Heed CanAmp
Sep 10, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #2,506 of 2,784
Hi Adam
I m listening music from pc esi juli@ asio driver plugin Winamp + flac's so i think i m pretty covered in source department ! I m saving money for the heed ......
I need new toy as soon as possible !
evil_smiley.gif

I will be patient.....

Thanks

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #2,508 of 2,784
The longer you wait, the greater your pleasure. Your new toy will reward you for waiting
k701smile.gif

Cheers,
Adam

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #2,509 of 2,784
On Tuesday I bought a Canamp (from InFidelity, in Kingston, south London), as they only had their demo model in stock they let me take that home until they got my new one in, so I've been enjoying their amp and went today to get my new one.

I just opened it up and noticed that the new one (unlike their demo model) doesn't have a captive cable, it has the standard plug in cable - so anyone who gets a Canamp now and is so inclined can easily upgrade the power cable.

I bought the amp primarily to drive my K340s as well as my 80s 600ohm DT990s, it does a great job with both.

I was rather astonished at the shop trying the k340s with a Graham Slee Novo that it was unable even to provide an adequate listening volume, let alone make them sound nice.

Thanks for those on this thread who suggested the Canamp for the K340s.

Now to burn in this new amp...

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #2,510 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by lecky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I was rather astonished at the shop trying the k340s with a Graham Slee Novo that it was unable even to provide an adequate listening volume, let alone make them sound nice. ...

I sold my K340 a long time ago and was not able to try the Novo (own 2 plus a kit I have yet to put together) w/ it. Having said so, the Novo is a very nice sounding unit which has brought many hours of listening pleasure to me and many others. So please do not equate a short impression with a single can as the only basis to judge the Nove.

The Heed CanAmp is a very nice sounding unit, one I loved w/ my K701. Cheers.

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #2,513 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Can amp should own with the T1..

Why do you think so? I'm very interested in demoing T1 when they are available in Poland. These could be my next cans, but I'm not going to change the rest of my setup, so if they combine with CanAmp well, this would simplify the decision of buying T1
k701smile.gif

Cheers,
Adam

Oct 5, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #2,514 of 2,784
I should be ordering my Canamp in two weeks. And now I'm making myself late for every class by reading this thread. =D

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #2,515 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should be ordering my Canamp in two weeks. And now I'm making myself late for every class by reading this thread. =D

Priorities, priorities... you need to get this kind of stuff straight... take the headphone setup into your class, expose the teacher to it and spread the misery around.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #2,518 of 2,784
Haha, good to see you are online, Dan. Did you get my email about possibly visiting this month? I'd love to hear any other goodies you might have in your show room.

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #2,519 of 2,784
I had skipped to some later pages of the thread and read from 105-144, but now I wish I took the time to read straight from beginning to end. I'm trying to start over again, but I can't bare to read the early posts now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An amp as inexpensive as this has no right to sound this good.

Quote:

I am hearing stuff that I did not know was recorded in my Cd's because I could not hear it before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I, for one, could happily live with it forever. If I never saw another amp it wouldn't bother me, there is no aspect of the amp that offends me it pleases me from head to toe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You want to hear your HD600 in 3D? Look no further than the HEED. You want to be able to pick out every layer in your recording? The HEED. You want to tap your toes so much and have a big smile on your face? The HEED.

Quote:

I am sold on this little "wonder-box"
cool.gif

And now both sold their amps, and PinkFloyd isn't even a member anymore? What happened??? How could sound that good be turned down later? I've just been reading so many negative posts in the middle. Is this still the best amp for the money for AKG phones? Why all the changed minds and bad press?

I do have some other questions as well:

1) The power cord is 2-prong, correct?

2) The RCA outputs I was seeing on the rear of the amp ... the sound coming out remains unchanged from the input? It just passes through?

3) Has anyone with AKG k701 + CanAmp experience been able to confirm the same synergy exists with the k702?

4) My plan is to run from the analog outs of my Emu 0404 soundcard. Would this simple system benefit from a dedicated DAC in time? At what rough price mark should I be aiming?

5) Has anyone directly compared a modded and an unmodded CanAmp? How significant were the changes? How can you be sure they are for the better?

6) Lastly, which mods are the easiest? I've only soldered once or twice, and with ghastly results.

I'm focusing on enjoying my k702 now, but I'm eager to unleash their potential with my first dedicated amp.
L3000.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #2,520 of 2,784
As for the ups and downs of this thread, I can understand a negative response to the hype that started the thread. I don't doubt that there are plenty of better amps than this, albeit that I've not tried them because of my limited experience. I couldn't find a better amp that I was able to try in London for my purposes at the price or less or even a bit more. Some of the criticism doesn't match up with what I hear - using modded Fostex T20 v2, which are not the most sound stagey cans around, there is a nice sound stage with some depth, well recorded orchestral music works well. And I can clearly discern the differences between different sources. As I say my experience is limited, so the accusations of flat soundstage and of an amp that masks differences in sources might be relatively true, but they are not absolutely true.

1) My Canamp has a plugged cable, which seems to be a new feature - the socket has two prongs in it.

2) Yes, the signal just passes through.

3) No experience, but my understanding is that the 702 is basically a 701 with detachable cable, or at least that there is little difference.

4) You'll hear the difference: differences between different sources are plainly discernible to me with decent cans and this amp.

5) If memory serves, there are direct comparisons somewhere in this thread, as I recall the differences were not night and day, but discernible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back