Help Headphones ideas to compliment my new turntable!
Aug 21, 2012 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bufo333

New Head-Fier
I have had a pair of Grado sr-225's for about 7 years now. I recently purchased a music hall mmf2.2 turntable and I am waiting to receive it. I really want to get a set of headphones that take advantage of this much improved source. However I am completely unable to make a decision with all of the options out there.

I recently purchased a pair of audio technica ath-m50's which I absolutely hated. The minute I put them on it feels like my ears are under water and I get a headache within minutes. I also felt that the mids were muddy and lacked detail in the highs. However they are slowly growing on me, I am not sure if this is because of burn in, but they seem to get better the more I listen to them.

I was thinking of the following as options:

1. Grado rs1i
2. Grado ps-500
3. he-400
4. he-500
5. beyerdynamic T 90
6. beyerdynamic T 70

I am leaning toward the he-400 / he-500 however I really do not want to spend more than around $500 if I can help it. Can I get a night/day improvement over the Grado sr-225's for around $500?

I have a Schiit Asgard amp to drive whatever headphone I purchase.
As far as music That I listen to, I currently have the following Vinyl Records:

Jacques Loussier: Play Bach [Vinyl]
Try! John Mayer Trio Live in Concert [Vinyl]
Adele 21 (Vinyl)
Florence & The Machine Lungs [Vinyl]
Metallica [Deluxe 4 LP Vinyl]
Ensiferum Victory Songs [Vinyl]
Ensiferum from Afar [Vinyl]
Nirvana Mtv Live Unplugged (180 Gram Vinyl)
TALK TALK - LAUGHING STOCK (LP)-TALK
CASSANDRA WILSON - BLUE LIGHT 'TIL DAWN (180G IMPORT 2LP)
JOHN COLTRANE - BALLADS (NUMBERED LIMITED EDITION 180g 45RPM OF ONLY 1000 COPIES)
MILES DAVIS - KIND OF BLUE (180G LP)

So my music genres span the spectrum,

What I really want is a lively detailed headphone that sounds as if you are sitting at the live event. I want to be able to resolve fine details, but it still must be a musical headphone, I don't want it to be overly analytical, to the point of killing the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back