Help me find an IEM <$250
Jul 25, 2012 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ovoMIKEY

New Head-Fier
~$200 sounds even better, lol

Anyway, the two things that i am really looking for:

1. Durability
i have a closet full of broken phones / only one ear working / ripped cables / etc. The fault is entirely mine, but please, i just want something that will maybe last a few extra months this time! I actually resorted to buying Skullcandy - Full Metal Jackets out of desperation. (And those broke too, after a huge snowboarding wipeout :))

2. Sound Quality
i currently use a pair of SR-60i, really worn out AE2's, very old V-moda in-ears, now (broke yesterday), M50's. i enjoy the sound quality from all of these and i am looking to find something of equal or superior quality in an IEM. 

-

i will most likely use these whenever i am out so: for travel, walking to and from college lectures, in the gym, and so forth.

i listen to anything and everything: jazz, classical, RnB, mainstream, EdM, trance, classic rock, opera, gospel.. i don't have any particular preferences at this time, maybe clarity > bass, my ears are still ringing from EDC.

-

What i am currently considering:
1. Monster Turbines - Copper
The reviews look okay, and the metal construction is appealing. Not to mention that warranty..
2. Etymotic - hf5
It looked like a lot of people recommend these, i wouldn't mind trying them out.
3. Ultimate Ears - Triplefi 10
A lot of people on here recommended these too, are they any better than the above two?
4. Bose - IE2
Tried on my friend's, i think they are worth the price, but surely there must be something better out there.

Thanks

Jul 25, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 10
Future Sonic Atrios with SofterWear sleeves. I think the package deal is $275 but it's worth every penny. Great IEMs. With this setup you'll have the option of using custom molded sleeves, which improve the fit and bass hugely as well as foam tips or whatever, if you don't want to be sealed off from the outside world.

I've gone through the Westones, the Ultimate Ears, etc., up to triple drivers, and none of them sounded as good to me. These IEMs are far more fatigue free than the balanced armature based IEMs (which most are). I've used mine on stage and on location recording sessions for hours at a time and they leave my ears fairly unpummeled.

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the info, $275 is a bit out of my range at the moment.

i ended up impulse buying regular Monster Turbines since i think i should clean up my destructive habits before getting higher-end stuff.

Anyway, i'm off to buy a cheap fiio amp to see how far i can take my portable listening.

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
Thanks for the info, $275 is a bit out of my range at the moment.

i ended up impulse buying regular Monster Turbines since i think i should clean up my destructive habits before getting higher-end stuff.

Anyway, i'm off to buy a cheap fiio amp to see how far i can take my portable listening.

The Turbines actually have pretty poor construction, even though they're made of metal. The Ety ER-4 have been known to be nearly indestructible.

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 10
I've owned 4/5 IEM's that you've listed in your post. Currently I use the Monster Turbine Pro Copper. The cable is beefy and durable, although the durability of the housing itself really depends on how you treat them. If you had IEM's that cost that much, you'd probably want to take care of them. I've had mine for around 3 weeks, and there hasnt been a sign of wear or tear. As for the triple.fi's, they have durability issues with the stock cable it comes with. If you can upgrade the cable, go for the triple.fi's. if not, go for the MTPC. Bose ie2 is just horrid, returned it the next day.

EDIT: The Westone UM3X should be up on your list too. Tried them out today at my local headphone store, and they sound phenominal. 

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
How is the durability on the hf5's? I just ordered the hf3's are those built the same?

Same unit exactly except the volume controls and mic.

Enjoy, Jim

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 10
I agree. GR01 FTW!!
Quote:
From that list I would probably go with HF5..

But for the price, I'd go for Vsonic GR07 or GR01.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back