Help choosing closed cans for an electronica fan!
Jul 10, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #16 of 42
S-Logic works VERY well for me with the PRO series. With the HFI series, the S-Logic effect is not so apparent.  I have not heard the models you stated. But I can vouch that PRO 550, PRO 750, and HFI 580 are very good headphones for bassheads. The PRO 550 being the best for electronica (to me.)

Jul 10, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #17 of 42
+1 for ultrasone . I am getting a Hfi 780 soon ,I need a headphone to be bassy yet all rounder , so Hfi 780  suits me better =) ... Hfi 580 is bassy but narrower soundstage compare to Hfi 780 .. because Hfi 780 bass response is faster , Hfi 580 is slower . That's why 580 sounds bassier .But I have to say , these 2 cans are better than others closed cans in term of bass and soundstage . M50s is not bad either , but it is kinda flat compare to these 2 fun cans IMO. Well , everyone preference is different , so you better try them out :wink:

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #19 of 42
S-Logic in the HFI780 sucked. Well, just for me. I really didn't like those headphones at all 
redface.gif

Jul 10, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #20 of 42
Yeah my first choice would be Sones (imo they were built for trance) but the others should do pretty well. If you have a Guitar center close by you may want to try them out. When I was there I know they had a pair of M50s and some lower end Ultrasones (450 I think, though the price wasn't too great on them) so that may be a good start. That way it'll let you know if S logic will work for you or not. I'd hate for you to buy something and end up disliking it.

Jul 10, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #22 of 42
If you are in for detail and less bass some of the Sennheisers are good options. Soaa liked his HD428 for Trance but it is a preference.

Jul 10, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #23 of 42
At the moment, it seems I should try for a lower-end Ultrasone or an M50. Turns out there's a Guitar Center (didn't think of going there, thanks for suggesting that, NapalmK!) not far at all from my place, so I'll head down today or tomorrow and test out as many of these 'phones as I can. wind016 mentioned that the S-Logic isn't very apparent in the lower-end Ultrasone models, but at least I'll get an idea of what it sounds like compared to a non-S-Logic set. Also, if it's there I'll def test out the Senn HD428 as well.

I'll also keep that eBay user in mind, 11amaberry. It does seem like a decent price for the M50, and paying sliiightly extra for the assurance that I'm not getting gypped is .. probably worth it :wink:

Jul 10, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #24 of 42
TranceFan,
If you are a basshead, here's your following options:
You buy the HFI 580, you'll get bass-gasm
You buy PRO 550, you'll Trance-gasm

Or get the PRO 900 on Ebay. Make an offer to one of the sellers. I got mine for $350, but I probably should have started lower. Still a great deal.

Quote:
S-Logic in the HFI780 sucked. Well, just for me. I really didn't like those headphones at all 
redface.gif

Actually, I never understood the hype over the HFI 780.

Jul 10, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #25 of 42

Quote:
TranceFan,

Or get the PRO 900 on Ebay. Make an offer to one of the sellers. I got mine for $350, but I probably should have started lower. Still a great deal.

A lot of people seem to like the HFI-780 for electronica music. Though I should ask, how much difference does S-Logic technology make with trance music? I'd imagine it'd be great for something like orchestral or concert music.

Jul 10, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #26 of 42

Quote:
TranceFan,

wind016, I'm definitely more of a "trancehead" than a "basshead," as I don't listen to as much drum and bass, but more of the progressive and melodic trance. I've seen some nice deals for the 550 online (low $100s) - you really seem to be touting the pro550, so I'll seriously keep that high on my list. Is there a big difference between the 650 and 550?

I'm hoping that when you all say that Ultrasone is perfect for electronica/trance, you mean that there's a decent balance of sound as opposed to having too much bass and treble. Naturally I want some solid highs and lows, but I won't enjoy the music unless I can hear the melodic mids in the music. Am I making a correct assumption?

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #27 of 42
Alright, just need to verify a few things with you experts before making a final decision!

I really should have mentioned this before - I have an ASUS laptop which I'll be using for my headphones. I have a Realtek High Definition Audio soundcard, and I'm not going to be purchasing an amp.

That said, I'll also be using my headphones for some multimedia (shows/movies) and a bit of gaming here and there, though I do listen to music the majority of the time. As such, should I aim for a more rounded set of 'phones (like the M50s or CAL!) as opposed to the Ultrasone PRO-550s? It seems the former option wouldn't give as fantastic a response for trance music, but may perhaps be an overall better fit?

Sorry for all the changes in mindset, but I want a first real pair of headphones that's economic and best suited for all my needs :) As always, thanks for all of your advice!

Jul 12, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #28 of 42
Studio headphones like M50s are one trick ponies in my opinion but there would probably be many dissenters. Only good if you are trying to balance and listen to tracks. I receive no enjoyment from such headphones compared to heavily colored headphones. But I have a pair of Sony CD900STs that were remnant of my music recording times. I never use them recreationally. The last time I used them was for monitoring an event in a university.

Jul 12, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #29 of 42
Dude, compared to what your using now and the fact your not buying an amp, the m50/similar cans would more than likely be a revelation to you. Just because there are better headphones out there doesn't mean the m50/etc are "meh, just ok". IMO, find your price limit and stick to that because there are awesome headphones at pretty much any price point. I use a $50 pair of black porta pros now, and they are epic. So I would just find a reasonable price limit an see what options you have. :D <-- Be happy!

Jul 12, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #30 of 42

Quote:
Dude, compared to what your using now and the fact your not buying an amp, the m50/similar cans would more than likely be a revelation to you. Just because there are better headphones out there doesn't mean the m50/etc are "meh, just ok". IMO, find your price limit and stick to that because there are awesome headphones at pretty much any price point. I use a $50 pair of black porta pros now, and they are epic. So I would just find a reasonable price limit an see what options you have. :D <-- Be happy!

Ultrasones would blow your socks off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back