Heed CanAmp
Oct 7, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #2,521 of 2,784
I feel I'll be expecting something like the GS-1, which is over twice the price. Yet at the same time, since this will be my first amp, I will likely be very happy with it.

Even Daniel Yee decided he didn't like his much, and from reading his thoughts, he loved the CanAmp with his AKG k701. Then he modded it to the extreme, and later he decided he wouldn't recommend it because he found a cheaper one to sound about the same as his post-modding CanAmp. I believe this cheaper amp was a complete DIY amp, which I don't think I'd do well with. With DIY or modding, I worry I will make mistakes or make it sound worse instead of better, or even break it.

Oct 7, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #2,522 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, good to see you are online, Dan. Did you get my email about possibly visiting this month? I'd love to hear any other goodies you might have in your show room.

Hey Luke. Good to see you here too.

You're certainly welcome over. I'll be happy to fire up a system here for you and you can go through some of the Ultrasone headphones that I carry too, if for no other reason than to have that experience under your belt.

Oct 7, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #2,523 of 2,784
Quote:

I had skipped to some later pages of the thread and read from 105-144, but now I wish I took the time to read straight from beginning to end. I'm trying to start over again, but I can't bare to read the early posts now.

And now both sold their amps, and PinkFloyd isn't even a member anymore? What happened??? How could sound that good be turned down later? I've just been reading so many negative posts in the middle. Is this still the best amp for the money for AKG phones? Why all the changed minds and bad press?

I do have some other questions as well:

1) The power cord is 2-prong, correct?

2) The RCA outputs I was seeing on the rear of the amp ... the sound coming out remains unchanged from the input? It just passes through?

3) Has anyone with AKG k701 + CanAmp experience been able to confirm the same synergy exists with the k702?

4) My plan is to run from the analog outs of my Emu 0404 soundcard. Would this simple system benefit from a dedicated DAC in time? At what rough price mark should I be aiming?

5) Has anyone directly compared a modded and an unmodded CanAmp? How significant were the changes? How can you be sure they are for the better?

6) Lastly, which mods are the easiest? I've only soldered once or twice, and with ghastly results.

I'm focusing on enjoying my k702 now, but I'm eager to unleash their potential with my first dedicated amp.
L3000.gif

The cycling in and out of equipment is simply part of the "hobby" side of what many people do here. Some are content to get into a setup and stay with it while others like to tinker by hot rodding stuff. Others will accumulate various setups and use them for different reasons (multiple headphones, multiple amps and sources).

Hot rodding can be a mixed bag. Some of the guys are fearless at trying different component parts and think nothing of soldering in different pieces to try them and see what combination(s) appeal to them most.
As a stock, straight out of the box amp, I'd like to think that the CanAmp is a good value.

In talking with the importer, I've recently been informed that there is a change to the next batch of CanAmps, due in soon, that are using IEC plugs, allowing for most substantial power cables to be used. There is also an across the board price hike this month on Heed products to the U.S. though I don't have the new price sheets yet.
If you've been working with a local dealer, I'd suggest checking in with them about current stock availability if you want to get in on one from the current retail pricing or maybe getting a little additional savings on a demo piece, if available.

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #2,524 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Cucuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've recently been informed that there is a change to the next batch of CanAmps, due in soon, that are using IEC plugs, allowing for most substantial power cables to be used. There is also an across the board price hike this month on Heed products to the U.S. though I don't have the new price sheets yet.

Do you know which IEC plug? Maybe the C14 plug, like for computers and rack gear? (Are there a lot of cable upgrades to be had for IEC C13/14 cables?)

Based on this change, would it be prudent to wait for the upgrade or to try to snatch one of the old ones up now? I guess that is hard to say, seeing as we don't know the amount of the price jump. Is the current two prong cable attached or detachable?

A detachable power cable would be nice, especially if I have a backup. I would like to be able to leave a cable on my desk where my amp belongs in my dorm, but also be able to take my amp in to the school's studio to mix with. Their mid-field monitors are Westlakes with a very hyped sound, and their near-field monitors are Genelecs that just have no top end. For $11,000 and $3,000 a pair (respectively), I'd expect more.

