Help Deciding between full RWA iMod portable rig and HiFiMan HM-801, what is the ultimate rig basically?
Aug 9, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #31 of 43
Well guys I own all of these top'tier PMPs and this new WhipMOD is very intriguing.  Sold my iMod to my bro as soon as I got wind of it.... still have my HiFiMan but I never use it: too bulky, UI sucks, and I hate SD cards, then there's the S:Flo2: TERRIBLE UI, bad touchscreen, very vulnerable to damage, buzzing noise when the screen is activated....I can tell why it's so inexpensive.  I can only guess on the quality behind the WhipMOD but I ordered one already along with the Referance so I will keep you all posted but I was drooling over my past PMPs until this thing came around....

Aug 9, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #32 of 43
I'm very excited about the WhipMod and it seems as if we have a new portable reference option for 16/44 music source.  But as far as 24/96 is concerned, the HM-801 and the new HM-602 are still the only game in town.

Aug 9, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #33 of 43
I still think the WhipMOD sounds better than the 801 and the size, ui, bulkiness of the 801 just aren't appealing to me.  I would much rather have up to 240G in my hand in portable form and not have to use a fanny-pack to carry my 801 if I decide to use my Protector, which I always do.....

Just too bulky for me, look out for the WhipMOD....it's something that shouldn't be overlooked!

Aug 9, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #35 of 43
Aug 9, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #37 of 43
It just comes down to what's more important if it's sound quality the 801 wins every time.

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #38 of 43
I know you would have to wait, but if you want the ultimate portable rig, why not go for the JH-3A. Then just feed the JH-3A a digital signal. You would have a couple choices for a DAP: iPod plus AlgoRhythm Solo, iRiver H1x0 series, QA-350/550, etc.

That would probably be the best portable rig.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the WhipMod does NOT upgrade the internal DAC in the iPod. Is the only difference between the WhipMod and the iMod the wire they use? Regardless, the DAC would still be the bottleneck in the system, right?

Aug 9, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #39 of 43
My point exactly the dac in the imod is not in the same league as the 801 and I wonder if the dac in the solo is any closer?

Aug 10, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #40 of 43

Quote:
My point exactly the dac in the imod is not in the same league as the 801 and I wonder if the dac in the solo is any closer?

The DAC in the Solo is supposedly a much better DAC than the one on the HM-801. And yet, the size of that type of rig is much bigger than an HM-801 + Amp. Imagine carrying around an iMod, V-Cap Dock, AlgoRhythm Solo, and an amp. That is huge.

By they way, I think most of the people that are buying the AlgoRhythm Solo are going to use is solely for its digital out. I don't think many will use the DAC function that much. But that's just my point of view.

Aug 10, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #41 of 43
I listened to the AlgoRythm at CanJam and wasn't really impressed....I mean stacked on top of an iMod, VCap Dock it could've been impressive but I think it's major appeal is in converting newer, like iPhone 4, PMPs into its original sound.  I couldn't imagine adding that to a capped dock modded ipod and amp!

I am all about portability with great storage....any 240G iPod that's modded with a good LOD n Amp sounds just as good as the H-801 with similar rig.....The 801 may sound what 2-5% better at best?  Actually, I didn't think it sounded that amazing for all the hype. Then size of it and lack of size in the library is what really makes me not like this option.  Plus, it has what...5-6 hours of playtime?!

iPods have ~15 hours, if I lose this minimal amount of sound quality....I actually don't notice it and think WhipMOD/TWagReferance/Protector is the way to go.....then I will always opt an option with a modified iPod and good amp. 

JH-3A is Sick but limited....I have a lot more than my JH-16's I want to listen to along with many different cables....It would be a hefty investment to reterminate all my cables

Aug 10, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #42 of 43
Sorry, I am totally wrong. From what I have now read, you can't use the AlgoRhythm Solo with any iPod older than 6th Generation. So no iMods or Rockboxed iPods.

Aug 10, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #43 of 43

Quote:
I still think the WhipMOD sounds better than the 801 and the size, ui, bulkiness of the 801 just aren't appealing to me.  I would much rather have up to 240G in my hand in portable form and not have to use a fanny-pack to carry my 801 if I decide to use my Protector, which I always do.....

Just too bulky for me, look out for the WhipMOD....it's something that shouldn't be overlooked!

I haven't heard the WhipMod yet--shame on you, Craig (kidding)--so I'll reserve my judgment.  Redbook limitations aside, the iMod/Protector combo is an excellent choice with great soundstage to boot, but sandwiched together in protective casing you hardly save any bulk, especially with a TWag LOD sticking out.  A slim iMod+Pico Slim combo, however, is considerably more portable than the HM-801.  UI, battery life, storage capacity are additional advantages vs. the HiFiMAN.

It all comes down to personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back