Help me choose :)
Sep 4, 2012 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Sheriksia

New Head-Fier
[size=10pt]Hello guys![/size]

[size=10pt]I’m new to the headphones world and i need your help! I’m a stating audiophile (sounds funny I know :D) and i have really hard times choosing myself a good pair of cans. The place where i live there is almost no good headphones, so i can’t try out anything myself and i don’t have any experience with headphones.This is why im have to order it from internet shops like amazon(and of course get it shipped but thats nothing to do with my problem). I listen to hip hop, rap, i enjoy good bass, but i think getting cans with too much bass will give me a wrong idea about the how a good pair of headphones must sound like. My price range is 250-350$ and i was mainly thinking about Beyerdynamic DT 990 but got to know that those need an amp (which im not at all planning to buy). I mainly listen to music on my iPhone 4s/iPod. Is it possible to get a decent sound quality without an amp on iphone? Sorry for this mess and thank you.[/size]

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #2 of 14
Yes, it is easy and possible to get good sound from an iphone. It depends mainly on what kind of headphones you want and for what purpose. In your original post, you don't really specify this, and you don't say why you don't want an amp either. If you gave us more info we could help you better.

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #3 of 14
Thank you very much for your post! First of all i got to know about amps really short time ago and i dont even know anything about them, also i almost always only listen to music from my iPhone/iPod. I think most of the types of headphones will be alright but i dont really like open cans (i mean the ones that just stay on your ears not cover them) but all suggestions will be considered. As i said i enjoy hip-hop music, good bass as long as it doesnt ruin the way the music gotta sound. The thing i forgot to mention is that my first pair of cans that supposed to be good were Skullcandy Sk pros (now i know it was a stupid choice). Now i really want pair of cans that would make a HUGE jump in audio quality for my budget just. Feel free to ask anything. Thank you again.

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
Thank you very much for your post! First of all i got to know about amps really short time ago and i dont even know anything about them, also i almost always only listen to music from my iPhone/iPod. I think most of the types of headphones will be alright but i dont really like open cans (i mean the ones that just stay on your ears not cover them) but all suggestions will be considered. As i said i enjoy hip-hop music, good bass as long as it doesnt ruin the way the music gotta sound. The thing i forgot to mention is that my first pair of cans that supposed to be good were Skullcandy Sk pros (now i know it was a stupid choice). Now i really want pair of cans that would make a HUGE jump in audio quality for my budget just. Feel free to ask anything. Thank you again.

Hi Sheriksia,

Where are you planning on using the headphones, do they have to be super portable or is it primarily for home use? Since you're using your iPhone and don't want an amp, I'm guessing you want to have something portable without having to lug equipment around, but it never hurts to check. How concerned are you with style? Are you only looking for headphones, or would you consider IEMs?

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #5 of 14
Thank you for your post.
As i said im not quite experienced with good sound quality and headphones themselves. Yes i would really love something portable but anything that matches good with an iPhone is alright (i mean size and stuff like that are not problem for me). It is actually funny but i want some kind of professional studio cans but still be carrying them around with my iPhone. I want want IEMs much cause Im looking for over the head headphones (whatever you call them). I really dont want some kind of Special-for-iphone portable headphones or stuff like that, looking for some really professional pair of cans - the real headphnoes not some kind of a toy of i know what im saying. Thank you.

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #6 of 14
Without an amp and with my limited experience, I'd recommend the following

If style is your thing:
Bower & Wilkins P5 - Fun, I enjoyed hip hop out of them. Colored sound to my ears, but not necessarily a bad thing.
V-Moda M80/100 - 80 was a pleasure, gorgeous design and fairly well rounded. Uncomfortable to my ears though.

Both are on-ear as opposed to over-ear, which might or might not be a dealbreaker for you.

For a guilty pleasure:
Sony MDR-XB Line (500, 700) - Not accurate in the least, but they're very comfortable and the bass is just a blast to listen to. I bought my brother a pair for his b-day and find myself sneaking a listen or two on some bass heavy tracks when I go visit him every now and again. The earpads can get quite hot outside.

For overall usage:
ATH-M50 - Just the universal recommendation, and my first "major" foray into headphones. They're great for their value, and are a fair all-rounder.
Shure SRH840 - I really liked the sound out of these. Collapsible + cable detachable which is a big plus for portability. Smooth with great mids, I enjoy females vocals a lot out of these. Unfortunately I didn't find them very comfortable as the clamping force was too much for me, but then again my head is huge. YMMV.   

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
[size=10pt]Hello guys![/size]

[size=10pt]I’m new to the headphones world and i need your help! I’m a stating audiophile (sounds funny I know :D) and i have really hard times choosing myself a good pair of cans. The place where i live there is almost no good headphones, so i can’t try out anything myself and i don’t have any experience with headphones.This is why im have to order it from internet shops like amazon(and of course get it shipped but thats nothing to do with my problem). I listen to hip hop, rap, i enjoy good bass, but i think getting cans with too much bass will give me a wrong idea about the how a good pair of headphones must sound like. My price range is 250-350$ and i was mainly thinking about Beyerdynamic DT 990 but got to know that those need an amp (which im not at all planning to buy). I mainly listen to music on my iPhone 4s/iPod. Is it possible to get a decent sound quality without an amp on iphone? Sorry for this mess and thank you.[/size]

Heya,

Look into:

Denon D2000
Ultrasone PRO 750
Ultrasone HFI 580
Beyer DT770
Shure SRH750 DJ
AudioTechnica A900X

Very best,

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #9 of 14
uhmmm.. looked at all recommendations and the only pair of cans i currently consider are Denon D2000 and Ultrasone PRO 750 although i would really love more opinions

EDIT:
Denon D2000 seems to be pretty decent, can somebody tell me more about those cans please? and also will it be possible to do things like jogging using them? they seem to be heavy for this kind of things, just asking.

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #10 of 14
The D2000s are fantastic for many things, but I wouldn't say jogging was one of them
smile.gif
  They're not really designed as a portable headphone: they are indeed quite large/heavy, the cable is long, bulky and inflexible and they don't clamp all that tightly to your head.

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #13 of 14
Again, I always vote for the v-moda line. They have great headphones that aren't super overpriced for what they're worth. They have amazing sound and great build quality, and the m-100's are right in your price range. But the audio technica's are great cans, and so are the shures. But be careful with ultrasone, they can get really overpriced super fast. In that range, I'd go with the v-modas. but the beyerdynamics are good, just not for me (personally).

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #14 of 14
I think some of you may have had VERY different experiences than I did with the Pro 750.  I found they needed a good amp, and were much too harsh and tinny.

Do you have a good audio store near you where you can go and try out a few pairs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back