I will have two main sources, my computer's soundcard for listening pleasure, and my recording interface for my mixing projects. One option is to run my soundcard straight into my CanAmp, and when I mix, I could just use the headphone out of my interface. The option I'm trying to stay away from is using my receiver with the bad hiss as a channel selector prior to the CanAmp. Other options ... maybe send s/pdif from my interface to my soundcard, and plug my soundcard straight into the CanAmp?

Oct 7, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #2,526 of 2,784
Quote:

Do you know which IEC plug? Maybe the C14 plug, like for computers and rack gear? (Are there a lot of cable upgrades to be had for IEC C13/14 cables?)

Based on this change, would it be prudent to wait for the upgrade or to try to snatch one of the old ones up now? I guess that is hard to say, seeing as we don't know the amount of the price jump. Is the current two prong cable attached or detachable?

A detachable power cable would be nice, especially if I have a backup. I would like to be able to leave a cable on my desk where my amp belongs in my dorm, but also be able to take my amp in to the school's studio to mix with. Their mid-field monitors are Westlakes with a very hyped sound, and their near-field monitors are Genelecs that just have no top end. For $11,000 and $3,000 a pair (respectively), I'd expect more.

I will have two main sources, my computer's soundcard for listening pleasure, and my recording interface for my mixing projects. One option is to run my soundcard straight into my CanAmp, and when I mix, I could just use the headphone out of my interface. The option I'm trying to stay away from is using my receiver with the bad hiss as a channel selector prior to the CanAmp. Other options ... maybe send s/pdif from my interface to my soundcard, and plug my soundcard straight into the CanAmp?

Sorry, I don't know exactly what they are using as I don't have one yet. I imagine it shouldn't be any different from what the rest of their pieces use. The CanAmp has been the only piece from them to have a captive AC cable and I'm sure they had to come up with a new board layout in order to get the IEC plug to fit inside the box.

Some months ago,I fitted an after market power cable to a new CanAmp order for one of my local customers. It's an Acrolink power cable with Oyaide AC plug on it. While waiting for his CanAmp and headphone order to come in, (Ultrasone Edition 8s) I had loaned him my samples to buy me some time changing out the AC cable. I posted these photos on the Heaf-Fi facebook page but here you go
CanAmpCable.JPG
:
Above is what the power cable looks like going into the back of his CanAmp.

CanAmpRelief.JPG

This is showing some strain relief using simple ZIP ties to keep the cable from rocking back and forth against its solder points and to keep it from getting pulled on. (the little black disc on top of the transformer is from a pack of his Acoustic Revive QR-8 Quartz Resonators - pretty trick little do-dads)
CanAmpDetail.JPG

An up-close shot of the AC cable leads, direct soldered onto the on/off switch (and another Quartz Resonator on its side).
CanAmpLength.JPG

We fitted the CanAmp with a 2M length of this power cable, which actually cost about as much as the Amp itself.

I burned it in here and was impressed with how the amp blossomed. It seemed more relaxed in how it drove the headphones and had deeper bass that was more... multi-note than the stock cable fitted amps. This impression was echoed by the customer when I took his order over and had him listen to my demo vs. his new amp with the Edition 8s that I had loaned him (since they are broken in). He felt that the additional investment was justified by the performance bump.

I'm thinking that the latest IEC-plug-fitted CanAmps will open up more possibilities to those who might appreciate such a simple thing as changing out the power cable but without having to roll your sleeves up and get into some soldering (and also reaming out the hole for the cable to fit in it).

In your application, leaving a generic AC cable at your work station would likely work out well for you. I'd say try to find a large gauge cable, no matter what. Leave any exotic after market cable at home to pamper yourself for pleasure listening. Who knows? You might elect to bring that cable along to work with you too, once you get used to it.

Oct 7, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #2,527 of 2,784
Quote:

CanAmpLength.JPG

We fitted the CanAmp with a 2M length of this power cable, which actually cost about as much as the Amp itself.

I burned it in here and was impressed with how the amp blossomed. It seemed more relaxed in how it drove the headphones and had deeper bass that was more... multi-note than the stock cable fitted amps. This impression was echoed by the customer when I took his order over and had him listen to my demo vs. his new amp with the Edition 8s that I had loaned him (since they are broken in). He felt that the additional investment was justified by the performance bump.

You're making me jealous. That cable really cost ~$400? And it really does all that? I don't know if I can afford that...
frown.gif

I feel like I'm missing on all these things I just can't afford.

