HELP: Headphone / Amp hum problem
Apr 7, 2011 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kouzelna

500+ Head-Fier

Hey all, I just got a new Beyerdynamic DT-880, the 600-ohm version, and I'm having a slight hum on my Glow Audio Amp One tube amp.  The hum is small, but noticeable, and stays the same no matter the volume of the Glow.  I figured the Beyers would be perfect, as the Glow is made for 300-900 ohms (if I remember correctly).

As you recall, I had a nasty hum with my AKG K701 (65-ohm), and moving the Glow to another outlet lessened it.  Then, I got a 235 resistance cable for the AKG, from a great guy here who made it for me, and the hum disappeared completely.

I have tried the Beyer alone, and with the 235 resistance cable, and the hum stays the same.  This sucks. 

Any ideas?

P.S.  I use the 235 cable, plus the factory 75-ohm cable, for my Etymotic ER-4 on the Glow, and it's awesome!  The cables definitely make a difference in improving the sound, and the sound of those IEMs have never been better than on the Glow!  (And no hum).  The ER-4 is normally only 25-ohm without the cables (ER-4P).  But even without... there is no hum, as I recall. 

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 5
Did You try moving the amp to another location, maybe Your getting interference from another electrical source close by. Or maybe You could try a tube upgrade, that might help. I know somebody else will check this thread and have another answer for You beside's this.

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 5
Good ideas, but if it's an electrical source or tube problem, than why didn't I have it with my AKGs or my ER-4s?  I think it's got to be something to do with the mating of the amp and cans.

Hopefully someone knows.  Doesn't Skylab have intimate knowledge of tube amps?  Can someone PM him about this?  I don't know the first darn thing about mating amps with cans, at all.  I just barely used how to spell impedence.  Impedince.  Uh, impedance.  
blink.gif

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #5 of 5
I'd try contacting SkyLab, KwKarth or Uncle Erik and one of them should be able to help You with this. It just might be the tube, but anything is possible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back