Help: Buying Music Headphones In 90$ - 100$
Sep 27, 2011 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

NoamIsachar

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I need new full size headphones and my budget is 90$ to 100$.
The options i thought about is: Shure SRH440
                                             Sennheiser HD515
                                             Grado SR80i

What do you recommend ? (I added a poll about that options but you are welcome to offer other headphones in that budget).

My uses of the headphones is 100% music (no electronic music).

Thank you,
Noam

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
you mean that type of Grado SR60i ? http://www.headphone.com/headphones/grado-sr-60i.php

Heya,

Yeap. The SR60i with Lcush pads (not the stock pads). I would get that for the same cost as the SR80i with it's stock pads. I compared the SR60i with the higher prestige SR325i and found the differences to be not worth the increased cost. The base Grado is actually incredibly good compared to the rest of the prestige series. I wouldn't bother getting anything higher than that for the cost. Simply get some L cush pads and you're good to go. If you want a higher Grado, I'd leave the prestige series all together. That's just my experience. Some people swear by the 225 and 325, but honestly, the difference between them and the SR60 was completely miniscule. To contrast, changing the ear pads was a huge difference in sound, as in a truly appreciable difference that made me "O.O" with my eyes. I consider the SR60i with Lcush to be one of the best $100 entries into hifi.

Very best,

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #6 of 12
The HTF-600s are really ugly, imo, but apparently they sound great. The Grados are not very comfortable , especially for those who wear glasses but they're good for alternative rock, indie rock and Roadrunner Records stuff. If you're a patient person, wait for bhphoto to stock up on Fostex T50RP, buy one and mod them. Otherwise, get the Alessandro MS1 and HD414 pads. The L cush pads on Grado SR225 (iirc) are a little uncomfortable.  :)

I've got a SR60. Love them. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
So the Grado SR80i is better than the Shure SRH440 ?

Real vague question you're asking there. Better in what way?
The Grados have a unique house sound that is great for rock (srsly, they're great for my fav band, The Killers).
But the Shures are collapsible, have got detachable cables, and are circumaural. Grados don't have all that.

But they sound great.

SR60 fanboy > koolkat < SR60 fanboy 
atsmile.gif

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 12
I wear glasses :D

I'm sorry, but in my country i only have the Shure SRH440, Sennheiser HD515 and Grado SR80i.
From what you guys said, the sennheiser is the worst from those 3, so i guess Grado and Shure are my options.
I need a comfortable and quiet headphones that others will not here what i hear.

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I wear glasses :D

I'm sorry, but in my country i only have the Shure SRH440, Sennheiser HD515 and Grado SR80i.
From what you guys said, the sennheiser is the worst from those 3, so i guess Grado and Shure are my options.
I need a comfortable and quiet headphones that others will not here what i hear.

Sennheiser's cheaper headphones are usually made of worse materials. Like for example the HD448s look a little like the HD600 but the
build quality of the HD448 is pretty horrible for a $100 headphone. Sound quality wise I'm pretty happy with my HD438 (low end Senns can).
I removed the chrome rims and now they look a little more like the HD600, lol XD.

Idno about the HD515, but the HD555 are pretty good. You can do a really simple mod to make them sound like the HD595.

Btw, the SR80i leaks a lot at high volume. I wouldn't recommend using them in quiet public places. The super thick cables also make
it really hard to carry around in the public. You might also need to take some time to adjust to the SR80's harsh highs. They can be really
piercing at times ._. not a dealbreaker though. They're great for rock. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
I would personally suggest Audio Technica ATH-AD700 headphones. I really like these for listening to all kinds of music. Crisp and clear sound with good bass and they are really comfortable to wear. 

And you should really just try the Fishcer Audio FA-011 instead for that cost, and get a real headphone that is capable of everything and not just an anemic bloated sound stage.
tongue_smile.gif

Very best,

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #11 of 12
I haven't heard how the HD 515 sounds compared to the HD 555, but the HD 555 is pretty good. Depends how you like your music though. It's a bit grainy and warm.

Sep 27, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
And you should really just try the Fishcer Audio FA-011 instead for that cost, and get a real headphone that is capable of everything and not just an anemic bloated sound stage.
tongue_smile.gif

Very best,

You gonna take that bman? huh? 

Edit: Holy poop. I've reached 1000 posts in roughly 4 months? I gotta stop spamming lol ._.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back