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #2,528 of 2,784
Quote:

You're making me jealous. That cable really cost ~$400? And it really does all that? I don't know if I can afford that...
frown.gif

I feel like I'm missing on all these things I just can't afford.

Don't be. Get through the school thing. That's obviously of most importance and your day will come.
In the meanwhile, a stock CanAmp or stock anything will do just fine.

Oct 8, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #2,529 of 2,784
Quote:

the little black disc on top of the transformer is from a pack of his Acoustic Revive QR-8 Quartz Resonators - pretty trick little do-dads

I would be very interested to hear how the same cable-modded amp without the quartz resonators compares to the stock amp. I was just reading a review on the QR-8 resonators, and I smell snake oil. What do you think?

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #2,530 of 2,784
Quote:

I would be very interested to hear how the same cable-modded amp without the quartz resonators compares to the stock amp. I was just reading a review on the QR-8 resonators, and I smell snake oil. What do you think?

Ahhh-----hahahahaha! wait a minute...hahahahaha!

Ahem... ok... I'm done..

It's been really important for me, as a dealer, not to delve too much into "tweaks" for that very reason. I don't want for things to appear that I'm bordering on "stake oil"... My words, not yours and why your concern hits me the way that it does.

I gotta tell you... The importer that I get these things from has a representative in San Diego and I'm just a little too accessible to him.
He'd bring over the very power cable that I mentioned or the Acoustic Revive RD-3 disc demagnetizer or these quartz resonators and we'd press them into use. Look, I hate spending money like the next guy but if I can hear a difference, flags go up and I have to ask if it's an improvement or a negative. Of course, what follows is "should I carry it?"

At some point last year, I had to ask Neil (my rep), not to darken my doorway for a while (I was half-kidding) because I can't keep buying goofy little tweaks when I need to spend that money towards real electronics (amps, preamps, speakers, etc.) but this stuff works... and it does so every time.

Very recently, I showed a customer of mine the ACOUSTIC REVIVE RR-77 and explained what it is supposed to do (it's a low frequency generator). He looked at me and told me that had he known we were going to go down such a path, that he'd have brought along his bong. Hence my concern.
jimi_hendrix.jpg

There is a point where people are going to look at you cross eyed and wonder what in the world you're thinking. The deal is, I had the disc demagnetizer here to play with for a week. When Neil came by to pick up his sample from me the following Friday, not only did I have an order for a dealer demo but I also gave him an order for 5 more units for customers that had come by and I showed them what it did. They each ordered one on the spot.

These quartz tuning dots really do work too. There are reviews of all these things on 6moons.com and Positive Feedback online. I'm sure there are others too.
I see them as a great way to move noise and/or glare out of your room and equipment for a fraction of the price of a new component (that would also likely benefit from using them also, anyway).

Sorry for the laughter at the beginning of this post. It's just that I played right into your concern by showing those photos - and realized my fear as a dealer-gone-too-far.

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #2,531 of 2,784
Will you have any quartz available for my potential visit? It will be on the 15th, 16th, or 17th of this month.

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #2,532 of 2,784
Quote:

Will you have any quartz available for my potential visit? It will be on the 15th, 16th, or 17th of this month.

Yup

Oct 26, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #2,533 of 2,784
Got a lightly used one today and bloody hell it was hot to touch. Also have a different model to most =___=. I have a removable power cord and those nice big aluminium heat sinks have been shafted for those common black heatsinks. I cannot touch them for more than half a second or my fingers will burn. The white ceramic capacitors are almost as hot.

Oct 26, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #2,534 of 2,784
Gosh, I just ordered one with a detachable cable. I hope they are okay running at a higher heat. Surely they tested this.

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #2,535 of 2,784
IT's a class A amp. As such, they run hot because as soon as you turn it on, it's running flat out all the time. What's not required of such an amp design in terms of volume is being thrown off in heat. - a natural process of the design.
Realistically, who operates any amplifier with the lid off, touching the heat sinks and capacitors? - A recipe for a shocking experience if ever I've heard one.... Please be careful.

Skye, when you were over I had pointed out the heat on the CanAmp that you were listening to. And that big system that I played for you guys with the Pass Labs amp driving it... you wouldn't want to leave your hands on its exposed heat sinks for very long either. While you wouldn't sustain burns, it is uncomfortably hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back