Help Me Pick a High End Custom
Dec 1, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #46 of 50
Thanks.  I'm only 1/4 of the way through the Arrow thread here so far.

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #47 of 50
Well I got an email back from that David Gutierrez and he said that refits/adjustments are only $50.  He seemed nice.  Maybe they're making an effort to improve their customer service.

Looks like I may be going with the UE18 then.

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #48 of 50
I could be wrong, but I'm going to blame a lot of the customer service issues people have heard about from custom companies on unreasonable expectations.  Older guys like me have worked with carpenters for our homes, and paid out the ass for kitchen remodels.  Customs are not just pieces of plastic coming out of an automated factory like universals.  5-6 people actually have to think about every one that they make.  

There is nothing wrong with middle class people expecting to make a profit for their time.  We actually want them to make money or these great products just wouldn't exist.  It also can take time for them to do work, so they might come across as slow or non-responsive.  This isn't some huge corporation with a call center filled with 50 people picking up the phone, so people can perceive of them as slow.  

But in the end, all the people I met when I got my tour were really wonderful people, passionate about what they did and their customers.  David didn't try to get me to buy the most expensive model.  He wanted me to try them all.  It really was a pleasure doing business with them.

It sounds like you don't have false expectations as a customer.  I think you would be fine with $300 to remold.  If you think about it at $300 it's a bargain.  They make a mold, they reinstall all the the drivers, they then QA the units again.  If they do it for $50, they have to be losing money on it just to satisfy the customer.

Again, I'm not saying any of these companies are perfect, but I truly believe that $1000 customs have less profit margin than $400 universals.

There is a nice review on the UE18 on pcmag.com

Quote:
Well I got an email back from that David Gutierrez and he said that refits/adjustments are only $50.  He seemed nice.  Maybe they're making an effort to improve their customer service.

Looks like I may be going with the UE18 then.

Dec 2, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #49 of 50
I think JH16Pro/13Pro, UM Miracle, ES5 are better pick and UM, Fischer do remolding if need it later for $50 to $100 .

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #50 of 50
UM is out because I don't want to ship back and forth across the Pacific if the fit isn't perfect the first time.

Would you say either the ES5/JH13/16 have better mids than the UE18?  I'm looking for liquid smoothness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back