Help first amp decision LYR, Asgard, Matrix M Stage, or HeadDirect EF5 with D5000.
Apr 9, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #46 of 48
I tend to clash a lot with Graphicism on certain things, but he's right about the Denons not needing much. Pairing up my well burned in D7000 with my Lyr (stock tubes at over 80 hours), they didn't sound much better than running it straight out of my Fuze. Found them to sound best off my E9. I think Denons like SS amps over tubes as the Denons are already warm enough. The slight amount of warmth somewhat made it lag behind the more neutral toned E9, though the Lyr makes the Denons sound just a teeny bit fuller and more organic, though a little polite vs the aggressive sound of the E9 (three diff sources, same results).

Though if you're gonna own multiple headphones of varying sensitivities and impedances, the Lyr is a steal, and I have no doubt will perform well with most types. Better tubes will probably yield better results, but I'm focusing on stock tubes for now.

All in all, I just think that the Denons just slightly prefer SS amps.

Going back to amping the Denons, the areas that improved was bass control (less flab), sibilance is subdued, and the sound is meatier. Its subtle, but its there. That being said, I wouldn't be displeased using the D7K unamped.

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #48 of 48
I actually found a meet about 5 hours away and hope that I can get there this weekend. I have to say my Denons are getting pretty sweet. I hooked them up straight to my ipod and I almost fell over they sounded so good with no amp. Could any one give me a clue what kind of portable amp will make the ipod Denon combo shine? What forum would be best to try and find the best HP's to go with LYR or should I just start with the DT880's? It may be easier to please my ears than I first thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back