
- Since April 2010: Nuts are directly soldered on the circuit board (will not get loose)

Arrow G2.0:

- Second headphone jack
- No real power switch
- Deeper bass boost 9dB + 9dB
- Longer battery run time (up to 50 hours)
- Film input caps
- Lower ESR power rail caps and decoupling caps
- Rear switches are more recessed (less sticking out)
- Better firmware (faster power shifting, more precise battery voltage detection etc.)

Arrow G2.1:

-New pre-amp (less switch-on click noise)

Arrow G2.2:

- Change of output resistors from 10/75/120 to 0/65/110 (better synergy with some IEMs like Triple.Fi 10 which sound weird with any output resistor)

Arrow G3.0 - will start to ship at the end of November (please write me if you prefer this version)

- Change of output resistors to 0/20/65 (better control of treble)
- Additional ceramic capacitors to lower impedance of tantalum caps (virtual better treble but barely noticeable)
- Much faster production (I will observe the assembly of the PCBs myself)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back