Help me find the right pair of headphones (~<$200)
Sep 21, 2011 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

fusedpro

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not looking to buy in the immediate future, but I doubt the market will have any new offerings in the meantime, so I'm just doing some preliminary research.

My best headphones, currently, are a pair of Grado's SR80i. They sound great, but they do hurt my ears after a while though that could change when I get around to buying some L-Cush earpads. I also own some Sennheiser HD280 Pros... don't have too much to say about them though. I do have a pair of HD580s that I have spent very little time with, but these will more than likely be sold soon to fund another hobby in the interim.

The headphones I am looking to buy will be powered by a Schiit Asgard and my computer which has an HT Omega Striker as the soundcard. My main genres of music are classical and variants of rock with some pop thrown in for variety. Outside of classical, some of my favourite artists include Jimmy Eat World, House of Heroes, The Classic Crime, The Dear Hunter, and Say Anything (if you want more examples, just ask).

I haven't heard any headphones outside of what is listed above, although I had a brief stint with some HD580s (see above) and AD700s (a friend who bought based on my recommendation). Basically, what I have to compare to is next to nothing, so I'm still not quite sure what I am looking for as I can only guess. I also have no way to try any headphones before I buy them, so keep that in mind.

That said, I think I would like something with forward mids, a nice, non-fatiguing treble with great extension, and some tight, punchy bass/midbass (I am no basshead, I just want it to be present). I'm thinking those characteristics would bring out the best in my preferred genres? Open or closed, doesn't really make a difference to me, but I'm leaning towards open.

The few models that have caught my eye --
  1. Sennheiser HD598
  2. Fostex T50RP [looks like I would have to extensively mod these which is not something I'm too terribly interested in.]
  3. Denon D2000

Not much, I know, so recommendations on the above and anything else would be greatly appreciated. If you want any more information, just let me know and I'll get you an update.

Thanks all!

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 5
Heya,

The HD580 is basically the HD600. It's perfect for your needs. You should spend more time with it. It's pretty neutral, so accurate, and has great extension and has good mids and bass while not being fatiguing with the treble. Sure, it's a 10 year old headphone, but again, it's yesteryear HD600, literally. It's a great headphone. If you're looking to sell it, give me a PM.

HD598 - Forward mids, musical, good treble, bass is punchy but doesn't reverb (some would say it's a little more lite on bass than the HD580/600).

T50RP - Huge mids, ortho mids, kind of punchy but shy on bass, treble is a little damp. Modded, it can become an insanely good headphone though if you're interested in that (research modding on this headphone if you have some basic mechnical hand skills with tools and electronics).

D2000 - Pretty much a near perfect mid-tier headphone, flat, great mids, great treble, good sound stage, and superb bass extension that is flat to the bottom but doesn't bleed into your mids/highs. Absolutely recommended.

Others to consider:

BeyerDynamic DT880 - Neutral.
Fischer Audio FA-002 - Neutral.

Very best,

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the input Mal, but I already have a buyer lined up for the HD580 so no keeps for that.

I am interested in the ortho sound, so that's why the Fostex made the list, I would rather not mod it extensively though. If there were a few small/easy mods that greatly improved it, then maybe...

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Thanks for the input Mal, but I already have a buyer lined up for the HD580 so no keeps for that.

I am interested in the ortho sound, so that's why the Fostex made the list, I would rather not mod it extensively though. If there were a few small/easy mods that greatly improved it, then maybe...

Heya,

If you're comfortable opening the cups of the T50RP, you can putty/tape over vents and you can easily just add padding to the cups to deepen them, it will change the sound significantly with minimal effort compared to doing a complete overhaul. Just do a search for T50RP and Thunderpants and you'll get a sick amount of information since it's likely the most widely modded headphone.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back