Heed CanAmp
Jul 13, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #2,462 of 2,784
Guys, may I just ask a survey (sort of a summary):
1. Is Heed Canamp good/better/best with Sennhesier?
2. Is Heed Canamp good/better/best with Grado?
3. Is Heed Canamp good/better/best with AKG?
4. Is Heed Canamp good/better/best with Denon?
5. Is Heed Canamp good/better/best with _______ (other brand)?

Cos it seems that the Heed Canamp is an amp that matches most of the headphone brands...Fellow headfiers, may I confirm from you.

Thank you.

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #2,464 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cos it seems that the Heed Canamp is an amp that matches most of the headphone brands...Fellow headfiers, may I confirm from you.

Thank you.

1. never heard but some people have said NO
2. NO
3. YES
4. no idea
5. Probably Heed is good with Audio Technica's if you would like to have more bass to AT's phones

Jul 14, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #2,465 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you.

I'll differ with Seba only in that:
1. I'm under the impression that it's a very good match with the Sennies.
2. not so much so with the Grados
3. very good with AKGs
4. Don't know about the Denons
5. they work really well driving Ultrasone headphones too.

Jul 21, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #2,467 of 2,784
I demoed the Canamp at my local hifi store today (only headphone amp they stock), with my RS1i's. Great looking, sonically basically a nice amp, nothing particularly special though. It had a slight background hiss. Nice warm sweet mids; deep punchy bass, a bit fuzzy though. The weird thing was the vocal presentation; rich, but strangely insubstantial, like they were going to float away or something - I'm not sure how to describe it. I've never really heard anything like it, and I still can't make up my mind whether it was actually a bad thing! Maybe it would just take some getting-used-to. Anyway, I didn't buy it.

EDIT: I meant to mention that the guy who owns the store told me he preferred the sound of wav to flac... not the best start
rolleyes.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #2,468 of 2,784
Sorry to hear your experience was a bit off-from-center. I think this speaks to the growing consensus that the Grados and CanAmp aren't as synergistic a match as other models.
This is not to say anything about the performance of the Grados, as I know they have a lot to offer but Simply the pairing of these two items, that's all.

Was the hiss something that was underlying all the music that you played? Were you able to skip through a selection of songs from different recordings, or were they all on the same album? What source? I'm just asking to better understand the scenario, that's all.

If you own the RS1i's I'd say congratulations on the nice headphones but maybe look at a different amp to run them with from the get-go.

Happy listening!

Jul 21, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #2,469 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Cucuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this speaks to the growing consensus that the Grados and CanAmp aren't as synergistic a match as other models.

Indeed.
Quote:

Was the hiss something that was underlying all the music that you played? Were you able to skip through a selection of songs from different recordings, or were they all on the same album? What source?

The hiss was only noticeable between tracks, or during silent passages. I listened to quite a few different CDs from two sources, a Naim and a Cyrus CD player.

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #2,472 of 2,784
This is my first post here, so I'd like to say hello first.

I have my CanAmp for two days, it is paired with K701, which sound great in that combination. I also have Sugden Headmaster in my speakers-rig. Comparing to Sugden, CanAmp has more power, bass is better and there is more PRAT
ksc75smile.gif
, while mids and highs are quite comparable. On Sugden K701 sound a bit too airy and light. With CanAmp these cans sound great even when listening to Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin, while female vocals and ambient music is as good, as with Headmaster.

Cheers,
Adam

Aug 19, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #2,473 of 2,784
CanAmp is getting better and better.. Right now I'm listening to Hawkwind (In search of space, LP) and must admit that despite very low mastering quality these psychedelic guitar riffs have never sounded that good on my K701
k701smile.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #2,474 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWysokinski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CanAmp is getting better and better.. Right now I'm listening to Hawkwind (In search of space, LP) and must admit that despite very low mastering quality these psychedelic guitar riffs have never sounded that good on my K701
k701smile.gif

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your CanAmp. It's great to see that you're using vinyl too. Good for you! I wound up buying something around 1600 LPs from one of my clients over the weekend. Humm.... now where to put them all... what a dilemma LOL.

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #2,475 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Cucuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your CanAmp. It's great to see that you're using vinyl too. Good for you! I wound up buying something around 1600 LPs from one of my clients over the weekend. Humm.... now where to put them all... what a dilemma LOL.

Sorry, no turntable at home
frown.gif
I'm a digital man (Apple lossless and CDs).. tweaking a vinyl setup is rather time-consuming and I am to clumsy to do it properly..

Cheers,
Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back