Help a teenager avoid buying Dr. Dre Beats
Dec 13, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #76 of 111

Quote:
I like the giftcard idea. That way you don't feel bad about buying Beats and she's still happy. Plus you don't have to worry about getting the "wrong color" or whatever

Ya, except BestBuy is probably the most expensive place for buying mainstream electronics. Better to try to find a deal online. Also giving her a BestBuy certificate won't encourage her to "think out side the box" about headphones.

Quote:
Not all girls are like that. I know people who want the beats because they actually just don't know what else there is. They're completely open to other options once they know that such exist. And 16 isn't so irrational an age, teens at 16 certainly aren't as bad as, say, a 14-year-old, when it comes to being open-minded.

I think this depends a lot on personality. Personally i had some Skullcandy iems in highschool, but this wan't because I was trying to fit in; they were inexpensive and sounded pretty good compared to stock iBuds. Obviously, I've progressed overtime.

Dec 13, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #77 of 111

Quote:
Not all girls are like that. I know people who want the beats because they actually just don't know what else there is. They're completely open to other options once they know that such exist. And 16 isn't so irrational an age, teens at 16 certainly aren't as bad as, say, a 14-year-old, when it comes to being open-minded.

This.

Dec 26, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #78 of 111
Just explain to her the difference in quality and maybe show her some pics of different HP's. Like many others have said, if she is absolutely set on Beats, that's the obvious choice.

Dec 26, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #79 of 111

Quote:

Although I may be a 15-year old guy I went through the phase of cool headphones, But the reason I got them was because I was tired of my ibuds or $10 replacements that broke in about 3 months. Then I got skullcandy hesh headphones and those lasted about 4 months at home and 1 month in my backpack. Eventually people like me or other teens realise that popular headphones aren't always the best choice when they still break... So I got some hd 438s from headroom half because I thought they were cool and the other half was my research about them. Know I have my hd 438s and some beyer dt 440s for open headphones. The above post is right in the fact that us teens are open to other options. The only problem is that all we know are skullcandy,beats and ibud style things. The thing is that nobody shows us whats actually good so that either seperates us from getting whats popular or doing research.

Dec 26, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #81 of 111
Ask him/her (I think her right?) to go here and research for themselves? That's how I did it... around a month ago. I was going for skullcrushers, after living off random $20 earbuds, and decided to do a little research, found out how they were, and switched around a bit, and ended going for sennheiser px 200IIs. And I'm 14... iono, if you tell them to do research...  then again, I personally read through 100s of reviews before buying anything over $50

Dec 26, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #83 of 111
Haha, I wanna see a 16 year-old girl wear a Sony XB700, the pads will cover almost the whole head. xD

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #85 of 111

Quote:
In my opinion, if you try to get something else and don't get the beats for her, she will be either unhappy or disappointed.  I'm sorry, but being sixteen , you just want to be in the crowd or at least not stick out with something they don't understand.
As far as headphones goes for her, her friend will affect her decision on what sounds good to her regardless what the truth is. 

If you plan to get a different headphone for her, don't even try to convince her that it is better.

I say find something that has comparable bass and definitely the looks gotta be good and not to you, but to her.

for me, I would of just made it simple and get the beats for her or either that get something else beside headphones. To me her mind is probable set on those as far as headphones. I don't see anything is wrong with that, sure in reality it may not sound as good as other headphones, but the fact that she thinks it sounds better or worth the $180 than the money is well spent. kind of like a placebo effect.  also if she will be using it a lot.  Basically how much the headphone or any product is worth is how you value it.

hopefully you get the idea, if not, go around and tell people you spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on headphone and see the reaction.
biggrin.gif

or better yet imagine you wanted a particular headphone for christmas (grados, At's, senns, etc) and you end up finding the beats headphone under the tree.

I actually wanted audio techicas or sennheisers and i got beats solo under my christmas tree =(

Dec 26, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #87 of 111
QFT

I'm 14 also and everytime someone looks at me funny because of my "mad crusty" (direct quote) Senns or MDR-V6, I put the headphones over their faux-fashionable Bose/ Beats IEMs and watch them go 
L3000.gif

Dec 26, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #88 of 111
Something tells me this thread has passed its expiration date. It's past Christmas--either the girl got her Beats or she didn't. Nothing to do about it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back