Help first amp decision LYR, Asgard, Matrix M Stage, or HeadDirect EF5 with D5000.
Apr 6, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #31 of 48
Quote:
While I'm not going to argue that you have use expensive amps to power the Denons, I will say they need the right amp as some amps can make them sound "muffled".

I'm sure it all comes down to listening preference and the Denons didn't do it for me.

As far as equipment I tried the D2000s with both a solid state Meier Audio Corda Headfive and a much more expensive Singlepower PPX3 SLAM and neither gave much benefit over my cheap $20 sound card. In comparison I owned the Sennheiser HD580 and Sony SA3000 at the same time and could hear a clear, note-worthy definition between amps.

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #32 of 48

Quote:
As far as equipment I tried the D2000s with both a solid state Meier Audio Corda Headfive and a much more expensive Singlepower PPX3 SLAM and neither gave much benefit over my cheap $20 sound card.

wow

are you sure that sound card was as cheap as you said it was?

in my experience:

udac = fail
macbook headphone out = fail
computer speakers headphone out = fail
receiver = fail
ipod and iphone = fail
Fubar III = fail
Nuforce Icon Mobile = win
Keces 151/LDI+ = winning, duh

Those other sources and amps just didn't cut it.  There's a night and day difference with those last two I listed.  Like I said, it doesn't need a Singlepower or Meier Corda, just a good amp.  Besides, aren't all Singlepower amps, tube amps? (maybe I read what you wrote wrong)

edit: did you ever use the J$ pads with them?  I'm not sure that it'll make the biggest difference, but that's how I've been running them this entire time.

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #33 of 48
I have t agree with Graph, some cans just dose not have that scale like HD650 not sure about other Sennheiser though. And Rocker the other source you mention are jokes. they are not considered source in head-fi community lol. not for the big toys.

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wow

are you sure that sound card was as cheap as you said it was?

Yes the AV710 was $23 back when they were sold, it was liked for it's bit-perfect optical output. You mentioned Nuforce Icon Mobile which I found subpar to the soundcard, I bought it as a cheap solution for a friend and returned it. The Zero DAC/amp I suggested to the OP is better still, with upgraded opamps it punches well above it's price point. In fact if you match opamps with pricier DAC/amps such as the Yulong D100 I bet they will sound identical.

Yes the Singlepower is a tube amp. Never used J$ pads or modded them.

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #35 of 48

Quote:
I have t agree with Graph, some cans just dose not have that scale like HD650 not sure about other Sennheiser though. And Rocker the other source you mention are jokes. they are not considered source in head-fi community lol. Ipod headphone out... are you kidding me.

My point was that it can't be driven by just anything (leading to my skepticism with the aforementioned 20 dollar sound card.)  I only tried them to test the "theory" that everyone throws around here.  I'm not going to argue that a cheap amp can power them, I'm just going to argue that they can't be driven by anything.

Your lack of basic comprehension skills has led me to believe that you sir are the joke.

good day!

(just kidding about that last one, but seriously, my credibility is on the line ... and yes, some people here have tried convincing others that you can drive the D2000s from an iPod.)

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #36 of 48
it was my bad, I apologize, shouldn't say that. it's just for the reference cans you would need proper set up. but ipod, Low impendance dose not mean universally drivable, Yes it will make sound, but won't be much more than that. I use to plug my W5000 into my Itouch, all can say is ehhhh.....

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #37 of 48

Quote:

Yes the AV710 was $23 back when they were sold, it was liked for it's bit-perfect optical output. You mentioned Nuforce Icon Mobile which I found subpar to the soundcard, I bought it as a cheap solution for a friend and returned it. The Zero DAC/amp I suggested to the OP is better still, with upgraded opamps it punches well above it's price point. In fact if you match opamps with pricier DAC/amps such as the Yulong D100 I bet they will sound identical.

The Nuforce Icon Mobile was recommended to me for the D2000s because other people here had luck with that combo and they work fine.  

I'm all for inexpensive amping, but like I said, they're picky headphones.  I'll take the pepsi challenge test with my current combo over the cheaper stuff any day of the week.  It sounds better with a good DAC/amp.

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #38 of 48
My Denons dont sound muffled they sound strong in the bass. I think before I make the decision I am plugging them into my DVD player HP jack. Out of my Denon DVD-1600 HP jack sounded not as lively but strong tighter bass so there is hope. I think I need to make a decision because I am not getting what should be coming out of these phones. I think they will turn completely aroud if the right amp and maybe dac are put to them. The difference in DVD player is the mids are there and way too strong over powering almost everything. So I need an amp that brings tightness to the bass a little recess to the mids and make the highs shine. These seem to have some of what I want if powered right. suggestions maybe the ones I mentioned bad or good LYR Asgard Matrix M Stage or EF5. to power these properly the two schiits have the voltage I do not know about matrix M stage and EF5. LYR is where I am pointed but other thoughts on these other three would be good. Valhalla can't do it. Picking the sound will be the most critical. I need to get something going to get my feet wet. If they are not good for the phones let me know if one is too bright let me know if one is too boomy let me know. These were in my range that sounded maybe like what I like.

