Heed CanAmp
Aug 28, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #2,492 of 2,784
f00fighters;5967356 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you ever listened to your canamp with the Grado 325is?

No, only my RS-1 and it was not one of my favorite pairings.

sikki-six;5967360 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by f00fighters /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nope.

That was not my question!
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #2,493 of 2,784
My answer still stands: No I have not tried those Grados with my Canamp (I don't get your joke, if there is one). SR80 is the only Grado-phone that I've given a shot - they didn't get much better - the sound was the same.

EDIT: Being european, I don't know **** about your Grados
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #2,494 of 2,784
Just got one of these amps and initial impressions with the K701 is very positive for me. Love the tonal balance and clarity, especially from SACD.

Aug 29, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #2,495 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by carledwards /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got one of these amps and initial impressions with the K701 is very positive for me. Love the tonal balance and clarity, especially from SACD.

Enjoy this amp, it really shines with K701
k701smile.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #2,496 of 2,784
Hiya there fellow canamp owners. I have one question about this thing. I received the canamp today and have burned-in it like 3 hours by now and this thing runs hotttttt. Is this normal and is there any known issues considering this thing? The volume knob almost burns my hands.
wink.gif
Any experiences?

Thanks!

- blaz

Sep 3, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #2,497 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by blazarian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hiya there fellow canamp owners. I have one question about this thing. I received the canamp today and have burned-in it like 3 hours by now and this thing runs hotttttt. Is this normal and is there any known issues considering this thing? The volume knob almost burns my hands.
wink.gif
Any experiences?

Thanks!

- blaz

The CanAmp runs in Class A mode all the time. That is to say that from the moment you turn it on, it's going full tilt, only being limited by the volume control. What effort that is not being required of it is being dissipated in heat. This is normal of SET (Single Ended Triode) Tube amps and Class A operation Stereo amps.
While I'm sure the volume control is unusually warm, it won't burn your fingers.
The case can get hot and, like the heat sinks on big class A amps, you'd think twice about leaving your hand on them, they still won't get so hot as to leave a burn mark on you. Just uncomfortably hot.
Give it good ventilation and it will serve you well for a long time.

On a side note, break-in really does take quite a bit, more like 200 hours and it will turn a corner, breaking in.

Sep 3, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #2,498 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Cucuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The CanAmp runs in Class A mode all the time. That is to say that from the moment you turn it on, it's going full tilt, only being limited by the volume control. What effort that is not being required of it is being dissipated in heat. This is normal of SET (Single Ended Triode) Tube amps and Class A operation Stereo amps.
While I'm sure the volume control is unusually warm, it won't burn your fingers.
The case can get hot and, like the heat sinks on big class A amps, you'd think twice about leaving your hand on them, they still won't get so hot as to leave a burn mark on you. Just uncomfortably hot.
Give it good ventilation and it will serve you well for a long time.

On a side note, break-in really does take quite a bit, more like 200 hours and it will turn a corner, breaking in.

One more stupid question. So the amp keeps heating and is hot all the time if it is turned on altho no audio is played thru or volume is turned to zero? ;< So I have to turn it off from the backpanel to make it not to produce heat?

Sep 3, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #2,499 of 2,784
Quote:

One more stupid question. So the amp keeps heating and is hot all the time if it is turned on altho no audio is played thru or volume is turned to zero? ;< So I have to turn it off from the backpanel to make it not to produce heat?

Well... it doesn't keep heating... it stays very warm (hot) at all times. Like I mentioned before, from the minute you turn it on, it's running full-tilt (regardless of volume up or down).
If you don't want it throwing heat around you, you'll need to only turn it on when you want to listen through it. Yes, that means reaching around the back of the amp to hit that rocker switch.
It won't take it long to get back up to ideal operating temperature anyway so you should be fine turning it on and off as needed.

From Heed's product description:
"The CanAmp is a two-stage amplifier. While the first - voltage gain - stage is based on an integrated circuit of the highest audio pedigree, the second - power gain - stage is
a single-ended, pure Class-A amplifier. It enables the CanAmp to drive virtually any headphones from 32 ohms up to 600 ohms. The unit has no internal wiring, and the signal path is kept to a minimum on its PCB. Its high-quality, 1 dB-tolerance Blue Alps volume pot goes through a further selection process during manufacturing to achieve an even tighter, 0.5 dB tolerance."

Sep 3, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #2,501 of 2,784
Quote:

So it is fine to keep it ON 24/7 without a worry of heat causing damage to the unit?

I tend to just leave mine running since I never know when someone will come over to audition headphones, I'd like for it to be ready right away. Also, I never know when I'll have some quality headphone listening for myself so, really, it's probably more the latter.. lol

Sep 4, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #2,502 of 2,784
blazarian if you are really concerned or if you live in a very hot climate w/o A/C you may wish to explore:

1. Turning the amp off when un-attended.
2. Using an fan to cool the area.
3. Mod the case by drilling holes on the bottom and the top, perhaps installing heat sinks. Of course this is very extreme a measure and will void your warranty. So I would do as Dan or at the most 1 and 2 above.

Cheers.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #2,503 of 2,784
Im new here so hello !
I ve been reading how god is heed with akg k701/702. Im happy owner of the 702 which i drive from headphone amp on ecler mixer ! Im delightful with sound an they changed my music perception . Willing to continue and explore , but i have a dilema :

Would heed canamp justify the upgrade and money spent or should I buy headphones with warm sound because I already own senn hd 25 1 with dark in your face sound , 702 with smooth , big sounstage ?

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #2,504 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would heed canamp justify the upgrade and money spent or should I buy headphones with warm sound because I already own senn hd 25 1 with dark in your face sound , 702 with smooth , big sounstage ?

Hi,
It's like an old platitude repeated ad nauseam, but to be able to experience how good K701/K702 are, you need a high quality (read: [relatively] high power) headphone amplifier. Together, they sound just right - there is good bass, sound has "body", plenty of details, yet there is still a lot of air, space between instruments.
K701 with CanAmp are very neutral to me, which means they play music "as is", with all its beauty, but also they reveal every mastering faults. If you have high quality music - they are a blessing, but with some recordings - they are a curse
k701smile.gif

Cheers,
Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back