Help choosing headphones
Apr 24, 2011 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

GL1TCH3D

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking for good portable over-ear, closed-back headphones with good soundstage. I've heard a lot of good things about the Audio-Technica ATH-A900 but it's hard to get them here in Canada =/
So before I shell out a ton on shipping (a ton for me) what other cans would people here suggest? Preferably under 250$ (new or used)
Size isn't an important factor for me, more the noise-isolation for public places.
I have a FiiO E5 Headphone amp if that changes anything =S

Apr 24, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 10
the a900 is huge...its not even remotely portable.  If you need the smallest cans that retain huge sound, that would be the Beyer DT770 and the Denon D2000

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 10
I currently have a pair of Sony MDR-XB500s that I find are just the right size for my travelling. (Not sure how big the A900s are...)
A quick search for the 2 you suggested says they're good, though the denon's are out of my price range...

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 10
Cals (Creative Aurvana Live) are nice sounding headphones that are not too big, and a lot less then Audio Technica ATH-A900s. Also the SuperLux brand seems to offer good bang for the buck.

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
The Creative Aurvana Live look okay from searches though I would probably take he Denon AH-D2000 if I can find a cheap pair somewhere.

I don't regard my D2000's as portable at all. They're big and isolate badly for a closed headphone, leaking lots of sound too. I'd never travel with them.

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 10
=/ Can this be confirmed else-where?
Also, it's not so much for size, rather noise-isolation and music player friendly when I mean something portable (probably should have put that in the first post).

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
=/ Can this be confirmed else-where?
Also, it's not so much for size, rather noise-isolation and music player friendly when I mean something portable (probably should have put that in the first post).

Just look at any review on them here on head-fi, I'm pretty sure they mention it. The D2000 can be driven from a PMP, but they would certainly benefit from an amp. The noise isolation can be a problem, especially if you're concerned about leakage...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back