If anyone knows these amps I am all ears if not I am guessing and getting LYR. Then a DAC. Then some SS later and finally a goood Tube. I did not mean to start any problems.

Graphicism is that ZERO able to run 600ohm and 25ohm HP's? It keeps looking better and better for the second setup. But I am not sure if Denons or Beyer or Sennheiser would be used with it. What opamps would be good to have OPA2604 OPA627 or something else?

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #39 of 48

Quote:
My Denons dont sound muffled they sound strong in the bass. I think before I make the decision I am plugging them into my DVD player HP jack. Out of my Denon DVD-1600 HP jack sounded not as lively but strong tighter bass so there is hope. I think I need to make a decision because I am not getting what should be coming out of these phones. I think they will turn completely aroud if the right amp and maybe dac are put to them. The difference in DVD player is the mids are there and way too strong over powering almost everything. So I need an amp that brings tightness to the bass a little recess to the mids and make the highs shine. These seem to have some of what I want if powered right. suggestions maybe the ones I mentioned bad or good LYR Asgard Matrix M Stage or EF5. to power these properly the two schiits have the voltage I do not know about matrix M stage and EF5. LYR is where I am pointed but other thoughts on these other three would be good. Valhalla can't do it. Picking the sound will be the most critical. I need to get something going to get my feet wet. If they are not good for the phones let me know if one is too bright let me know if one is too boomy let me know. These were in my range that sounded maybe like what I like.

If anyone knows these amps I am all ears if not I am guessing and getting LYR. Then a DAC. Then some SS later and finally a goood Tube. I did not mean to start any problems.

I think any of the amps you listed will sound great with your headphones.  You're going to get the nice textured, heart-pounding bass while also those crystal clear highs that make these headphones the right ones to sing to your ears.

I don't think you could go wrong with any those listed.  It's only like 4 of us in this thread and I think you get any one of those.  You'll be plenty happy.  Don't spend too much time deciding.  you'll drive yourself crazy.  Just pick one you think looks goods or perhaps pay attention to the people that liked who used the same headphone as you.  You don't have to have the best, but there's no doubt in my mind the any of those will do the trick.  Just buy that fits your needs:  price, space, sound, and ... sometimes ... the look.  Get a decent DAC (Love my Keces) secondhand and you're all set to go.

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #40 of 48
The DAC and getting one is a problem I will deal with in a few days or weeks. I am eyeballing a few but I need to see what sends the best to the LYR. I am going to get two more amps so maybe I can get something else later I like differently. I want a good tube and SS. But this LYR I think has my number for now. I am tired of trying to decide and I want to support America this time. I believe we need jobs here. They are very kind and friendly also. That says a lot!!!! Guess I will have to order and see how far behind they are. I wonder if the ZERO would be a good DAC for the LYR for now? Or do I get ready for another tuff decision?

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #41 of 48
I think the pisco DAC and V-dac are very popular choice, and you won't believe the SQ it offers compare to its price. Although In my opinion Souce should be the first thing to upgrade. There is no magic in audio equipment, so, neither your amp nor you cans could make crappy source sound better without dumb coloration lol. Pisco and V-dac are $300 brand new. So a used one would be probably $100 to $200. And My friend used to tell me that the pisco he owned sound %80 close to his PS link III Lv4 moded.

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #42 of 48
That is something I am going to need to deal with. I have to use the pc for two of these but what is a good source to play DVD-A SACD there are not but a few that I can even get same for DTS-audio. But I will need a good reasonable DVD player.What does a DAC need to decode all these sources is that even possible? Soemone told me in another thread that SACD would be difficult to get a DAC for so am I better off getting an OPPO of some type? It will have to be my second part of this venture but if I know what to look for now I can keep my eye out. I still need a good RCA line in  or a coax input amp that can work for low ohm or high ohm HP's. Sometimes I will need to switch HP's back and forth. All the stand alone stuff later with source DAC more expensive gear will be on hold for a bit until these two computers get done. What can drive both a DT880 and D5000 correctly in a smaller less expensive Coax or RCA input? Can the ZERO can the Matrix M Stage Can the EF5 I am not sure what else to put down here but please no USB only. My USB with other parts is touch and go I do not mind if they can do that also but I have to have another input just in case.

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #43 of 48

Quote:
I think the pisco DAC and V-dac are very popular choice, and you won't believe the SQ it offers compare to its price. Although In my opinion Souce should be the first thing to upgrade. There is no magic in audio equipment, so, neither your amp nor you cans could make crappy source sound better without dumb coloration lol. Pisco and V-dac are $300 brand new. So a used one would be probably $100 to $200. And My friend used to tell me that the pisco he owned sound %80 close to his PS link III Lv4 moded.

Don't you mean Pico?

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #44 of 48
OP, if you don't need to get the DAC/amp combo this minute, I think you'd be better off waiting until you can got to a meet to hear different possibilities. It's hard to know what you want until you've had a chance to listen to a few different things and develop your sense of what you like and what you don't.  People here on head-fi are a wonderful fount of information and go beyond the call fo duty when it comes to making good recommendations, but it's your own ear and your own taste that you've got to cultivate.

</soapbox>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back